[WORKLOG] Aqua Computer Aquaero 5 LT/PRO/XT USB Fan Controller & Aquasuite 2012

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Kosti, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Kosti

Kosti Member

Hi Extreme WC Team

As more and more of us are diving into higher end monitoring gear for our cooling needs, I thought I'd start a collection of content & information so we OCAU can have a place "locally" to discuss not only the product usage but the software controlling the functions "Aquasuite 2012"

First up the Aquacompter Forum where the product was born - the main site is in German, however lucky for all there is an English section too :thumbup:

Below are some reviews already done by various groups around the globe

Legit Cooling Reviews

Martinsliquidlab.org

A utube link of the software in action

Some images - the 1st is a GIF showing various screens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The manual

Good Beginners Guide @ SpecialTech

I'm hoping people will find this thread useful as a means to help others startup the AQ5. A single point of reference locally where we can discuss the options, configurations and a way to better utilise the AQ5 & Software in order to keep things cool :D

Become part of the AQUAERO 4/5 family :cool:

Aquaero 4/5 Members
    #001 - Kosti AQ5 Pro WC :leet:
    #002 - steve_sarge AQ5 XT WC
    #003 - kesawi AQ5 XT AIR
    #004 - mrbean_phillip AQ5 XT/LT WC
    #005 - Jakusonfire AQ5 Pro WC
    #006 - Rea:per AQ5 Pro WC
    #007 - inVaRed AQ5 XT WC
    #008 - Jza85 AQ5 Pro WC
    #009 - mojododo AQ5 LT WC
    #010 - falcon3 AQ5 Pro WC
    #011 - brayway AQ5 LT AIR
    #012 - Phatboy69 AQ5 XT WC + 6 x PA2Ultra
    #013 - Renza AQ5 LT WC
    PEACE
    Kosti

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. steve_sarge

steve_sarge Member

Thanks Kosti. Brilliant idea to get things off the ground. There's more settings than you can poke a stick at with the Aquaero and Aquasuite, so a one stop page will be just what the doctor ordered.

Though the Aquaero isn't exclusively a Watercooling Device Controller, it is a good reference place to have it here IMO. I know there are a couple of guys using this for their Air Cooled setups and will probably enjoy having a common place to resource the information.

I know Jakus was curious about having a custom graphic on his screen, so I was going to look into how I did mine.

I made a black and white "Monochrome" .png image in Photoshop with the screen dimensions
    256x64

I was then able to import it through Aquasuite's information pages area...

Click to view full size!

That works well for me. Not sure how to do it outside of Photoshop at the moment, but that's a basic idea of the size and colour required.

3. OP
    OP
    Kosti

Kosti Member

Thanks for the contribution.

I believe kesawi has done some custom screens already so I hope kesawi, Jak and Creekin and others who have them can chime in too in this thread :thumbup:

Here's a snipet I took out from your recent build log on a query

Would u like to take slot number 002 in the members group since u posted in here, I believe u have the XT right?

Thanks
    Kosti

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. kesawi

kesawi Member

Great start Kosti

I haven't done a custom screen for the LCD, but did do one for the Aquasuite Overview. It's pretty straight forward to do.

Custom Overview Screen with Background Image
    1. Go to the overview pages tab and create a new blank page.

2. Add a new item and select Custom Control.

Click to view full size!

3. Select the Display tab and the Image from the drop down menu.

Click to view full size!

4. Next click on Load Preset and you will be presented with a browser window to chose an image.

5. Once you've selected an image, it will populate the XML code.

Click to view full size!

6. If you select the wrong image, click on Load Preset again to browse for a different image.

7. Select Ok and the image will be placed on the screen.

Click to view full size!

8. You can then resize and add other information to the page to produce a custom screen with the relevant data shown over you PC.

Click to view full size!

