1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Are there actually any ok priced family photography gifts thats worth it?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by squaredonut, Dec 24, 2019.

1. squaredonut

squaredonut Member

So I had originally planned to spend about 250-300 on a gift voucher for my sister so they can snap a few photos of her and her partner and her baby.

But after a lot of googling etc, every place seems like they want you to buy a car... Now I totally understand it's a profession.

But.... everywhere I've asked it's like $300 gets you 1 small-medium print and the digital file of it, that's it. Then it sky rockets if you want more digital prints. Wasn't expecting 100's of prints, but I thought maybe 10-15 digital copies of your choice would be reasonable.

Is there any reptuable ones out in Victoria way where they wouldn't want my liver so they can do these shoots for around my budget? Or should I maybe look at a different gift?

Thanks!

2. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

The prices are high, but then people will say that's because the cameras, lenses, backdrops, flashes, laptops, post processing time and so on warrants the cost..

3. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

The cost of small business in Australia is very high :)

I would potentially just keep looking around and what different photographers offer. That price is quite low, but the idea is you buy more files/prints from the shoot to get the spend up so the cheap step in ends up paying off for the photographer.

I personally don't like that old hat family session style/offering and treat them like a portrait/engagement shoot. I am not based in VIC but ill put down an example of what I offer for families.

It's $500 (inc GST) for a 1 hour family session at one location. Included are high res/web res edited images of the selection I choose from the shoot. Delivered in an online gallery (and if it's a gift voucher I usually include a 8x12 print of their favourite photo from the shoot). Travel to a location within my town (Sydney) is also included. They can order additional prints/albums as they wish in addition to this, they can also extend the shoot time with an hourly rate, or add a location for extra $$$

Your best bet is probably getting them the session/small inclusives as the gift and then she/her partner can add on whatever else they want to buy. Or get additional family members to chip in to expand the gift.

4. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

At the end of the day, professional photographers need to charge for their time, and rightly so.
    I think the biggest issue is that in general people believe that the 'hourly rate' is crazy high, because they only consider the customer facing time... and maybe travel time.
    Unlike other hourly charge services (like mechanic, plumber, etc), a lot of the time spent on a shoot happens behind the scenes after the shots are taken. For an average shoot (1-1.5 hours) I would generally set aside 3x this length of time to process the shots afterwards.
    So while a customer may only see me for 1.5 hours (and this is excluding an initial meeting etc) I might spend 1.5hr on the shoot, 1.5hr on travel, 3hr processing - for a total of 6 hours. I would typically like to get $60-$70 per hour for my time, which is probably on the low side for a professional of any vocation. So i don't think that $400ish for a shoot is really that unreasonable, especially when I'm covering the cost of my training/advertising/insurance/fuel/maintenance of gear in that price...

5. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Sound advice given here :)

The other thing to consider is also whether you like the style of that photographer. If you search through the various facebook photography groups, I guarantee you there will be one that will do it for the price you are looking for, as well as much much lower. It's all well and good paying a few hundy for a "good" photographer, but what if it turns out you don't actually like their style? Make sure you flip through a fair bit of their work to ensure it is in line with what you're expecting.

6. havabeer

havabeer Member

normally plenty of people on facebook and gumtree that will do a fairly basic shoot fairly cheap.

even the santa photo people will only charge $50 - $70 a photo. easier to just jump on one of those sessions.

7. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Hard to know who's good and who's terrible on gumtree etc. I'd personally find someone on these forums and check out their pictures. More likely to be honest about their skills.