1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Are battery cycles hard coded?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by DrJK, Apr 5, 2020.

1. DrJK

DrJK Member

My awesome Macbook Pro had an issue with one of its keys and it was covered under a special warranty so I got it fixed up a couple of weeks ago. I went to check the battery cycles because I'm wanting to sell this next week or so and saw that it was only at one cycle. Someone said that whoever changed the keyboard reset the cycle count but that sounds a bit suspect; I would've thought that wouldn't be even possible and that there's some sort of hard-wired coding involved that can't be tampered with, thus the logical answer being that the battery was replaced as well. Is it possible to reset a battery count and even if it was, why would an Apple authorised repairer do so? If it's not, can I safely assume I am the lucky recipient of a new battery in addition to new keyboard?

2. Hater

Hater Member

Yep you got a new battery.

DrJK likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    DrJK

DrJK Member

Well that's a bit of awesome. Weird they didn't say anything about it; I would've thanked them profusely for it given it's been in everyday use for over two years now so that's a pretty significant freebie.

4. magius

magius Member

Maybe the keyboard is linked to the battery somehow, so change one and you have to replace the other.
    Otherwise, you just got an awesome repair person!

DrJK likes this.
  5. Hater

Hater Member

I dunno why they did it but my Air copped a new battery when it went in for backlight bleed issues... There are many reasons to hate Apple, but the aftersales support is not one of them

everybodies and DrJK like this.
  6. Renza

Renza Member

They're both part of the top case assembly, the keyboard can't be easily removed and the battery is glued in, so if either needs replacing, then the whole assembly gets replaced.

DrJK likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    DrJK

DrJK Member

So finally the whole 'soldered on' complaint about Macs becomes a good thing? :D

8. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I work for an Apple Reseller / Repairer but not as a service tech. For some strange reason on a MacBook Pro the battery is permanently glued to the Top Case while a MacBook Air its glued with removable glue and a couple of screws.

Working with other Vendors as well I can say that Apple really is one of the best when its comes to consumer level hardware for warranties. Spare parts (other than batteries) come next day and there is rarely a supply issue.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    [KEi]SoVeReIgN and DrJK like this.
  9. m3k

m3k Member

lol this is literally the polar opposite of what i hear from other forums and people and you-tube videos- Apple tends to have some of the worst after sales support- ESPECIALLY after warenty-
    however i guess if ur within warranty it doesn't matter

the new battery situation is a bit odd- I know with my MBP it tellls me battery health after a few charge cycles- just run some apps and do a few charge cycles and see if your MAH is correct so you got a genuine battery.

sometimes novice repairers stab batteries trying to undo the glue because they are clumsy so instead of risking it and giving u a punctured battery they just give you a new one- its strage how they wouldent fess up to it though

10. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

After warranty you are not wrong, they stuck ass. Parts are crazy expensive (screen is $600+ cost price for the repairer + Labour, I have seen some SSDs be like $2000 for something like 512-1TB), then after 5 years (Legacy) they stop making parts. As an Authorised repairer we are not allowed to install 3rd party parts, even out side of warranty and even if the legit parts are legacy. Got a iMac with a broken HDD that would take a $70 SSD and 30 minutes install time to fix, GTFO.

As for the OP, if he got it repaired under warranty and by and Authorised repairer he would have received a new top case which includes a genuine battery.

We have done repairers for Acer, Lenovo, Fujitsu, Microsoft and HP. Apple can be a bag of dicks some times but we have never had issues getting parts in a timely manner , some of the others have literally had a 4 week wait on parts.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    m3k likes this.