Run AIDA64 in the Background for All Users
    One problem I ran into with Aquasuite is that OpenHWMonitor and AIDA64 only feed the BIOS temperature sensor data to the Aquaero when a user is logged in. The user must also have administration privileges. My kids use my PC under a restricted account, but I still wanted the Aquaero to get the BIOS temperatures as my fan curves are linked to the CPU and GPU temps. The solution is to configure AIDA64 to start during boot and run in the background. This is accomplished by creating a task in Task Scheduler which runs the AIDA64 executable and is triggered at boot. The task scheduler must be run as an administrator when you create the task. It is also critical that the task be configured to run as the same user as the Aquasuite Service (the default is SYSTEM). If you AIDA64 is schedule to run as a task and then you start another instance of AIDA64 while logged in, it will cause a conflict and you'll need to kill both instances of AIDA64 using task manager.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

EDIT: OpenHWMonitor can be setup to run in the background using the same steps, however it can't get the GPU temps when running this way.​

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  5. kesawi

kesawi Member

I've done that. The charts in the Analyse Data section show the correct scale but the ones on the overview still start at 1977. I though it may be some old data in the log from when the Aquaero was fist installed before the clock was set so I've deleted all log data to make sure none of the data was present. This hasn't impacted the overview screen. I've tried recreating the graphs without much success.

6. OP
    OP
    Kosti

Kosti Member

@ kesawi nice custom guide - btw which AQ r u using? Add u as #003 :thumbup:

7. steve_sarge

steve_sarge Member

Yes please mate. I'll take a number.

It will be good to keep the ball rolling with this too.

8. kesawi

kesawi Member

Thanks for your comments. My intent is to update the post as I play around and troubleshoot with the AQ5 and put my learnings there for others.

I think it would be good to specify whether each person is using it for water or air cooling up front, and then also post what gear they have connected to it.

I'm using the AQ5 XT with the replacement black face plate to control all of my case fans for air cooling. The black face plate definitely is worth it to match the case colour scheme, and I really think Aquacomputer should offer the choice when buying the AQ5. I don't use the LCD much as it is behind a door in my case and Aquasuite does such a good job. The LT would give me the same functionality but I wanted the option to have the LCD in the future. I was going to buy the Pro initially but TKR was out of heatsinks and the Pros they had in stock didn't come with one. The interface on the XT is very nice to use though. I don't use the IR remote at all, although I do intend to test it out with my HTPC as it is a lot smaller than the wireless keyboard/trackball combination I currently have.

Click to view full size!

I have 5 x 120mm fans, 1 x 140mm fans and 4x temperature sensors running off the AQ5. I have AIDA64 relaying the CPU and GPU BIOS temps to the AQ5 and am using two control curves based on the GPU and CPU temps to control the fans.

The GPU temp is linked to the base intake and side exhaust fans as their airflow impacts the GPU more than the CPU. Each of these fans runs off of its own header. The 100% control point is 70C as this is the first GPU clock throttle point for the GTX670.

I've created a virtual sensor which is the maximum of the CPU and GPU temp and this controls the pair of front intake and rear exhaust fans. The fans will therefore increase the airflow if either the CPU or GPU rises. The 100% point for the fans on the curve is 70C for the same reason above. Each pair of fans is connected to its own header via a 3-pin splitter cable.

The fan VRMs generally stay around 35C. The setup seems to be working well as it keeps the case around 2-4C above ambient at the intake to the CPU and GPU cooler under load.

9. OP
    OP
    Kosti

Kosti Member

Thanks kesawi!

I grabbed the PRO version of the AQ5 and opted for the black panel too, and from what i hear the panel replacement is not as easy as one may think and required some serious prying :Paranoid:

I'm also going to watercool the FAN VRM 's on the AQ5 via a single 120.1 RAD since the option is there and after all i'm going the whole hog with my setup - unfortunately its not going as quickly as I wanted due to a number of setbacks :upset: including funding this damn Yellow Jacket

At this stage i will be running 8 fans at normal voltage so I expect the VRM should remain just about ambient temps, so WC them should at least bring them down and hold em there should I need to undervolt my FANS to spin less than 2000rpm.

