1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

are hisense TV's any good?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Will S, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Radley

Radley Member

Short answer: no. Long answer: nooooooo.

Cheapo stuff -you get what you pay for. I have a 32" for the kitchen and then menus are ridiculously slow

Spootage likes this.
  2. adr_an

adr_an Member

I've got a 42" Panasonic Plasma Full HD tv that's around 12 years old and a 70" Sony kdl-70r550a that's around 8 years old. They've both been going strong. No issues at all.
    ALL of my relative's Samsung, LG and Hisense TVs have had issues. Usually crappy issues like capacitor or panel bond issues.

3. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

well actually completely screwed up........went to buy a replacement washing machine and whilst I was there looked at TV's and the TV that was set up the best was a 65" LG ( the Hisense models looked washed out in comparisson ) so I purchased that but when I got home I noticed that they were nearly $300 cheaper at HN ( they has a 25% discount special ) so cancelled the order ( bit of a shit fight as they want me to go into store to cancel the order but it wasnt delivered so have to go in to get my refund for my credit card )

the funny thing is they dont look so big in store but in my flat they are huge............should have went 50"

4. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Great to hear you got something you like. We recently played the same game, aiming for a cheap(er) panel, especially since I don’t need any menu, smarts or speakers. Just a dumb panel since we have an receiver for audio and switching inputs as well as an Apple TV that does everything in a Wife Approved Manner™. Looking around at the different models and even the Wife was saying “that one looks better” which led to another Samsung (QLED this time).

Where are the decent dumb panels?? I suppose that’s just not where the market is at? Personally I only even really need one HDMI port…

I’ve had Samsung’s for a long time now, the old 46” is still kicking (with one green line down the side when it’s cold, although it goes away) in the games room, now about 9 years old or so.
    The next one was a 60” Samsung 1080 that only lasted seven years before the PSU let out the magic smoke (a few months ago), I would have liked a little longer out of it… was actually hoping the 46” would die so I could move the 60” to the games room and get a 4K unit for the lounge, but it wasn’t to be. I did get a repair quote but at nearly $600 I didn’t really think it was worth it to replace the working 46” (especially when there are plenty of 4K units in that price range, although maybe not as nice a panel, albeit at 60”).

firey4059 and Spootage like this.
  5. boneburner

boneburner Member

Hisense - a state owned Chinese company that started making radios in the 1960's - with their first tv in 1978.

Known issues: (as noted above) lag on the operating system via the remote. This remains a problem even on the new H series, which hasn't been released here yet. Australia feels like a dumping ground for last years models/tech.

Pros: among the MANY models are a few diamonds on the price/size/performance chart. Reviews are your best bet - never blind buy.

6. connico

connico Member

Agree with this, some of the Hisense TV are rebadged models from other manufactures, some TVs are made in mexico in the former sharp factory, some of the TVs are just shit built in China... So you need to look at reviews to sort out the crap and find those diamonds

firey4059 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

Well I think its like the "silicone lottery"...if you get a good one you get a good one

Samsung is about the best from what I have read but after 3 failures ( Bluray and 2 TV's ) am giving them the bird

Finding legit reviews is hard as you just dont know who to trust.......there is a guy on Hardware Unboxed that does wonderful things with monitor reviews even if most of what he says is above my brain capacity, pity he doesnt do TV's

Anyway after a few days I am getting used to the LG 65SM8100PTA SM81 Series 65" 4K UHD LED TV....$1595 "on sale" JB Hi fi but $1288 plus 10% in Gift cards from HN

Went in to get my refund processed and saw a 55" TV I liked but it looked small, actually they all look small in the store

8. connico

connico Member

55" looks small after you buy a 65" :p

85" makes everything look small :p

98".... you don't even want to know

firey4059 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

lol

actually think 65"is to big for me, I thought my Samsung was a 65" and that was big but its a 140CM (55") . When I purchased it was in CM's iirc and now they are advertised in inches just to confuse the fuck out of us.

Do younger people have any idea on how big 6"is ? :Paranoid:

But the 55"still looks bigger then the 55"in the store

btw: when did we switch to metric ? 50 years ago or longer ?

10. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

Average penis size, so probably :weirdo:

Spootage and clonex like this.
  11. miicah

miicah Member

I never use the menus, because I have a proper sound system and smart-box thingy/foxtel boxes.

So there's that. It boots up super quick as well, probably a little faster than our old Toshiba.

12. Spootage

Spootage Member

Just a Subway half footer.

13. Hive

Hive Member

my 75P7 updated last week and now each time i start it, it's a cold start, so it takes one minute to power on. That's absolute shit! Anyone experience the same?

14. steffan72

steffan72 Member

Tell me 65" looks small after you have been watching it for 2 weeks. I use a 120 inch projector and have done for about 4 years . . . . i have a 75 inch tv in the front room and every time i go in there its like . . . meh . . . . its tiny

15. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I spotted this on Whirlpool in the Hisense OLED thread...

After the firmware update it looks like the fastboot was turned off. The method of turning it back on is the same as the 'P' series tvs, ive done it to my 'PX' without any issues. Below is copied from the 'P' series thread.

1. Press the COG WHEEL on remote
    2. Press OK on SETTINGS
    3. Press OK on SOUND
    4. Press OK on SPEAKERS
    5. Highlight BALANCE ensuring it’s set to 0
    6. Key in the numbers 1-9-6-9
    7. The letter M will appear in green on the top left corner,you should also notice the standby light constantly blinking while doing this.
    8. Press the COG wheel button again
    9.Click right on directional pad so Design is highlighted on the two tabs
    10. Scroll down to FASTBOOT and turn it OFF
    11. Turn the TV OFF and ON to clear the M"

PoyZ, Hive and firey4059 like this.
  16. Hive

Hive Member

Legend. That worked perfectly, thanks.

17. niczoom

niczoom New Member

Thanks for this info. I was getting annoyed with the slow boot after my 75P7 updated its firmware a few eeks ago. I totally forgot about Fastboot, did a bit of googling and this thread popped up.

18. Hive

Hive Member

I can't believe hisense wouldn't release another update to fix it. This is going to leave so many tech illiterate scrubs with a sour taste in their mouths over hisense being slow..

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

And they will suffer because of it.

If it were LG the update would have been at least acknowledged and an update probably pretty quickly.

20. Luke212

Luke212 Member

Why people shitbagging hisense? They review very well!