Are gaming mouse pads worth the money?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by jassinlive, May 20, 2010.

Tags:
?

Do you think gaming mouse pads are worth the money?

1. Yes

170 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. jassinlive

jassinlive Member

I just thought they were an over priced mouse pad with some fancy logo's on it.. but after reading a review it really changed my perspective with the guy saying he couldn't go back to normal mats.

Anyway, what do you think?

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. FarZK

FarZK Member

I rather like the large mat style mousepads, and they are really nice to use, they definately are better than a desk surface. But I wouldn't pay a lot of money for them.

3. hdcm

hdcm Member

4. tek_01

tek_01 Member

If what you are currently using is large enough for you and also your mouse works well on it than there is no reason to waste your money

but if you want looks, than why not
    if you think your going to get more kills, prob not

5. lawlz

lawlz Member

if you play any game competitively you cant go without one, that being said i used a trusty cloth pad before i ever got serious but when i did i went and bought my first func pad round 2002 and never looked back

6. baby_ute

baby_ute Member

ya gaming mouse pad on my mamba is feel it was meant to be, i went to a internet cafe and use they mouse and crappy pad that doesnt feel smooth at all, u might not get more kill in a sense(CSS Gun Game player thats why) but the kills def come by easier.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  7. Seith

Seith R.I.P.

I think I spent about $30 on a gaming mousepad 5-6 years ago and I am still using it today.

8. HairyMerkin

HairyMerkin Member

I use an A4 piece of paper.

9. samo

samo Member

yes and no. I only bought a "gaming" mousepad cos I wanted a large surface area and although my desk was doing an ok job I knew I could get a smoother feel with a mouse pad.

$20-30 would be my upper limit.

10. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

I got one a few months ago.

A Roccat Sota.

It surprised me how good it was. :D

11. Jon187

Jon187 Member

Using the plastic base out of the green bags from coles etc.

Works great. Used a little spray glue to gold it to the desk.

J

12. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

I ended up splurging and getting a $17 Razer Goliathus mat from MSY when I realised I was finally starting to wear down the surface of my nice desk.....took a couple of years though.

Do appreciate it now that I have it however, is nice, and I've gotten used to how big it is compared to standard sized pads (I think I got the medium one, there was still one larger)

edit: this one is a fabric one, I was really after a hard style mat but now I'm thinking I prefer this one ;). Surface is very textured and yeh, all sweet. (think I got the Control version)

13. koma_white

koma_white Member

I used to use RatzPad but since moving over to the Razer Mantis Control or similar textured large fabric pads i could never go back.

I think it has a lot to do with how you mouse as to the surface that suits you.
    If your a hand on top mouser then the reduced friction of a textured surface and teflon mouse feet would make a significant difference to the drag, whilst a pinch mouser like myself who tends to grab the mouse from the sides and lift ever so slightly doesn't put any vertical load on the mouse to increase the drag so a 'gaming' textured fabric mat is sufficient.

I originally moved away from the RatzPad due to the noise of the surface. It was fine whilst i was gaming with headphones on, but whilst trying to work and listening to the grinding/scratching noise irritated me. Textured fabric ftw.

14. OP
    OP
    jassinlive

jassinlive Member

wht about overall performance between a gaming mat and a normal one? i used to have a plastic mat that actually stuck to the table and it said it was designed for optical laser..

15. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

this interesting idea. Can I use the woolworths one isntead? do they perform better,

I use my desk with nothing. works great

16. Detritus

Detritus Member

yeah, I think the one I used to use was from woolies and to be honest, performance wise, I can hardly see any difference between it and the razer goliath I use now.

if your cheap the green bag bases are an awesome alternative to a desk surface. But I still prefer the razer for the size/comfort, was definitely worth the 20 odd bucks I spent on it imo.

17. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

Overall performance change is negligible as far as I'm concerned.

I love my G7 (have a replacement M950 on the way) and it has no trouble on most surfaces, the only reason I got the pad, as I mentioned before, was because I was wearing the surface of my desk.

Unless you're having major trouble with the surface you're using now.......why change? As long as there's a consistent surface texture and your laser/etc doesn't have any tracking problems yeh...

MAYBE it's a little more accurate for tiny movements (having a high DPI setting) but really it's no different to the desk.

- I don't wear my desk
    - Big surface IF I need the space, won't slip off the edge of the mat
    - Comfortable (like the texture) and dust wipes off easily enough.

18. richard0296

richard0296 Member

i agree, i've got some stereotypical razer mousepad at home with a shit load of colorful fluro writing on it, cost around $35 as well, yet it doesn't do anything that my $2 mousepad at work from corporate express will do.. :thumbup:

edit; actually i think that's the mousepad i have too...

19. Brick

Brick Member

I've got a Roccat Taito (fabric) and a Razer Sphex.

I really love the sphex, there is no way known a desk will give you that much glide. It didn't really change much but the smoothness of movement was well worth the price.

The taito I bought just to try a cloth pad, not worth the money but it hangs round for LANs.

20. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

I can't stand cloth mats, some friends have them and my nails get caught in them :Paranoid: