Are any CPUs worth mining with?

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by aussie-revhead, Apr 12, 2018.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, while chipping away at ETN I got wondering, are there any CPUs that work particularly well and anything worth mining with them? Are there any multi CPU servers that can be implemented for this purpose? I'm not even worried about profit, as long as it pays it's way. Or quit now while I'm ahead?

Come on guys, inspire me

:D :D

2. qwijibo

qwijibo Member

I think the only thing worth mining on cpus is cryptonight and its variants. Look for CPUs with lots of cache and low power usage. I *think* its still marginally profitable to mine on a r5 1600 and r7 1700 - but only at stock, and not on their own - but if you built a mining rig with one of them as a cpu, it'd be worth mining on it. But you'd be better off saving the money and spending on GPUs.

Same for Broadwell Xeon - find one with an ungodly amount of cache, and a cheap X99 mobo off the forums, turn it into a rig, and mine on the cpu as well as the GPUs.

Just plugged in r7 1700 numbers into whattomine.com, and it says it grosses about USD 0.76 per day - subtract power costs, and you get an ROI of 2+ years.

3. AERO

AERO Member

my i5 4670 (at stock) on nicehash predicts anywhere from 10-14 cents a day mining lol. hardly worth it. when using nh i have it going otherwise no point.

would consider gettong one of the ryzen vega chips lol, if they bring out competative chips to that then yea not bad i guess. wont be like mining with a 1080 but still more than nothing

4. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

4670 has a TDP of 84w. Conservatively let’s say it uses 50w more mining with CPU vs CPU at idle.

0.05 x 24 = 1.2 KWh per day
    Unless you are paying under 10c for power you should disable the CPU.

Most commonly used mining CPUs are in the same boat.

5. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, I was thinking more along the lines of server cpus with lowish clocks and lots of cores, not desktop cpus (as I know these dont produce much).

:)

6. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

i mine with my 7800x and my ryzen 1700 -- only because these machines are on 24/7 anyway

the 7800x uses 50w above its usual load
    I have not checked the ryzen power usage but im guessing it will be similar maybe a little less

both has at around 400mh/s on monero atm

unless the system is on allready its not worth mining with CPU's currently and defently not worth buying a expensive cpu to solely mone on.

at current prices and difficulty I make approx 50cents (total) a day from both cpu's

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  7. qwijibo

qwijibo Member

8. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Ok fair enough then , point proven.

9. gmturner

gmturner Member

there are rumours mining waltonchain with cpu's is quite profitable at the moment.. but may not last long.

10. AERO

AERO Member

my cpu is currently getting about 22c a day on nicehash haha :) its a i5 4670 at stock :)

11. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Yeah I dont want cents, Im looking for coins to hodl. Dollars is a different story ...

12. clonex

clonex Member

Please tell more :D

13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Never thought I'd see 7800x and 1700 in the same sentence by you.

Did you get a Ryzen setup?

14. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I bought a failzen 2nd hand cheap :) as a media PC

this is my 2nd failzen system I had one that was my main gaming system that I bought when they launched -- it sucked as a gaming system so I sold it ( didnt loose any $$$) and bought the 7800x.

15. AERO

AERO Member

well, i say that, but i havnt taken out the power costs haha :) but eitherway my pc is mining with the two gpu's, thats just what nh is saying anyway. (have my gpu's on am/mph at the moment as i wanna bump up my next eth payout though ill take a while to mine the required .1 eth for a payout :p)

16. Jaco

Jaco Member

I have a handful of complimentary 12 virtual core VMs that do alright on nicehash, but CPU mining these days really isn't worth it out of equipment you own -- which is pretty much why Dual Mining your GPUs died off pretty quick as ASICs take over everything

Here's an example of where one of them gets me, again -- 12 virtual cores elected

[​IMG]

Even having a G3900 / 3930 or i3 / i5 in your GPU rigs running isn't worth the hassle :(

So I wouldn't bother imo

17. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Yeah fair enough, I thought maybe one of these multi cpu lotsa cores servers might churn something out, but I guess not.

Cheers