I've updated the members :thumbup:

Anyone else want to chime in share there thoughts on the AQ4/5 or AQSuite and be added to the team list

PEACE
    Kosti

10. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Good idea, Kosti, ta Mate.

I own both a Pro and LT. Great devices, will post more later.

Beano

11. OP
    OP
    Kosti

Kosti Member

Thanks Beano! Looking forward to your post!! I know how thorough you are with all your gear :thumbup:

12. steve_sarge

steve_sarge Member

After all Jakusonfire's input , I think he needs to be on that list by default. He's been a great help and an awesome contributor for anyone's questions along the way.

kesawi...

Here's something pretty cool too...

Click to view full size!

I've made a screen similar to yours, but the information is sent to the desktop for kicks...

All i did was set mine up the same as you have yours (on it's own overview page)

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=15154451&postcount=115

and clicked the desktop button to have the info displayed on the desktop as opposed to inside the program.

I know it takes away from the pretty desktop background, but it's a bit of a novelty discovering what this can do at the moment. It's one thing to have a widget, another to see it all nice and visual like.

13. kesawi

kesawi Member

Nice Sarge :thumbup: Aquasuite crashes for me when I use the desktop option :(
    Seeing your setup makes me want to water cool mine. The problem is I would end up spending too much on all the sensors and other gear to feed into my AQ5 :lol:

Kosti, swapping the panel over on my XT wasn't difficult, you just need to take care. On the XT the PCB for the touch controls is adhered to the face plate. I used a small blade to pry the two apart at the corner away from any traces on the PCB. I then worked my way gradually around using a plastic prying tool which I picked up from either Jaycar or Super Cheap Auto. You need to take care with the glass as it is only adhered to the PCB and can be easily pushed out. I imagine the Pro is similar. The black face plate looks much better IMHO.

EDIT: This is the plastic prying tool I used to separate the face plate from the PCB (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TH2338)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  14. OP
    OP
    Kosti

Kosti Member

Nice going chaps!

Yep will add Jakusonfire, Creeking and the others is they want, just need to know which unit their running etc :thumbup:

15. steve_sarge

steve_sarge Member

Hey Kes. I had an issue with Aquasuite just not loading regardless of how I was driving it. It is tedious but with a bit of patience and time, it should mature and become a bit more stable with each revision.

I've come to the conclusion that the amount of data fed to it through the different channels its bound to have a hissy fit along the way.

I'm surprised yours crashes when doing a desktop setup. It could be the amount of data pumping through it maybe???

I only have a few readings and its ok at the moment. When I get a bit more equipped, I'll probably play more.

Have you considered starting another profile the same as the one you have and adding bits from scratch to the desktop?

Also, mine was all purely software created in the suite and I'm running the suite without any other background command (ie, installed and run as admin) I am the only account on mine, so don't need guest or other user accs

16. kesawi

kesawi Member

I haven't tried to get desktop mode working as I don't intend to use it. I very rarely have my desktop visible so it's easier for me to just open it from the icon in the tray. The other thing that causes it to crash is syncing the event log.

17. Rea:Per

Rea:Per Member

Put me down. I have an 5 Pro.

ill find out what i had to set my interval time to for my koolance flow meter. its useful info and took a bit of searching when i was setting it up.

18. kesawi

kesawi Member

19. OP
    OP
    Kosti

Kosti Member

Great as I have a koolance flow meter too, so would be handly!

Thanks
    Kosti

Here is a great guide covering all aspects of the AQ5 called AQUAERO 5 BASIC GUIDE & BASIC HOW TO SET UP GUIDE located at SpeciaTech

Book mark this one, will add it to the front page, thanks for the PM

hahahha, beat me too it :thumbup:

Jakusonfire PM me the link and just posted it but u got in before me, love ur work!

Front paged updated :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  20. kesawi

kesawi Member

:lol: Had being intending to post the link for a while.

Thanks to Creekin I now know that the crash when syncing the eventlog is a known issue.