Are there literally any decent linux file managers?

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by metamorphosis, Apr 23, 2018.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

I don't consider a device for consuming cat videos and the inane chatter of millenials and flat earthers to be a desktop operating system.

2. BAK

BAK Member

Your consideration is not required for facts to exist.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It doesn't really matter what old farts like you and I want. How many of us who do professional IT now have to deal with these devices in business?

Give it another decade or so, and the humble desktop PC might be a very rare thing in the workplace. It's already the exception at home, with more and more families going for tablets and phones in lieu of the traditional desktop.

I know what *I* need from a real operating system, but it's very clear I don't represent the mass opinion.

4. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

This is so true. Adobe Photoshop is literally the worst bit of software you could install on OSX. It has memory leaks and crashes more often than any version of Windows ever has. It still baffles me that designers believe they NEED to use a Mac to do design work when the core product they use doesn't even run well on the OS to begin with.

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

Hmm, I was pretty sure I was the centre of the (flat) universe.

flu!d likes this.
  6. elvis

Designers "needing" a Mac is very much the theme of this thread - people confusing familiarity with intuition.

Adobe's relationship with Apple is going backwards, and Adobe has said as much. They're now not getting pre-release software any more, which means their access to betas is the same as the rest of the world. And while I think Adobe still do a shitty job even with that timeline, I have some sympathy in that they now have 6-12 months of dev time less per OS release than they used to. Combine that with Apple's insane ability to release a "change log" that is literally "we now have more diverse emojis" and completely avoids anything actually technical, and the platform is utterly terrible to use professionally.

Our company uses a lot of Adobe products, and have for eons been on Mac for that, due mostly to Mac being "more like Linux" which helps us in the way we do things like manage systems, set up authentication, and deploy applications. But 10.13 was the final straw, and we're jumping ship. "AdobeOS" will soon be Windows for us, simply because it's less shit than macOS for that task. (Still extremely shit. Just less so than the competition).

7. theyesmen

theyesmen Member

Well sorry my choice of grammar disappointed you. With all due respect, I'm here to engage in conversation about technology. Not have a discussion on descriptive grammar.

I disagree by the way. Innovation should always be chased. Simple.

If we're going to go down the path of pointing out daft and meaningless comments, I think you just won that award.

8. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Going back to your original comment on GUI file managers under Linux, there's nothing wrong with them that necessarily needs innovating. Myself and Cvidler posted screenshots highlighting that Linux file managers do everything the third party Windows 'advanced' file manager does, it craps all over Windows Explorer.

The only file manager that needs 'innovating' is Finder, Finder alongside High Sierra is complete garbage. I absolutely regret the day I supposedly upgraded from El Capitan, High Sierra is buggy as all hell.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Seems having the right file manager is the most important aspect of computing for you, I would suggest test all the file managers in all the OS's then choose your OS based on aesthetics and file manager, much the same way you evaluate all software, find what suits your needs.

10. elvis

Boy, you missed the point.

Let's keep it simple then: what "innovations" would you like to see in Linux (or any) file managers that you feel are currently missing?

And I want real innovation. Not just copies of features from existing software.

flu!d likes this.
  11. theyesmen

theyesmen Member

I think it's worth noting that I am not the one looking for a new graphical file manager. This was made clear on my first post in the thread.

12. flu!d

I think it's worth mentioning that the Microsoft way of innovation for the sake of change isn't always for the better. Quite often a tried and proven method is one worth sticking to.

Having said that, Linux has made considerable advances as time has gone on just like any other operating system. The problem with many Windows users is they can't stop regurgitating the way the Linux desktop was 20 years ago due to a distinct lack of experience with the operating system for anything that can even be considered a reasonable period of time, resulting is masses of misinformation and the comment 'year of the Linux desktop'.

There is no prerequisite for any OS to behave identically to Windows, the Microsoft way is by no means always ideal. People need to familiarize and adapt before laying judgement.

13. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Innovation is BPF integration in iptables, not GUI file managers.

14. elvis

Not what I asked. You said:
    So I'm asking: What innovation in Linux file managers do you want to see?

15. Statitica

Statitica Member

To be honest, I have it the other way around now. I go to Windows, and start asking "what's the command to do xyz?"

Re: using Mac - from a software point of view, it's probably not a case I would make, but the retina displays do give them an edge. The flipside is just spending more money on a decent display.

16. shredder

shredder Member

Given that the word innovation is based around the concept of "new" (latin novus), I'm not sure that innovation is, by nature, readily predictable or able to be described in advance.

The innovation only occurs by way of a new abstract of intellect, thereby opening up something not previously available, or even (in some cases) known about.

--

edit, my rambling point being that innovation is something that's striven toward, and then often not recognised until hindsight proves success. Therefore it's impossible to answer the question "what innovation would you like to see?" - unless in answering, you invent the innovations yourself. Which anyone would agree is a tall ask!

17. elvis

Correct.

So back when I commented on the phrase "there's no innovation in this space" and described it as nonsense, I got shot down with "irrelevant!". So instead, I've asked the person who made that statement to expand on it.

My money is on them not being able to, which illustrates nicely how BS the original statement was (and how correct your statement above is).

Sometimes disagreeing with people builds barriers in communication (especially those who can't take criticism well). So instead, ask them to explain their thoughts, and they'll see the limits of their original theories once they put more than a moment's effort into it, rather than just casting throw-away statements.

18. flu!d

I don't really know whether 5k really offers much of a benefit over 'consumer grade' 4k when it comes to iMac's, especially the issues still faced in relation to scaling (which I must admit, macOS handles well). I must say, I cry when an iMac fails and that beautiful retina display is rendered useless. I can't believe the next generation Mac Pro is going to be an 'all in one' iMac design - Bring back the cheesegrater Mac Pro, they were actually a really nice machine.

19. theyesmen

theyesmen Member

elvis, you like to make a simple statement extremely complex. It's not difficult to determine my contextual intention through the statement that I made. It really isn't that hard. But you are making it hard.

I haven't responded sooner because I have work to do. I'm not sure what you do, but you seem to have lots of time to sit around complaining and creating unnecessary complexities. I'd suggest you avoid that in future. It can't be good for your health. I work, that is my priority. Not arguing with trolls.

On innovation, it seems we have more than one person confused on the meaning of 'innovation'. Might I suggest a visit to the dictionary! https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/innovation

I have not elaborated on innovation of the graphical file manager further, simply because I have no immediate requirement to install one. Therefore, I am not going to waste my time and brain power on irrelevance.

20. elvis

So in summary, you made a completely empty statement, and when asked to provide a single concrete example to clarify, refused, twice.

And now your reason for not clarifying the empty statement extends to "I don't use it, so I don't have to clarify my criticism". A flippant link to a dictionary definition doesn't provide a contextual argument as to what innovation you feel is lacking in file managers, or why it even matters if it is. Your deeper opinion is what I'm after. (You offered the terse version already, and now two posts telling me you don't want to write more posts).

Clearly you don't want to explain yourself, and that's fine. I was actually genuinely interested in your reasoning (and don't mind waiting, but you refused twice, and that's not "please wait"). I'm at a loss why anyone would make such a statement, and then not even offer a single example to explain themselves.

juggernaut88 likes this.