Arctic Silver's new TIM application method for Core 2 Duo cpus

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by eva2000, Oct 23, 2006.

1. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

Seems Core 2 Duo cpu's IHS have prompted Arctic Silver to come up with a new way of applying TIM such as AS5 and Ceramique http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

Check box redirects you to the appropriate pdf guide. For Core 2 Duo it's at http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

Excerpt from pdf guide

2. Joehax

Joehax Member

Wish I had seen that before I mounted my TT120, its such a pain to mount >_<

I wonder what difference in temps people will see between those who just use the "centre blob" technique and those using the updated method?

3. T_M

T_M Member

My guess is bugger all Joe
    The most important thing is not to use too much

4. NRGU

NRGU Member

what about the IHS that is concave ><" surely ud use more than a thin line...

5. Liquid-69

Liquid-69 Member

lapping time :lol:

6. Fool

Fool Member

just a noob question why is too much bad?

7. bb7_rider

bb7_rider Member

i just internally mounted a tripple rad in my p180 (was on the back of the case before, and put the paste on using this method, running now at 10% load for the last half hour, 39c e6600@ 3.33 1.50v temps before i started messing around with the rad were about 45c under the same conditions, i know that the different paste method couldnt make THAT much difference surely, but it definatly didnt hurt!

edit: could be the fact i decided to use some left over coolant from when i did my car with 369g/litre ethylene glycol? i gathered thats a fairly high concentration, wasnt cheap, but appears to be very good! thats the only think i can think of, temps should be HIGHER if anything since the rad is inside the case now, and the as5 hasnt cured yet.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  8. hendot

hendot Member

Water is better than glycol as fas as computers are concerned. Most people use nulon ultra cool, which has no glycol.

9. drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

Thanks for that. Good for when I buy my E6300 when my mobo and ram do arrive, anybody know the latest time of arrival for a normal post parcel from Perth to Melbourne? Or have I just lost $350 to the postman again?

10. Omarko

Omarko Member

EVA, so do you think we should all re-apply and remount our coolers and blocks? have u tried? or others ? any results? surely this cant make big difference.

since I added my X1950XTX to the loop my load temps at 26C room temp are now on my 52C on my moderately OCied E6400 which I think is a bit high. :(