1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Arcade joystick compatible games

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jan 18, 2015.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Would like to get a thread started here of games that work well with arcade joysticks. Specifically, 8-way digital (microswitch-driven, non-analogue) joysticks, and simple push button (again, not analogue inputs) inputs, preferable with 6 function buttons or less.

My ulterior motive here is to build a retro styled arcade cabinet, and put in it a simple PC to play some of the more recent indie games that are clearly in the style of older arcade titles. But I also have a few PC-compatible arcade style joysticks around, and get a kick out of using them for gaming rather

Here's a couple of examples I'm talking about:

Jamestown (steam link, Desura link (linux version)).
    [edit] Forget it - Jamestown doesn't accept digital input for direction! Boo!

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (Not yet released)

And a cabinet someone made for this game (which I adore, and which is sort of the inspiration for this thread):

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,132853.0.html

[​IMG]

Obvious other examples are any of the PC fighting games, but I'd love to hear of more, particularly from OCAUers who've played them and verified the controls.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. OP
    OP
    elvis

Tested out Dustforce today, and it works very well on an arcade stick. I did much better on my first try on a stick compared to a lot of pad or keyboard practice. Completely digital controls, no analogue required.

3. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Cool, I was going to start this kinda thread recently. Interested in doing a similar thing with a mix of arcade/snes/mega drive and PC games.

I had trouble getting Jamestown to work with my sticks where I cant assign direction. My sticks are PS3 style that for some reason have buttons assigned to the stick rather than hat switch/axis.

Havent tested them yet but interested in the ability to run some older titles like One Must Fall 2097 and 4D Sports Boxing. I assume through Dosbox some of these old style titles would be possible?

Sorry I dont have much to add, I've been searching google recently and came up with not much!

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

Just tested this today myself. Likewise, my PS3 based controller can't be mapped. Not cool.

I would assume joy2key or similar tools would assist with older keyboard-only titles. I might give that a go for Jamestown as well.

All good. I was hoping there'd be a Steam Curator who would have covered this already, but not so. Hopefully other arcade joystick fans can join us and fill in this list.

Adding Fez to the list, which works perfectly for me on arcade stick with no config required (Steam version, under Linux)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  5. bickman14

bickman14 New Member

I have a custom built Arcade controller made with and generic USB controller, Sanwa stick and generic Happ look-a-like buttons, as my controller have been custom built the stick was soldered to the POV. I don't know if your controllers are reconized as analogs, I've heard there's a few boards that does that.

I think It's good to say that my controller has 8 action buttons plus 2 for start select, if your controller has less buttons you may find trouble with a few games while mapping the actions.

Okay now on topic, I've been using x360ce to emulate xbox 360 controllers on windows and remap the buttons as the games needs.

I am with you trying to find more games that are not fighters that would play well and I've found a few:

super meat boy, castle crashers, rayman origins and legends, toybox turbos, super crate box, pac-man championship edition dx, that pac-man collection also (it has the only domestic port of the pac-man battle royale - that one from the 4 players cocktail cabinet) and double dragon neon are good to go.

But for double dragon neon I had to map one button as one of the right stick directions to make it possible to High Five Heal when playing coop. I don't remember, but I think that without the rightstick mapped the game uses 6 buttons + start select

I haven't tried yet but I believe that guacamelee, bit trip runner and geometry dash would work pretty good.
    The arcade part of TMNT out of the Shadows should work, Sonic 4 ep1 and ep2 also.

Unfortunately Shank has to many buttons and that makes it impossible to map on that controller =/

I think sometime ago I've made a list with a few games that would work well for the time I would have an arcade controller, I'll try to find that list and come back to update you guys :D

EDIT: I believe that most shmups would work fine too. For pc I can only think of Ikaruga and Soldner X, but if you don't mind using emulators Darius Burst was realeased for PSP on japan, It's not beautiful nor have 4 players coop as the Arcade but It's a pretty damn good shmup, runs quite well on PPSSPP and I has very nice graphics. Gradius V for the PS2 is another awesome shmup and has 2 players coop, don't know how it runs on PCSX2 as my old computer didn't run that emulator at all and I did not had time to try it on the new one.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  6. OP
    OP
    elvis

I got a really cheap and nasty fighting stick with my copy of BlazBlu for PS3. The internal controller registers as a PS3 sixaxis, but the board definitely only sends digital signals (including the gamepad directions for the stick).

[​IMG]

I've put that into one of my custom made sticks (handmade wooden case, sanwa stick and buttons). I use this for my console fighters (all the usual suspects from Capcom, Namco, and Arc System Works). Now that Steam on Linux is here and I'm seeing a wonderful stream of quality indie content coming from that, I wanted to try out the stick on a PC (ultimately aiming for a PC in a cabinet running Ubuntu, Steam, and playing these awesome games).

But yeah, it appears some developers insist on everything being analogue (even with digital inputs only). Most are fine, and understand flexible input mapping is a good thing. Some are terrible ("Mark of the Ninja" only works with an XBox360 controller on PC - no other brand pad/stick works properly).

