Are early upgrades still a thing?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Anteros, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Anteros

Anteros Member

I've been with Optus for 8 years or so, multiple mobile accounts and home internet.

I've just clocked over 21 months on my phone plans and was looking to upgrade and at the same time organize NBN which is getting connected to my address in a month or two.

I've been month to month on my internet plan for years now, so I would assume locking into an internet contract would have made them more likely to want to keep me around but there was just no way of renewing/upgrading my phone contracts early this time without paying it out until the end. I've done this with Optus every single time I've gotten to 21 months before so it just seems weird that there was no budging this time, not even telling me I might be able to do it 1 or 2 months early, I'd have to get right to the end of the 24 months.

I know that's exactly what a 24 month contract means but last time (21 months ago) THEY called ME to tell me I can upgrade early so it seems out of the ordinary that they refuse now. Is this no longer common practice, or have I just been lucky in the past?

2. sanjay

sanjay Member

its definitely still a thing. they probably dont see any reason to give you any good offers because youve been with them for so long. telcos dont reward loyalty.

3. clonex

clonex Member

i seem to recall reading something on WP that its not and having said that I rang up the other day and was told i need to wait till june to upgrade my phone as thats when the contract expires.

They wouldnt let me upgrade my ipad either just before xmas, contract expired first week of feb.

4. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Up until 6 months ago, I was on a couple of back to back 24 month contracts. The last one was to finish in October last year, but come July/August I called to change my plan from a plan with a phone for 24 months to a sim only plan for 12. I was contractually inside the period where I could request a change with minimal to no penalty, but they said all I had to do was pay off the rest of the handset, which was 3 months worth, so for the last 3 months, I was paying for the new cheaper plan + the outstanding monthly handset payments.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Telstra always seems willing to give me plenty of discounts based on my loyalty but probably all just spin to make the customer feel valued....ha.

6. Digit

Digit Member

I went in to the Telstra store today to ask to go from my phone + contract plan (expires in June), to a byo sim only but they said no. Do i just have to keep trying different people? I definitely was allowed to upgrade early with Virgin

7. OP
    OP
    Anteros

Anteros Member

I'll go into an Optus shop and speak to someone in person, or call them and see if I have any better luck. Failing that I'll contact telstra and see if they can offer me some good discounts to move to them.

My other option is to split services across maybe dodo and Vodafone.

8. clonex

clonex Member

sorta wish i knew that a week ago as that 10% off $40 plan with something like 40gb and international roaming would of been sweet as my S8 handset payments are only $9.

9. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

What kind of no was it? No you can't upgrade at all? Or no without any consequences?

If you're within you're within your contract period you will always pay an early termination charge which in your case, will be the handset termination charge.

For example, your plan is $88 per month ($79 plan + $9 for handset per month).
    Let's say your handsets RRP/OUTRIGHT cost at the time you signed your contract was $768.
    Whenever you jump onto a 24month mobile contract, usually telco's subsidize your handset cost (which is why sometimes you'll see $0 handset repayment IF you stay connected for 24 months - if you cancel/end your contract earlier, you lose all the discounted/subsidized costs).

So, $768 handset value divide 24 months = $32. You're paying $9 per month. That means you're getting a $23 discount per month WHILST connected to your contract during the 24 month period. If you break early, you lose the discount and pay the handset termination charge.

Your case, your contract ends in June which is 2 months from now - so your cancellation for the handset will be $32x2 = $64 payout (give or take pro-rata).

The telco will waive the plan contract $79 times the remaining months because you'll reconnect with them onto a new plan commitment. If you plan to leave Telstra, they'll charge you both.

Hope this helps.

10. Skexis

Skexis Member

If you're going from a phone + contract plan to a sim only plan that's a downgrade not an upgrade.

11. power

power Member

i find plan changes with Telstra easiest and most flexible on 24*7 chat.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Online chat seems to be preferred by most, where you can try different operators and you certainly can get quite different results.

13. OP
    OP
    Anteros

Anteros Member

I received an email last week telling me they will give me an early upgrade while waiving my handset charges. After being told this was just something they don't do anymore.

I called up, explained my previous conversations and was given this upgrade along with my first month free.

14. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

As has been said, Optus will give you an early out whenever you like with the remaining (unsubsidised) handset costs spread out over three months (if you're signing a new plan) or in one hit if you just want to walk away. I did this for an iPad a few months ago which was pain-free.

Normally it works out that SIM Only + unsubsidised handset cost (over 24 months) = monthly plan cost. Basically, you are getting a 24-month interest free loan to get a phone if you buy it with a carrier (they also like to pocket the much higher monthly plan costs when you don't upgrade to a new handset or reduce yourself to a SIM only plan).

I like the Vodafone approach. Monthly SIM Cost + handset divided by 12/24/36 months, walk away anytime you like by paying out the handset. Simple and easy to understand.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

This is the "send the old one back if it's in good condition" deal right?

16. OP
    OP
    Anteros

Anteros Member

No, this is the same as it used to be, they waived all handset costs, I get to keep the phone and I get to upgrade to the new phone 2 months early. Years gone by I always got the offer 3 months early, I used that as the basis of asking for my first month free and they agreed.

This, I was sure was standard practice back in the day. That's why I tried this time in the first place and was told under no conditions would they do this any more. Then I got the email telling me they would, so I guess they are still a thing, you just have to jump through more hoops.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think I vaguely remember something like that, was that Telstra?

18. Azzan

Azzan Member

I've been with Optus for past 7+ years(same with mum/dad) on $30 per month(not contract), and I totally regret it now.
    Just changed to Woolworth/Telstra today on $20 per month plan.

Optus $30 per month(not contract) = unlimited talk/sms + 1GB data
    Woolworth $20 per month = unlimited talk/sms + 5GB data

Optus $45 per month(plan) = unlimited talk/sms + 4GB data
    Woolworth $20 per month(plan) = unlimited talk/sms + 5GB data

Samsung Galaxy S10 on Optus 24mth contract = $1896 (79 x 24) 4GB data
    Samsung Galaxy S10 on Woolworth 24mth contract = $1628.64 (67.8 x 24) 5GB data

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've been with a variety of vendors that use the Optus network, over the past few years and no issues here.