ARCADE CABINET

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Epicfatigue, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Epicfatigue

Epicfatigue Member

Hey Guys, i have just purchased myself a 2 player arcade unit, with a 22 inch arcade monitor in it.

Going to walk you all through the project its not going to be a quick one as i have a family but its going to be done right.

The Plans for the project are to hardwire a computer into the internal wiring,

Soft hack the GPU to display 15Hrtz
    Hardwire the monitor to a VGA plug
    Add additional buttons + joysticks
    Hack into a Keyboard IC to wire the buttons (and coin tray as i want it to work)
    Now using a IPAC

Nearing the end of this project i will be getting someone to graffiti the unit on the sides so if there is anyone out there thats good at this let me know.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. andrew_bg

andrew_bg Member

3. OP
    OP
    Epicfatigue

Epicfatigue Member

Yeah they do not have enough slots for what i am doing,
    I am going to have coin operation wired to it,
    along with many other things, going to have buttons in the coin tray for game Gunie and switching from arcade to snes nes etc.

I know there have been people out there that have done simple stuff but this will be a unit to remember.

4. andrew_bg

andrew_bg Member

Fair enough.
    I have built mame machines with the i-pac's and have had plenty enough inputs, but no worries.
    I've also hacked keyboards more than a few times for this use, so I know the path that you are going down ;-)

5. OP
    OP
    Epicfatigue

Epicfatigue Member

lol yeah iv done micro elections so i should be okay i have the tools for the job, got any advice for me?

I have already used a stepdown transformer 230-120 as this is a USA unit.
    Turned her on worked flawlessly
    Had abit of a giggle at some peoples spelling they etched into the case,

6. andrew_bg

andrew_bg Member

My tips for hacked keyboards is to fix the keyboard controller onto a small board and solder wires to the connections on the controller and terminate them into a screw block.
    That way you can simply change the pinouts when you get one wrong instead of having to re-solder to the fine connectors.

Also, by securing everything to a board you wont tear the connectors off the PCB, I've done that before and it aint pretty.

7. Ch4iS

Ch4iS Member

Don't keyboards have a limited number of keys that can be pressed at one time?

8. andrew_bg

andrew_bg Member

Yeah that is one reason to go with the dedicated controllers.....

9. thebranded

thebranded Member

thought that was a USB limit, but PS2 does not have that limit?

10. andrew_bg

andrew_bg Member

Cant be related to USB, has to be the controller used as the i-pac's are USB and dont have the same limit.

11. Ressurection

Ressurection Member

It's a function of the Keyboard controllers not the port as PS2 and USB i-pacs exist to prevent the input ghosting issue.

I'd be highly surprised if you can use more ports than available on the ipac4 on a 2 player CAB.

12. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

OP you might want to look at the retro and arcade section for other arcade machines and what others have used.

13. OP
    OP
    Epicfatigue

Epicfatigue Member

ah was unaware of this pressing mroe then 6 buttons at the same time!

Will be using an Ipac now, and i will use a keyboard hack for the extra buttons that will not be used during game play, i will wires them to execute strings to load additional emulators.

14. OPM881

OPM881 Member

Dont forget that ipacs allow for a "shift" key which effectively makes every key have two functions.

15. Ressurection

Ressurection Member

Look into a front end like GameEx and then you don't need those extra buttons and it makes a far more smoother and intuitive process to use.

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It has nothing to do with the connector.

Keyboards use a matrix to get all of the inputs. i.e.: your input is calculated by the row-column combination you've pressed.

So what happens is you can only press a certain number of inputs simultaneously before they "ghost" other inputs, especially when you're pressing inputs on the same rows or columns. For most keyboards, this is about three keys.

Keyboard hacking is fine for old 1980's single player games. Most of those only ever had 2 simultaneous inputs (typically 2 or 4 way joysticks with 1 fire button). Complex games like modern arcade fighting games often have multiple inputs (2 players with 8-way inputs pressing multiple buttons - easily up to 10 simultaneous inputs). These games simply will not work on keyboard hacks, and you WILL notice the key ghosting.

Again, it has nothing to do with whether it's PS/2 or USB. It's how keyboards work.

USB gamepads, and either USB or PS/2 arcade key encoders (Ultimarc's iPac, GroovyGameGear's KeyWiz, and many others) do not have input ghosting, and will allow far more simultaneous inputs than most people ever need. I've used both of those controllers mentioned, as well as USB gamepad hacks across dozens of arcade sticks and cabinets. See my work here.

17. Eject

Eject Member

I think the ps2 are actually free of the problem of how many keys you can press. Where as USB doesnt work.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mechanical-switch-keyboard,2955-5.html

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

That article talks about N-key rollover, not ghosting. They are two totally different issues. *All* keyboard encoders suffer from ghosting, regardless of connector.

Quoted from the article itself:
    Regardless of that, the USB keyboard encoder devices from Ultimarc and GroovyGameGear suffer neither problem, as they are specifically designed to avoid all of those problems. Remember that those devices are not keyboards, but more like gamepads that simply spit out a keyboard signal at the very end for compatibility with MAME and other games that use keyboard input.

19. OP
    OP
    Epicfatigue

Epicfatigue Member

Ah Awesome thanks mate, will look into that :D

I am going to use groovy arcade linux i think, will test them all once i have finished to see the end result.

So this was a US Arcade machine so it was running 120v
    Solved that problem pretty fast with an Ironcore stepdown transformer 230v primary to 110v 500wat

I wired the VGA plug up to the graphics card tonight just to check that the monitor works, and shes a goer... forgot how bright a CRT could be had to turn that down and adjust the vertical hold as it was flopping allover the place.

With that fully operational i have the go ahead to start spending some cash on it.

I ordered 6x red and 6 x blue buttons to go with each joystick (not a fan of having a million colors on an arcade machine looks fake never seen one with more then 2 colors on it.

Ordered play 1 and player 2 buttons and the ipac-2
    Will be getting guns and a foot pedal at a later date.

Love the original cabnets so easy to work on to clips and the front board folds down for easy access to the controlls, as you can see they have seen better days, they all work but people have etched words into the buttons.
    the 8 way Joysticks are flawless but!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  20. OP
    OP
    Epicfatigue

Epicfatigue Member

Hey Guys while i have been waiting for the buttons to arrive i have been doing some planning,

I have created my new template for the control panel, only thing left to do is work out where player 1 and 2 buttons will go, then transfer this to a new sheet of acrylic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013