Arcade1Up / ALDI arcade cabinets

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by melatonin, Oct 24, 2018.

1. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Member

For those using existing wiring on joysticks. My rampage cab had ground as Yellow wire. Only realised in boredom pulled apart joystick and looked at its PCB.

2. photonmoo

photonmoo Member

I picked up a Rampage Cabinet a couple of weeks ago for $149 at my local Aldi's in Warragul, VIC. The lady who worked there said that there was 2x Street Fighter and 2x Rampage Cabs when the price dropped, they went within a couple of hours. Haven't seen any since :(

3. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

:O they are still 250 here :'(

need pics of these so i and others can price match other aldi stores

4. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Member

Works done, added just below controls a pretend coin button (set in MAME to do all coins for all players) and a Dual USB Round car plug so can connect keyboard and 4th controller any time required.

In terms of Bar Fridge closest ive seen in Australia to the NerAir Fridge shown in Reddit is Husky 50l mini fridge which is about $230 on ebay. Width and Depth are perfect for cab. For Height cab will need to be boosted roughly 170mm -240mm if you want to retain Rampage/Gauntlet Image.

qwertylesh likes this.
  5. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Aww, I drove to my local Aldi determined to pay whatever price they had on the two cabs they had sitting there for ages ... But alas they had been sold.

6. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

where are you ?>

7. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

I went to Wyong and Toronto NSW.

I posted it here a while back... I blame the OCAU community for buying them :p

8. Vanne

Vanne Member

I just picked up mine from Matt,

bloody good bloke hanging onto that puppy for me.

Cheers again Matt, good to meet ya :D

MUTMAN, WuZMoT and mAJORD like this.
  9. Vanne

Vanne Member

Just got mine home to Dubai. 27kgs those boxes weigh.. while I was in Sydney, I must have dropped into 6 or 7 other Aldi's to see if I could source another, but looks like they are all gone.

Will start putting it together with my boy over the next few days.

Was pretty excited to hear how far they have come hacking these things. Looks like the Rampage is just running Mame.

Check this site for amazing info.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...hack_original_board_not_just_replace_w_pietc/

Looking forwards to rampage and teaching my kid the ins and outs of Gauntlet. :)

Thx again Matt, appreciated it mate.

badmofo likes this.
  10. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Member

I finished my cab and includes small Husky bar fridge. Kept height the same in the end and sacrificed the game titles below the controllers. Left powerboard and audio outside cab. Aim to post pics soon.

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  11. Vanne

Vanne Member

Build log... Lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One proud lil kid. ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the end result...

[​IMG]

They LOVE IT!!! :D

Couple of side notes...

What an amazing kit. So easily put together and all the parts are perfectly cut. Not sure about value for money, as the thing IS smaller than I initially thought, but just a really nice little kit. Perfect size for my kids. For an adult??? I haven't played on it yet, it got hogged all day yesterday by the kids, but just holding the sticks, I can see/feel that this would suck pretty hard after only a small time. For kids ok, for adults, definitely NO. I made copies of the parts on the boxes, so I think a full scale cab would be awesome.

But, excellent little kit for kids. :) 5 stars for what it is.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    MUTMAN and MrBigglesworth like this.
  12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

My head can't deal with half sized cabinets, and as a result your kids look like giants. :lol:

Daft_Munt and Vanne like this.
  13. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol yep they are pretty big kids.. lol JT is 8 and Lantz (the little one is 3) the other one somewhere in the middle lol..
    Just noticed, there is NO 3 player mode on Gauntlet :(
    which is a very big disappointment.. :(

I just had a little go, and lol yeah you can feel the cheapness is the sticks and buttons.. on the upside though, the LCD IS crystal clear.. The other fuck up is the slow downs in Gauntlet starting in and around level 8, thats not even talking about the fucked up sound, esp when it starts to slow down...

but hey, its a kids toy... and will do my rat bags just fine... :p

14. mrgareth

mrgareth Member

For the size - once you add a riser, they actually become suitable for adults - still not as wide as a real cab, but I find it's the perfect size for me.

[​IMG]

I swapped my old Pandora's Box 4S with the newer 6 board, which adds MK and the ability to add games :)

15. power

power Member

Are these still worth getting, specifically the street fighter one?

16. timdotexe

timdotexe Member

I don't think they would be in stock at any Aldis now? I have the street fighter one and its great fun after doing some custom work.

17. Vanne

Vanne Member

if your looking to actually play, build your own.

18. power

power Member

I've seen them out there still, most are 250 it seems like everyone rips the guts out and essentially just uses the screen and cab. Seems a bit expensive for a screen and cheap cabinet.

19. timdotexe

timdotexe Member

Yeah thats what i did on mine, replaced the sticks and buttons and mounted an old PC i had running MAME and emulation station on.

Only really worthwhile if you want a project and don't mine a small style cab (i've got a custom riser on mine)'

Not worthwhile at full price in my opinion but as cheap as they got, certainly worth considering.

20. Vanne

Vanne Member

On a riser, this would work for single player games. 2 big guys next to each other playing SF or anything else, just wouldent work, it's very cramp, even with my 2 little kids on it. Not saying don't get it, just saying, if your looking to play more than just very casual, then find/build a proper cab. The artwork and ease of putting this thing together DO make it for a nice little project though.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019