Arcade Boards

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by greencamel65, Jan 23, 2020.

1. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

A couple of months ago I found about 25 arcade boards over a couple of barns on one of dads farms (no joke!). I've returned home with one box that was marked "good". I don't have much in the way of hope of the boards operating as they have been poorly stored.

I have a couple of questions.

1. What prep work should i do to the boards prior to testing
    2. What is a decent affordable super-gun that isn't going to damage my equipment and/or the boards
    3. Any other considerations.

Photos of one of the barns.

upload_2020-1-23_15-55-37.png

qwertylesh, Vanne, WuZMoT and 4 others like this.
  2. Sledge

Sledge Member

I found an Amiga 500 that was stored the same way....
    Working perfectly :) Though that does have the case around it...

Vanne and JSmithDTV like this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Buy an industrial sized tub of isopropyl alcohol, a pack of toothbrushes, and clean like a maniac.

From there, visual inspection for bad caps, corrosion, and burn marks.

https://www.retrorgb.com/minigun-supergun-an-open-source-arcade-supergun.html

Not every arcade board is JAMMA. Some are even pin compatible but use different wiring. Google each board of you can to properly identify them before plugging them in to anything.

4. nimmers

nimmers Member

I build Miniguns for people occasionally. Could probably hook you up.

I think they are great for what it's worth :)

IMG_20190929_170704.jpg

JSmithDTV, elvis, Vanne and 1 other person like this.
  5. Vanne

Vanne Member

Holy crap!! nice find.. any idea what the boards are?

and even more holy crap.. i had no idea the mini-gun thing even existed.. FREAKING COOL!!! i have a bunch of arcade boards in holland ive never tested, or know what they are.. This thing would be awesome!!! i know one or 2 of em are from Konami's Run and Gun.. and there is a Sega multi board there withn about 8 carts.. (LOL had a laugh when i saw MJ moonwalker)

any idea what these mini-gun things cost to build?

6. OP
    OP
    greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

so i pulled the boards that i have with me at home, i think are :-

1. This board is labeled with both golden axe and flashpoint. Not sure which it is (could it be both?)
    2. Moon Patrol
    3. Gyruss
    4. The below board that i couldn't see any obvious markings on.

upload_2020-1-23_20-48-25.png

The majority of the boards are still at dads (about 600kms away). I'm visiting again in a couple of weeks so i might go through and bring some more back with me. Storage at my place is at a premium so i can't just bring the whole lot unfortunately.

7. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Please save the boards. I have NFI to keep them but I am sad to see them gone.

8. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

awesome. subscribed to see if you get any come back to life :D :D

9. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Your place is only about 15 minutes away from mine right?
    In the interest of preservation you can store some at my place while you work your way through them if it helps.

Assuming a plastic tub in my garage is a nicer arrangement than where they are now and you don't plan on going back to the farm too frequently...

elvis likes this.
  10. Vanne

Vanne Member

Love the mateship in these forums. You guys are the best.. can't wait to see what these boards are. :) And running...

11. OP
    OP
    greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Thanks for the offer WuZMoT, however i've been looking in my retro storage area (the spare bedroom) and turns out I have more boxes of cables then any sane man should have, so i'll take them with me when i head back to the farm next and chuck them in my storage shipping container. I've also recently went on a bit of a crt crusade (after months of thinking about how good your arcade machine looked!) so i have a couple of consumer crts sitting about taking up space that i'm not using as i wasn't happy with the geometry (spoil by LCD) so i need to clear them out as well. Never fear however, i ended up getting a PVM-14M4A that i am especially happy with, and as an extra bonus its not going to turn me into a cripple moving it about.

Bit of history about the boards - Dad purchased this farm about 18 years from a guy that used to repair arcade equipment back in the day. Back then being in my early 20's i seen all this "arcade junk" and promptly forgot about it. As the boards have been sitting about for a long time, and the fact that they were left being by a arcade repair tech means that I have a lot of doubt about if they will be in any kind of working state, but i'll be sure give it a go to get them working!

There is also a cabinet sitting there that i'll check out a bit more as well, i defiantly don't have room for where i'm living at the moment if its salvageable however it in another building that is reasonably weatherproof - Project for in the future maybe.

I'm thinking about having this thread moved into the worklogs to keep a bit of a running update happening however i get distracted by other projects very easily so it could be months / years between updates. Does that matter for a worklog?

WuZMoT likes this.
  12. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

SAME

greencamel65 likes this.
  13. Reaper

Reaper Member

I'd ask if I could have one to build a cab from eventually to give it a home, however right now I have no idea on what is involved in what you'd need to put one together to get working. I know you need controls, interface for those, screen interface and power supply. But what bits exactly? I dunno. So short of seeing one of you guys for a tutorial, are there any online guides? Thanks.

14. OP
    OP
    greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

So driving home from work today realized that the original use for the GBS-8220 i've been playing about with for console use was originally intended for arcade use.

This burned away at me all afternoon and i decided to hobble together a quick test jig. Then this happened.

upload_2020-1-31_21-48-13.png

The board initially refused to boot, however a quick reseat of the ROM board and it fired up.
    The image is overexposed however im thinking this could be caused by the GBS.
    Plan is to get a supergun mid feb when my next (self imposed) retro allowance is released.

nimmers, qwertylesh, Rass and 5 others like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Rewired the connector to JAMMA and another one starts up!

upload_2020-2-1_15-34-36.png

16. dexster

dexster Member

wow... what a barn find this turned out to be

btw: nice work getting them working :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Vanne and greencamel65 like this.
  17. Vanne

Vanne Member

Amazing, both top rank boards. Probably worth a mint too. :)

18. Jumpingmanjim

Jumpingmanjim Member

Wow someone hit the jackpot.

19. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

thats great OP :D :D

20. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member