Approx cost to rewire Fuse Board

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by kjparker, Apr 29, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    kjparker

kjparker Member

Not doing renovations at present so all good there.

From the wiring I have seen, it doesnt appear to be paper sheathed, wouldnt know what indian rubber looked like.

I'll take a pic of the board hopefully tonight, Dont have ready access to the internet at home (having fun with telstra with the line as the previous owner never disconnected it!), so it will probably be tomorrow before I can post them upthem

2. OP
    OP
    kjparker

kjparker Member

Ok here's a (bad) phone pic of the board.

[​IMG]

There are a total of three meteres at the top, the center one has a fuse above it, cant read what it's for, or see if it is even labeled.

Not all of the fuses are labeled as to what they do, the one to the right of the off peak hw timer, is a mystery as well.

3. xc351

xc351 Member

thast a VERY old board
    the Cermeric fuses are teh older type. Your board will cotain aspestos.

the circuit breaker between teh 2 main swiches is illegal as it has exposed parts (terminals and were wire goes in) it should be in an enclosure like teh one above it.

the black fuse holders on the right are bakerlight and take weird fuses but they are industrial (if tehy are the ones im thinking off) which measn a industral sparky has eithe rlived there or done work there for a mate.

u have 2 phase power and a meter for off peak

OTHER POSSIBLE DRAMMAS

1. Rubber wire. have a look at some of teh wiring arround teh place if its like big fat figure 8 (compared to new flater twin and earth) and gray outer insulation good chance its rubbe rinsulation which cracks. soon as u try to remove some thing all the insulation will fall off. also alot of the time this is solid core not multicore. Also alot o fteh time unde rit there will be an exposed earth wire.

2. Main size. either the aerial cable from the pole to your house or from the point of attachment on your house to teh board will be to small unless it been changed in teh last 10 years.

the aerial cable does it like its twisted? thast a good sign. glat ribion like cable is very old.

how does it terminate in to your house?
    if its old cermic things were it looks like the fuse pull out at teh bottom this could be bad. there will normally be 2 or so sapce a bit apart from each other.

if it goes into a newish looking black box were all cables go to this is a good sign.

does teh main cable taht run into teh swich board look newer than teh install?

the hous eif from the 60's prolly and lets face it it wasn't designed to run lots of appliances. and tehre as been lots of crap added to your swich board.

its not uncommon for teh orhinal 4 or 6mm maisn to still be in use or it might of been upgraded 20+ years ago.'

answer what u can but i bet u the $500 for a quick board chance will run into alot of drammas.

I would serriously consider a full rewire wil be 10k but at least its done

4. mareke

mareke Member

I had the fuse board replaced in my townhouse quite a few years ago. It had the original ceramic fuses but no meters as these were on the common fuse board for the whole block located on the side of the building. The electrician charged me $550 and he installed what he said were the Rolls Royce of circuit breakers in a nice new box. The box and circuit breakers were HPM branded. If you want the whole board replaced it would be a bigger job and have to cost more than I paid. Replacing just the ceramic fuses with the newer style ones would be quite simple.

5. blakeg

blakeg Member

the black fuses are not unsual they are prob HRC fuses and were installed in the interim between SER (white ceramic) and CB's these are fine as far as Cable protection goes as long as they are correctly rated, however there is no safety switch protection
    that CB in the middle of the two switches is indeed illegals

the Best way to sort this it to get a sparky to come have a look.

How old is the house ? if the cables in the house are WHITE Sheathed. should be ok, however if they are in steel conduit or Black a rewire would be a good idea ( ie i would not be touching it , causes to many headaches. ) \

back of the board will be asbestos. up to the sparky, i wear a respirator and have a industrial vac going when drilling holes in them

As far as the mains go, any good sparky will make the main switch a CB to protect the incoming cable. if you trip it you will need to either change your habits , or pay to upgrade. , better than risking burning the house down.

:)

6. Nick_Henchel

Nick_Henchel Member

LOL:lol::lol:

7. mareke

mareke Member

I guess when you don't much about such matters a few quotes are worth getting but the old board was sparking and dangerous and I wanted it fixed quickly. The guy made two trips and took some time to remove the old board and install the replacement. I'm happy with the product.

8. xc351

xc351 Member

No worries about the black fuses I was thinking they were a different set up.

Yes a cb should protect the mains, but there is sfa chance mains of 20+ years old will be suitable for your load.

Can u post a pic of a few older cables. Old rounder twin cables will be major probs.

I used to have pics of that rubber cable. Also called vulcanized rubber.

As I work for a power company I should on my work pc have several pics of it.

I've also went to a house that had a major fire because of it. They pluged in box air con. It won't take a lot soon as u move a cable (remove point of light swich to inspect wiring is all it takes) then well u have 2 live bare conductors.

