are hisense TV's any good?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Will S, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Will S

Will S Member

The last 2 Samsungs have not been good, one failed but under warranty it was fixed but then the connections just failed. Replaced with a 65" Samsung and am now getting bad jagged streaks ( purple when white screen )down one side. Not just one pixel but hundreds of the little bastards are bleeding.

So Samsung...no more and I see JB hi-fi have 15% of Hisense. 55 or 65 doesnt matter that much and looking at these 2. May wait until after Xmas if I can put up with the bleeding on one side......well one can put up with it but what started as a 3 inch with a few lines has now gone to 14" but when you have a dark scene its hardly noticeable. I see the Hisense has 3 year warranty

Hisense 65RG Series G 65" 4K UHD Smart LED TV $1185
    Hisense 55R7 Series 7 55" 4K UHD Smart ULED TV $930

What do people think?

2. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I've had a 55 Hisense for about 12 months and have no complaints. I'm not someone who looks for perfection in everything, I couldn't tell you if it's darker or lighter than another brand and I don't care if the someone else has something better, to me it's just a tv. The TV spends about 8 hours a day turned on, we use both the USB and the HDMI inputs and the only annoying thing about it (and I'm not sure if it's in all Hisense models) is that if you turn it on and try to change channels or adjust volume etc before the OSD goes off the remote stops working. It only takes powering off at the power point to fix the issue and doesn't take much to remember to do but with kids they don't always remember.

3. danyell

danyell Member

Happy with my Hisense 65 p5

When you are in the menuing system or when the TV first turns on there's quite a lot of backlight bleed. But in movies and TV shows you really don't notice

I got mine for $965 (staff, bro in law) when they were retailing at 1250 odd

The Netflix and Stan built-in support is great. Not having Google cast is annoying but not really because everything is through a fire TV if it's not through the built-in Netflix and Stan.
    Casting kind of sucks in general anyway.

Long warranty. Still have a 10yo Hisense 40" going without issue. Also have a Samsung where only one HDMI port (side one) still works, a 37"

I think Samsung build with a view to planned failure. Poor caps and whatnot.

If you go with a high-end Hisense, look for a 20% eBay deal. They come along all the time and stand to save you a decent amount of money.

Is the Samsung aren't working for you why give them your dollars again?

Even if your Samsung is out of warranty though, I wouldn't hesitate to contact them and tell them that you expect a TV to last much longer than that under a standard expectation of the longevity of an item without moving parts, it should last much longer. Consumer affairs retail customer rights etc

likely to get some traction, potentially a new TV

4. clonex

clonex Member

we've got/had a 42" 4k as a second tv which the m.i.l uses now that replaced her ~22" tv, the other few ive come across needed some tweaking of colors as well

5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

I agree with the comment about calling Samsung customer service. My tv was 2 years out of warranty and they came out and replaced a dodgy panel free of charge.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  6. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Well they should... in fact I read of them giving warranty for 10 yo tvs

7. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

May contact Samsung but to be honest I have no receipt and cant remember were I brought the bloody thing..............I did a cleanout and chucked a lot of stuff out

8. Hive

Hive Member

Agree.

75P7 owner here. Bloody fantastic TV for the price. My only gripe is you need to play around with the motion smoothing as it can cause ghosting it some situations. Properly setup this isn't noticeable.

9. clonex

clonex Member

if you roughly got an idea on price just search on netbank and filter by searches over x amount

10. asho444

asho444 Member

I've had a 65" hisense for about 5 years!! Only issue I have with it is the shitty software which the replaced in the model after mine.

Otherwise they are rock solid and also look quite nice!

11. ashcollector

ashcollector Member

Iv had mine for 5 years, it was a $900 special 4k screen.

Mines on most of the day.

The smart tv functions are rubbish, not that I would use them on high-end tv's.

12. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

I see HN has them if you pay $1 more you go up to the next size

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

$900 for a 4K tv five years ago? Must have been a 50" or thereabouts?

14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Perfectly happy with my hisense for the price, the HDR works really well and no complaints about it's upscaling engine either. Viewing angles are a tad harsh, can see some washing out in the bottom corner opposite where I'm sitting if I move to either side of my 3 seater couch. Completely forgivable for the price point, featureset and image seem comparable to the japanese brands to my eye but at a cheaper price point.

15. ashcollector

ashcollector Member

Yeah 55 iirc.

16. Spootage

Spootage Member

I HATE my Hisense TV. The software is extremely slow. I sometimes need to press the volume buttons several times before it registers. The remote also has no input selector, so I was going through the menu every time I wanted to change to HDMI (which was daily). Fixed all my issues with an external STB and now everything is sweet.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  17. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Weird that your remote doesn't have an input button?

I've had a few Hisense, but quality has always been good. I've never owned a 'brand name' from new.

I currently have a Hisense Smart TV in my spare room, and a normal in my bedroom. Both work perfectly (smart TV is a little clunky but nothing game breaking)

18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I love that my shield has CEC control for input switching... turn shield on, tv turns on and switches to the appropriate hdmi input.

smart tv's without android tv are shit, get one that has the panel features you want and then attach a decent media player.

19. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I'm very happy with my Hisense 55PX OLED. Had it since mid year with no dramas. It's pretty much a dumb TV to me though, I use a Vodafone TV for my streaming apps. No firmware updates have come to it at all and I wouldn't be surprised if none did. I'm not sure if Dolby Vision can be added through software updates? Hisense released an updated model to EU with Dolby Vision. No discrete remote codes for each input makes automating with Harmony a pain, but it's workable. FTA looks fine on it to me. I've turned off any motion smoothing.

20. Kung_F00L

Kung_F00L Member

Very happy with my 55" Hisense. Purchased about 3 years ago so not sure on model. Paid under $900 for it new.
    As others here have mentioned, It could do with a better processor as the smart TV apps menus seem a little clunky at times.
    But as a TV it functions perfectly fine.

Great picture. Fantastic black level and contrast. No obvious light bleed (maybe i got lucky with this).
    Speakers are shit, but you kinda expect that for a TV. Plugged in a soundbar to get around that shortcoming.