Arcade1Up / ALDI arcade cabinets

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by melatonin, Oct 24, 2018.

1. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Hell even on my full size cab, when me and another fatty play 2p games it's squashy and you need space beside both sides of the cab.
    If the cabs flush against a wall it's 1p play only

2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

What's wrong with the standard sticks/buttons?

3. power

power Member

Best as a can tell not compatible with rpi or Pandora that most people shove in there. Also debatable quality.

4. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Bugger. What sort of interface do joysticks/buttons use for rspi? Like USB game controller?

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

A 10-20 dollar "zero delay" usb encoder does the job fine.
    Depending on a few things you can use the gpio.
    But some extra setup and stuff on that.

I dont know about latency times between the two, assume everything is better going direct ??? but interupts for gpio scanning must be a hit too ???

Vanne likes this.
  6. Vanne

Vanne Member

I used to use a keyboard encoder, way back then, i am sure these chinese usb encoders are better than that.. lol
    And the joysticks are of course compatible, just maybe the quality isn't there, though they have been fine on mine, no complaints about the sticks there from the kids. :D

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. nic55

nic55 Member

It's a good little shell for modding IMO, I've put a PC with bigbox in mine (SF2) after finding some slowdowns with a pi3.

They've also just announced a Star Wars cab https://twitter.com/BionicBuzz/status/1138940634947960832
    Not sure on our chances of seeing it here, nothing seems to have been sold in AU since the original release.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    TheWedgie and MUTMAN like this.
  9. elvis

10. Grant

Grant Member

11. elvis

On my build list is a full sized TMNT for a mate. I need to get off my arse and start that.

Vanne likes this.
  12. elvis

Looks like demand for these things is still going in the US at least. More models and licenses popping up at E3.

MUTMAN likes this.
  13. power

power Member

you should be on their FB group, the people there build their own arcades out of the bastards (yes I'm jealous) we even have a few aussies that import them and all the costs that entails.

For some reason "Golden Tee" is the holy grail for these guys, i dunno it i've never heard of it.

There are also very strong rumours we WILL be getting more machines here, Canada recently got a release of Star Wars and others and many Canadians celebrated.

Oh also, Myer of all places had some Rampage units still in Australia!? (I know right, didn't even know they stocked them).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  14. elvis

I nuked my FB profile a while back. But on the topic of physical builds, I have a giant shed full of power tools, and 5 cabinets I've built myself in years gone by. If you ever want to build your own, let me know, and we'll tee something up. Happy to help out with labour and technical things, provide use of the tools, whatever, if you provide materials and transport.

It's quite a good "pub game". Easy for drunk dudes to play. I don't like either golf nor video game golf, so I've never had the desire to build one myself. I've got a "Silver Strike Bowling" cabinet with a trackball, and have had friends tell me to convert it to Golden Tee. But I just don't wanna.

Vanne, MUTMAN and Rass like this.
  15. power

power Member

i get super jealous of you guys with sheds and stuff, i've been living vicariously through WuZMoT and his awesome cab build. One day when i move out of inner suburbia and into a house.....

16. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I don't mind golf or bowling but I think bowling has more universal appeal.

I reckon anything that's not simply buttons intrigues people and in the case of steering wheels/light guns people are more inclined to have a go because the barrier of "how do I play this" is gone. A Trackball might not be a direct translation of how to play golf but people know how to "spin a ball". I handed my mum the gun in Virtua Cop 2 and when she died she immediately said "how do i go again" and not too long after that I had left the room and heard her shout out "dunce cop!" and chuckle :D

There's an old episode of True Life "I'm a Gamer" that I'll assume you have seen but probably worth checking out for other people one part follows a guy at his local entering golden tee tournaments with prize money seemingly every Friday night.

That episode also shows a young Fatal1ty and while I don't like the associated wank of branding that ensued it's an interesting watch considering the time it was filmed and where professional gaming is now.

I started typing my post and this appeared but I was also going to say power knows he can capitalise on my tools anytime he's ready :)

EDIT: +1 for no facebook, how's the serenity!

elvis, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

TMNT would be a hit over here for sure. If they could get the licensing sorted than Simpsons is basically the same cab, and that'd be a hit too.

Vanne and WuZMoT like this.
  18. elvis

Bartops my dude!

19. Vanne

Vanne Member

Pretty darn nice of you matey to offer your tools and skills/time. awesome forum this.

Think iam going to canabalize my rampage to make it into Wonderboy. I'll cut a new joystick panel and make it a 2 player horizontal setup I think.(dubble dragon company) They way rampage has the buttons is fucking useless.

Got enough shit lying around to make a proper name setup. I'll order 2 extra encoders and a LCD card thingy.

WuZMoT likes this.
  20. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I forgot to mention part of the True Life "I'm a Gamer" episode also has that pacman/donkey kong dude that turned out to fake his scores - haha!

A blemish I suppose but I remember watching the episode back when I was in high school so it's sort of nostalgic to me to watch it again in retrospect.

Also it's 2019, I'm being a lazy idiot by not simply linking it!