Are there any decent small smart phones?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by antipody, Aug 16, 2015.

1. antipody

antipody Member

I'm considering getting my first smart phone.

I'm still not sure, mostly as I cbf charging something daily and they all seem too big to fit comfortably in my pocket. I've just had a lot of ppls send me multimedia msgs lately that my little normal phone can't handle.

I'm also cheap, currently paying about $30 every few months on the voda 365 day plan.

Walking past the Virgin store today I saw I cna get a Samsung s5 for $40/mo, which seems reasonable, although I haven't sussed out the data deals.

I think it's prolly gonna be too big. Can anyone recommend something that's smaller and not too expensive?

2. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

If all you want is the basics then you can't really go past the Lumia 435/530 series. They are best bang for budget buck, but that's my opinion.

A galaxy S5 was last years flagship phone and you'll end up paying quite a lot for it.

3. HSV

HSV Member

I'd suggest the Nokia/Microsoft 530, 630, 635, or 532, great little phones, brilliant battery life, work sensibly.

You could pick up a cheap Telstra one and run it on a $20 p/mth Boost prepaid plan, or a Telstra longlife prepaid plan, don't think Vodafone do them any more. Optus have similar plans, don't know what they are though as reception is terrible up here.

4. Hater

Hater Member

iPhone 5C or 5S is probably the pick of the bunch at the moment, which kind of sucks. I hope the 4" 6 is a reality.

5. miicah

miicah Member

6. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

If all you want is a phone that can do the basics of smartphoniness, so email, instant messaging, web browsing, etc, and don't feel you want a jam packed app store of shit you'll never use, then consider something from Microsoft/Nokia. There are some great and cheap Lumia's and they come in a range of sizes and the cheapos are generally still well performing and pretty decently buit. You just won't get top of the range specs or the Apple/Google levels of Apps available, which I suspect you won't care about.

The Lumia 532 for example is dirt cheap, looks pretty, and is 4" screen which by todays standards is pretty tiny and very one handable. I've not looked at reviews for this specific device though, but Windows mobile is generally very well performing on low spec hardware. Android is not, and apple will still charge your left nut for a 5c which is quite old hardware now.

Personally I think 4.7" to 5.1" is a 'small phone' these days, as I find anything up to a well designed 5.1" is still very one handable (for my non-huge hands). I never had trouble with any phone in that range 'fitting in my pocket'. I'm rocking a 6"er now and probably wouldn't go back to anything below 5.7", however in this size you certainly do run into certain pants where it doesn't sit well or you won't trust that it won't fall out, and you certainly won't be one handing it. They're for people who two thumb their texts.

7. Hater

Hater Member

I have a 4.7" phone and I hate it. It's way too big. To think that this is a "small" phone is laughable.

8. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Yup, it's a deal breaker for me. Just hate carrying big things around, along with having to charge the thing every day.

Hrmm...I wonder if there are any dumb phones that can handle multimedia messages. The only other reason I'd consider a smart phone is to use uber, but tbh that doesn't justif

I want my Sony Ericsson R306 flip (with AM radio), or samsung SGH-E900 slider. Bring back 2008....

9. Hater

Hater Member

All of my old Nokia's sent MMS's all of the time. Used to send like a million a day when Vodafone first released MMS's and had free MMS's for a month. Everything from my 7250i to (more recently) 6300 and everything in between...

For you, i'd seriously look at a Nokia Lumia 520/530/532.

They can be had for as low as $19, a one off payment, they're smallish with a 4" screen and with light usage won't need to be charged any more than every few days.

The Uber app is available on Windows Phone.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  10. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

I had this same problem, I ended up getting a motorola razr m on clearance. Nice size, 4.3" screen but hardly any bezel, so only 122x61x8 mm.
    Battery lasts well too, I charge it each night, but it is at 80+% battery each time, so it lasts well for several days without a charge.

You might be able to pick one up still,

11. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Partner had one, it was pretty horrible. Replaced it with a 2nd gen Moto G, much nicer, but comes back to the size issue again.

12. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

$19? That price looks good, where?

Size is still chunky, but I guess for $19 it doesn't matter if it comes flying out of my pocket when I'm skating around... :lol:

13. Hater

Hater Member

Ozbargain had a deal on 520's at that price and they come up from time to time. What carrier are you with? The ones locked to Optus or Telstra are ~$30 all day every day at Woolies/Coles etc

Unlocked ones on a non-deal price are ~$59, JB Hifi. That will be a 530 though which is a bit faster than a 520 and has a slightly better battery life (I think)

14. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Thanks for the tip. Just read a review on it and it looks like a pretty decent phone in terms of functionality. Will have to go have a sticky at the size in store. CHeers :thumbup:

Currently with Vodafone prepaid, but not wedded to them, if I can get a better deal elsewhere.

WOndering if it does windows 10. Been also reading up on Cortana and that sounds pretty cool. Maybe I should be looking at a Lumia 435?

15. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Just on the 530, it looks like if I were going that route, it'd be smarter to get the 532. Twice the RAM in the same size phone.

16. sanjay

sanjay Member

good thing you're more eagle-eyed than the mod who gratuitously deleted my post. :rolleyes:

the 532 is certainly better than the 530 but its also ~twice the price :p (although still not breaking the bank in the scheme of things)

17. Hater

Hater Member

They have Win10 running on the 520 yep but they say it's heaps better on phones with 1GB of RAM (535) because the 512MB phones get Win10 but not all Win10 features, 1GB phones get all of the features. Not sure if Cortana is left out on 512MB phones as I only have a 2GB phone.

18. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Yep 535 definitely has better specs, but the 532 seems to be the sweet spot for me, being an inch smaller. Pity I just missed the woolies Tesltra $49 deal (by 1 day lol!). Wonder if anything similar will come up soon...

I still think it's goign to be too big :lol:

19. Hater

Hater Member

Whoops that was a typo. I meant 532 not 535. 535 is way too big.

20. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

I wonder how something like an iphone4 (64G) would compare with a Lumia 532?

Reason I asked is that I've been offered one for free if I go through a particular provider...