The cabinet I'm planning on making will be powered by two PS360+ controller interfaces:
    http://www.focusattack.com/akishop-ps360-multi-console-joystick-pcb/
    http://akishop-customs.com/PS360Plus.html

I'm not sure if they can be set to emulate analogue stick outputs (if they do, that might fix Jamestown for me).

7. bickman14

bickman14 New Member

From what I've read the PS360 has a button combo that activates the stick as analog or pov but I believe they would work as digital inputs for both cases as the microswitches are no analogs.
    Have you ever tried the x360ce? It emulates any controller as Xbox 360 cpntroller for windows and let you map any action to any button, if the game is only xinput compatible it let you use your regular controller and even map the analog stick on the joystick, it would still work as a digital input but if it doesnt make difference for the game it would work.

ON TOPIC: Just adding a new game to the list of compatible games: Bionic Commando Rearmed :D

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

9. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Diggin up this old thread because I've currently got the s**ts at most games on steam.

Currently in my collection that I thought would be fun to play on arcade sticks:

Double Dragon Neon
    Jamestown
    Metal Slug X
    PacMan Champion Edition
    Pacman Museum
    Platformines
    Speed Runners
    Super Meat Boy

None of which support my PS2/PC style arcade controllers. Although super meat boy at least works my hori fight stick mini.

I literally have two games working "out of the box" without having to use joy2key or xpadder.
    Street fighter 4 and Dustforce.

Anyway, I've basically decided that the best course of action is to remove the control board of the sticks I have and replace them with a hacked xbox 360 controller.

I just dont understand why none of those games let you customise your input properly. Seems like a no-brainer to me...

/rant :)

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Agreed. I kind of gave up on this thread for the same reason.

Customising inputs has to be one of the major selling points of PC gaming. But it seems that most games these days are developed for an XBox controller, and nothing else, which seems utterly insane to me.

I tried playing "Shadow of the Ninja" a while back with a PS3 controller - utterly unplayable. What's the selling point of this on Linux (or any other PC OS for that matter) if the inputs completely suck?

11. Grant

Grant Member

This kind of thing isn't really fun for indie developers or valuable for highly managed dev teams, and the convenience of the 360 pad is something that has given them a way out. It's hugely valuable to end users, so it's good that some devs still give it the time it requires, but it's something that should sit at the game engine layer, and if you're not rolling that yourself it's easy to leave controls at a "just barely works for me" functionality level.

Fortunately we have Valve pushing the problem with Steam's management of SDL2 controller mappings - it's a very nice solution within Steam but it would be good to see some good cross-platform management utilities for stuff outside Steam.

It's similar to the situation with racing wheels, where vendors will ship their own >100MB bloatware configurator to handle per-game mappings.

12. power

power Member

I thought Deadlight was pretty decent, things about digital input in a game is they need to work on getting the controls nice and tight - a lot of modern games have too much animation and everything kind of lags up while you wait for it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211400/

disclaimer, played this on a 360 controller but reckon it might suit a stick.

13. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

This is a bit selfish, but given I have an arcade monitor I'd be really keen to know how these games go running at 640x480 as well - quite a few games don't scale UI down that low any more.

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yup, I'm keen to know the same. Still quite a few games out there that look great at low res inside an arcade cabinet.

15. power

power Member

anyone tried the new Strider game with a stick - potential is there.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/235210/

Adult Swim have a few potential games as well

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312510/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224820/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238630/

Steam also hosts a ton of 2D and 2.5D schmups.

Speaking of 640*480 someone gave a negative review to Raiden III because it's "stuck @ 640*480" lol

And the positive review talks about manual config, so it sounds like a real game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/315670/

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  16. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

I ended up buying myself a madcatz brawl stick. It's detected as an Xbox 360 controller in windows and has a switch so you can choose between Dpad, Left stick or Right stick. Having much more success with this rather than the PS2/3 style sticks I have been using.
    The sticks and buttons are terrible as stock... But I'll be replacing them with good stuff now that I know it works well.
    Gamesmen had a sale recently two for $50. Me and a mate snagged some.
    $40 at the moment, still pretty decent kit for the price, feels pretty solid, even if you just want the electronics/base its a pretty good deal.
    https://www.gamesmen.com.au/xbox-360/accessories/cont-xb3-wwe-all-stars-brawl-stick

Anywho, I'm off to play a bunch of games that I previously couldnt :)

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Cheers for that link, looks like a decent stick for the price. I might grab a pair (and instantly mod them - I'm not going to stare at WWE crap for too long :lol: )

18. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Totally!

My mate got a SF4 one done up:

Click to view full size!

Heaps better than the original!

Oh and reportedly they have like s**tloads of excess stock so you might be able to swing a deal if you ask nicely :)

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Haha too late, I just ordered 4 sticks (2x xbox360, 2x PS3).

These work out cheaper even if I just want to pull them apart and use their guts for making arcade machines, compared to dedicated controller PCBs.

Once they're in, time to go through my Steam and GoG collections and see how things are with these.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  20. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Nice!

I set a bunch of steam downloads going last night to experiment with. Mostly games that I previously rage-uninstalled due to lack of PS3 controller support. Will report back!

Last thing I need to do is modify my Hori fight stick mini with a new board. I think the boards of these madcatz ones probably wont fit without some major modifications. Will look into it further...