9. blakeg

blakeg Member

not always. take my currrent home.
    gas stove/oven
    gas heating
    gas waterheater
    4mm2 arials 6mm consumer mains 25 A cb (could use a 32 really)

never tripped it.

10. OP
    OP
    kjparker

kjparker Member

House was built in approx 1960, so about 50 years.

I dont see any steel conduit about the place, but will have a look around on the weekend.

Is it possible to have the one safety switch installed on that board to protect the lot, without an upgrade? Repair the obvious fault with it of course....

11. gtc

gtc Member

I don't know when they stopped using steel conduit and cotton covered rubber insulated cable, but it was in my Federation house built circa 1920, and not in my parents' house built in 1948.

12. xc351

xc351 Member

a safety swich can cover a few circuits but it will be a 3 pole unit.

4mm serisl do u know the max demand of teh cable trust me its not going to be alot.

Yes gas saves alot of power.
    but even a electric kettle pulls 10amps
    how many extra applicances,tvs, computers, air cons, heaters does your house have

a 20A cb very well could be siezed its not uncommon for them to be faulty espically when there that old.

My bedroom ac would use close to 20A

vulcanized rubber was used into the 60's but ive seen it on alot newer house's well into teh 70's

13. mareke

mareke Member

Why not just have each ceramic fuse replaced with one of the newer switches. It ought to be a simple job for an electrician. I've occasionally tripped a switch but it's always been for something minor that probably wouldn't have blown the older style fuses that used wires. It's happened for example after cleaning the inside of my microwave with water and a little moisture has seeped in somewhere onto the electrics. After the moisture dries out the switch no longer trips.

14. xc351

xc351 Member

if u are talking about a cb its no better than a fuse really he needs a rcd witch is more work.

but depending on cabling it is the least of his worries.

u could in therory put a safty swich in with doing 0 else but u'd flat out be able to fit it in there.

im over trying to be helpfull in this subject the boad is a mess the place is old 95% of wiring is going to be old its done 50+ years and desgined for a house in teh 60's were they coundn't imagine the load, appliances your house now has.

it should really need a full rewire u cant cheap out with electricity all it takes is 1 gecko, frog or mouse and your house is a pile of ash. Not to mention alot of the old methods are now unsafe. unearthed light fitting might be oh with 60's bakerlite fittings but when u put up nice stainless ones.
    using 50 year old water pipe as a earth ect

why do people hate spending money to protect there house and family members.

15. blakeg

blakeg Member

1 RCD per 3 circs max now.

Just for you i went and put my clamp meter on my mains.

kettle and toaster on, few lights, tv , stereo and 3 pc's , 22 A

fired up my welder , jumped to 32 for a few secs and tripped it out. ok ?

i am a sparky.. i am not spouting shit.

edit... also ? 4mm2. Single insulated copper. in Air. over 15 mtrs ... up to 48 amps at night and 28 in direct sunlight...

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  16. money_killer

money_killer Member

^^^^^^^^^^
    also a mix of lights and power on one rcd.

as per as 3000:2007

17. OP
    OP
    kjparker

kjparker Member

OK. Tonight is a PITA.

Turns out all the powerpoints in the house are on the one 15a fuse.

Also turns out that I dont have any fuse wire.

I also discovered that I must be an old SOB cause none of the Gen Y's who, worked in supermarkets and servo's even knew what fuse wire is, let alone had some.

Also turns out the powerpoint fuse is the one on bottom left, which is one of the older holders, which I cant readily get a Plug on circuit breaker for. If it was the same as the one on the far right, i'd be fine. Woolies had the plg in CB for those.

Does anyone know if bunnings would sell fuse wire?

Also, just for reference for xc351, the incoming cable is the "twisted type" going to a Grey box into the house. The main switch is 36amp rated.

18. gtc

gtc Member

Can't say I've looked for fuse wire in a long time, but if anybody would have it on a weekend I guess it would be Bunnings.

19. LEGEND

LEGEND Member

20. OP
    OP
    kjparker

kjparker Member

I would. Except the fuse holders I have wont accept one of those.

The fuse holders i have pre-date those type.

I managed to get to bunnings when they opened, and got some fuse wire so I'm sorted.

The husband of a good friend of my wife is an electrician, and he came through today and had a look.

He said:
    • The house wiring, whilst old, isn't a concern.
    • The lead in from the street appears to be upgraded
    • Without pulling the board apart and checking properly, he suspects I have three phase. (This makes sense, because there are a couple of three phase motors the previous owner left here)
    • The switch board needs to be upgraded, and there are at least 4 fuses that are not attached to anything - This could be for the three phase outlets that he found
    • All the power points appear to be on the one circuit, He suggests having some split onto a second circuit to solve the issue I had last night.

I'm going to get a few quotes to get the board replaced, rather than just the over the phone "it'lll be $500 bux mate" quotes....