Arctic Camouflage HAF-X.

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by kilebantick, May 11, 2013.

1. kilebantick

kilebantick Member

My best friend and I, whilst at a local electronics shop (which is where we usually get all of our brilliant ideas) decided once and for all that painting his spare HAF-X case with an arctic camo color scheme was a brilliant idea.
    We sourced the paints that we were after from a variety of different stores. You'd be surprised at how little variety there is these days.

We got the desired paints (and clear coat), some masking tape (and some prep-wash) and then headed back to his to begin.
    We disasembled the case and then set out to draw (and cut) up the stencils that we were planning on using for the camo design. The base color was a flat white, with a dusk grey layer and then a medium grey layer and last but not least, a matte black layer which was then covered with a layer of clear coat.

These are the pictures we took of the entire process.

It's important to us for you guys to know that this was a completely random idea that we had and wasn't influenced in any shape or form by any other designs or builds. We designed each seperate stencil BY HAND ourselves. Everything you see was creation from OUR noggins. Just to clear that up. We had an absolutely amazing time and are REALLY pleased with the results!

We're planning on selling this case (as it's a spare), would anyone here be interested? :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. electro rc

electro rc Member

I'll order 3:thumbup:.

This paint job looks absolutely tops, great idea.
    Cheers,

EDIT: Might as well give you some of my thoughts. If you wanted the case panels to all "blend" (which IMO would look just that little bit nicer) you could have had the case assembled for the camouflage colours. You couldn't get the paint on the chassis then but I'm guessing you didn't want/didn't do this anyway?
    Cheers,

EDIT2: Just saw you're thinking of selling this case. What would you be wanting for it?
    Cheers,

EDIT3: What brand paint(s) did you use?
    Cheers,

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  3. OP
    OP
    kilebantick

kilebantick Member

Didn't want the colours to "wrap" around the case in a uniform style. On the fan-panel side of the case, there's a long plastic strip at both the top and the bottom that would break the colours up anyway and as such, we wanted to keep THAT style throughout the whole case. It also turned out to be a lot neater and easier to paint it that way too!

Just run of the mill "Squirts" paint (Flat white, Dusk Grey, Mid Grey and Matte Black, with two coats of clear-coat on top).

Dunno regarding price! I'll get my mate to jump in and shoot you a PM or something, it's his spare case that we painted :)!

Thanks for the comments mate :)

4. orangebp

orangebp Member

Hi, I'm the friend :D

The case is beautiful from afar but sadly has a few close up flaws.

As the paint was only completed yesterday, we haven't had anytime to tidy everything up. Most of these would be fairly minor jobs to fix and can be done later on when we have time. Still, I feel for my first (Kiles second) paint job, we did a spiffing job.

I figure I should point them all out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess if I was to sell it, res would be around $100pp.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  5. HM4A1

HM4A1 Member

Its a quick and sexy job! Nice work :thumbup:

6. ShowponyStuart

ShowponyStuart Member

looks pretty sweet. As for my though, the only thing I would have done (tried to do) was use the camo pattern to hide the changes in height on the side panels a bit (in the same way camo is supposed to break up the outline of a person)....but I would need someone with much more artistic talent than me to pull that off.

Also has it been sold yet?

And again, nice work, better job than I could hope to achieve.

7. clinic

clinic Member

love it :thumbup:

8. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Nice job lads, quick-and-dirty mods always win with me. :)

Grats on the front-page mention. :thumbup:

9. phunk

phunk Member

Hi lads, Look's very nice, imagine if you spent a little more time, would of been a huge winner!

Still looks great though, great idea!