Are ESD wrist band necessary for taking your motherboard out?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by dogfeeder, Oct 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dogfeeder

dogfeeder Member

Hey guys,

Are ESD wristbands and mats necasary for taking your motherboard out? i dont have one and i am expectiong my noctua cooler to come in the mail today and i need to take my motherboard out and other components, and also What other things can i do if i do need a grounding device?

2. kenny34

kenny34 Member

This is a bit like seagate Vs Western Digital. Different people have different opinions.
    Personally, I've never used any kind of wrist strap thingy.
    Just touch the side of the case first to uncharge yourself, and don't work on the board/comp if you are on that carpet that makes you zap things when you touch them.

3. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

Just ground yourself on the case as mentioned and handle the components by the edges of the pcb.

4. OP
    OP
    dogfeeder

dogfeeder Member

okay thanks, so i can just rebuild it on a standard wooden table?

5. hellcat

hellcat Member

I've never used a a strap and always been fine. That being said if you'd feel more comfortable handling the motherboard with a strap, then by all means. Though I don't think it's necessary.

6. kenny34

kenny34 Member

Yep. That's all I do. Workbench in the shed, or the kitchen table, if I know i'll get it all done before dinner time. :D

7. BeStRaFe

BeStRaFe Member

i was forced to use ESD straps when i was working at a service center,
    when i pointed out we had the rubarised floor and the correct procedure for grounding yourself on the case the policy was changed.

the straps get in the way!

8. NormM

NormM Member

Try ancle straps :)

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Yes, I have done it many times without a ESD.

Tip #342719829: Have clean white A4 sheets of paper and lay out parts (screws etc) on each one for each progressive step you take.

10. Buriedpast

Buriedpast Member

ive assembled lots of rigs on the carpet whilst sitting on a bean bag......go figure.

11. idosillythings

idosillythings Member

Dont worry about the strap you should be ok. Like other people have said just touch the metal case once in a while.

Just to be sure I would avoid directly touching any of the chips on the mainboard. Handle it by the edge.

12. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I've personally never used one, but I always make sure to discharge myself regularly, just don't do the below and you should be fine :lol:

13. Roe

Roe Member

ESD Straps aren't essential. I usually leave the PSU plugged in but turned off at the wall. This will still provide an earth for the PSU which in turn earths the chassis. I make sure I touch it anytime I need to install or uninstall any computer components. Everything i remove then goes into an anti static bag. Oh yeah I also have an anti static mat that sits on the desk. :thumbup:

14. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

I'm probably a static nightmare waiting to happen. Motherboards are particularly difficult to handle, I usually end up using the CPu heatsink (if installed), the IO ocnnectors or onboard motherboard heatsinks, but I frequently touch the back of the graphics card circuit board when working in my computer and I haven't had any trouble so far (touch wood). Although I usually do lay things out on antistatic bags and touch the case every so often

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  15. Mystro1

Mystro1 Member

^^ exactly as above, just touching the case wont ground you if its not plugged in to something grounded.

I don't have an anti static mat and tend not to worry about these things any way, I do however generally place things on anti static bags rather than carpet if i happen to be working in a carpeted room. I'm not really one for caring about static, never killed a thing in my 10+ years of working in the IT world.

16. Paper Mache Man

Paper Mache Man Member

For most people the inconvenience outweighs the risk (which imo is tiny).

Once computer components have been soldered down to the PCB, they are heaps more resistant to static damage than chips coming straight off the production line etc.

17. dascooby

dascooby Member

I've never used any sort of antistatic wristband and I've never had any problems when changing PC components regarding static electricity- including RAM.

I suppose when you touch your case it relieves the charge, but I'm bot that good with science.

Just as long as you don't change PC components outside on a windy day while wearing and woolly jumper and rubbing a balloon on your head, you should be fine.

18. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

I have heard of someone staticing their graphics card, but it's quite rare and even if you don't follow some of the precautions it's unlikely that you'd "zap" it.

19. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Not worth a pinch on a rubberised floor I'm afraid, unless the floor has been treated/coated with the appropriate conductive polish and properly grounded out...

20. salochin

salochin Member

Perhaps I'm paranoid, but whenever I need to open my PC (which is every few weeks, I like to keep the inside spotless), I switch off the PSU, take out the cord, take the side of the case off, immediately put on an ESD strap and attach it to the case. My desk in a carpeted room, though.