1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you for or against Nuclear Energy in any shape or form?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Danske, Nov 1, 2011.

?

Are you for or against Nuclear Energy?

1. For

381 vote(s)
    90.3%
  2. Against

41 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. Tinian

Tinian Member

I'm not excusing it, but while you're still digging down, you're unlikely to be rehabilitating the sides are you?

Also the difficulty with White Bay as I'm sure you're aware is it's heritage listed. Otherwise it would've been developed a long time ago.

2. Hive

Hive Member

Let's not forget that burning coal creates highly toxic fly ash... that just gets filled into the land, polluting groundwater, etc. A few years back a pond containing fly ash leaked in the states and attributed to 40 odd early deaths during the cleanup due to cancer and billions of dollars worth of remediation work. Fly ash is also radioactive, contains loads of heavy metals and carcinogens. thousands die from early deaths annually because of the crap that spews out of these plants and the environmental damage, but let's go on about how bad nuclear is...

Exactly. In fact renewable energy sites would have to be the worst with the way they misrepresent facts and either under or over estimate figures to persuade idiots into believing it's the be all and end all solution to meet our energy needs. We need a sensibe and pragmatic approach to energy security rather than letting scotty from marketing politicize yet another thing.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 10:36 AM
  3. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

From the article -
    So by their own admission the data is unreliable. From having worked for over 15 years in the Bowen Basin I've seen lots of rehabilitation on active sites. I'll readily admit the rehab rates should be improved, but it is wrong to suggest that none is happening.

From a quick look on Google maps at the older operations in the basin (Oakey Creek, Eaglefield, Peak Downs) it's pretty clear there is at least some rehab underway. From the photo you posted it looks like the line of advance is on the left - I would expect rehabilitated areas to be the right of the photo that are out of the frame. The photo only shows the active mining areas.

Something people seem to not realise is that renewable energy is big business now, so has the same lobbyists and exposure to corruption as every other major industry. I'm a strong believer in the transition to renewables, but I get routinely pissed off by the outright lies that the sector puts out there.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 12:34 PM
  4. Phido

Phido Member

Not unreliable. Mines that have gone broke are unlikely to have any rehabilitation particularly older mines (>15 years) where it wasn't setup to be rehabilitated even if the mine went under (ie money given to council that then spends it on other things, or just no money put aside). Ongoing rehabilitation isn't the same as fully completed and handed over completed cycle.

But yes, it isn't the whole picture, certainly the mine sites currently undergoing rehabilitation should be monitored and would be very valuable data. Rehabilitation is a lengthy process, so you would expect it to take a long time.

But again, in a thread about nuclear power, the environmental concerns regarding nuclear power are able to be overcome, just like in mining. Of course with nuclear power, you aren't contributing to climate change. No matter how well you rehabilitate a coal mine site, its still causing climate change.

I'm just pointing out that nuclear power can be very beneficial. Older power stations, that have attached open cut mines that have operated for 50+ years are unlikely to have a great rehabiliation outlook. Building a nuclear power station, even if profit neutral for the government can provide a way to enable rehabilitation and employment in regional areas going forward.