Are new Optus phones locked?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by tangcla, Oct 17, 2004.

1. tangcla

tangcla Member

I didn't think that they were locked.

However, I sold a 6100 on eBay and they claim it works on Optus but not on Vodafone...

so can anyone clarify whether the new phones that are on contract from Optus are locked?

2. !JonZap!

!JonZap! Member

you sold or you bought becuase if you sold it you would know if it were locked.

I think this is what you were trying to say:

I didn't think that they were locked.

However, I purchased a 6100 on eBay and they claim it works on Optus but not on Vodafone...

so can anyone clarify whether the new phones that are on contract from Optus are locked?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  3. OP
    OP
    tangcla

tangcla Member

no, I sold one on eBay and they told me it was locked, which I thought was unusual. I didn't check to see if it was locked or notbecause 6100s didnt' come out on prepaid and hence there should be no reason why it is locked.

4. pavlos

pavlos Member

i find it very unlikely that its locked to optus

5. toe_sa

toe_sa Member

I work for Optus

GSM handsets that are purchased on post-paid contracts do *not* come NSCK locked to the optus network.

However, Pre Paid (PPS) phones do. The only way it could be locked, would be if it was originally purchased as a pps phone.

6. OP
    OP
    tangcla

tangcla Member

That's exactly what I thought :) This is what I got from him:

7. Matt P

Matt P Member

dude

youre the phone fixing KING and youre asking us this?

send them the free unlocking site

8. sandshoe

sandshoe Member

Whats the error message when the Voda sim is inserted ?

It would definately not be locked as the 6100 was never sold on prepaid.

It is also possible they are using an older 5v Voda sim which will probably not work.

9. OP
    OP
    tangcla

tangcla Member

Not sure what the error is, but Matt, that's why I'm asking. Because it was never on prepaid and AFAIK it's not locked, hence the reason why I want to find out why the phone wasn't working.

10. Digitone

Digitone Member

the nokia 6100 won't be network lock, it could be the possibility of an old voda sim as it will not work in the nokia 6100 (it will come up straight away as incorrect sim. He may have called voda fone and the guys on support there can be absolutley useless and will alway try and put the blame on someone else.

11. OP
    OP
    tangcla

tangcla Member

yeah, update:

I just called him, he says it said something about contacting your dealer or something, which sounds to me like a bit of a stretch of the truth. Anyway, he told me he sent it down to me already - so all I need is a Vodafone SIM card to test it, and if it's ok, then I can either refund it (and relist, doesn't bother me :p) or send it back to him to tell him to get a new SIM card.

Anyone got a spare Vodafone SIM (ie. old empty prepaid) that they can lob my way to test? ;)

12. OP
    OP
    tangcla

tangcla Member

PS. Anybody here work for Vodafone? Is there any cost involved for him to get a replacement SIM card? and if no charge, can somebody please contact him about it? :) make me look good, and for Vodafone's reputation as well :D

13. !JonZap!

!JonZap! Member

if he has a post paid account he can say that he lost his sim and tell voda to give him a new sim or he'll cancel his account with them. ive done this to 2 voda account becuase the sims didnt work with new phones. Normal charge is $30

14. sandshoe

sandshoe Member

It sounds like its coming up "Contact Service" but then, it wouldnt matter what sim you put in,as the firmware is screwy when that comes up.

Maybe his just making something up coz he doesnt like the phone anymore ?

15. OP
    OP
    tangcla

tangcla Member

Well he said that it worked with his son's Optus SIM, so it confirms my suspicion about the old SIM card.

But hey, if he doesn't want it, doesn't bother me. I'll just relist it anyway.