Are you gonna be buying dual-core?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by stmok, Apr 23, 2005.

?

Are you buying dual-core?

1. Yes! But an Intel-based solution.

28 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. Yes! But I'm going for an AMD one.

136 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Maybe upgrade to it in the future. (I'm buying a Socket 939).

98 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. No! I'm sticking to a fast single-core!

24 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Can I have dual-candy instead?

19 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. stmok

stmok Member

Now that Intel and AMD have done the "full monty" on dual-core, what are you planning to do ?

2. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

maybe next year i will upgrade my dual opterons and get a nice expensive board with some Uber expensive dual core cpus..

ive spent a lot of money on computers in the last 12 months.. so im trying to slow down. ill just have to find a less financialy draining way to scratch my itch

3. Phido

Phido Member

My general plan was to get a dual socket board and eventually upgrade to dual cores but now I'm not so sure.

Four core performance kinda sucks for what you pay for it, except in say rendering where you get it all.

So now I choose between a dual core and a dual socket setup..

I think I will go dual socket, the new Asus board is dual socket, NUMA, and cost as much as a decent NF4 939 board. I can then have a long upgrade path to dual cores some way down the track and just pop in a pair of 242 or 244 and O/C them for now..

With AMD saying all future processors will be dual core, its definately going to be the wave of the future. Hopefully software and OS's take better advantage of all this parraellism..

Otherwise concentrate on other aspects of your system, Video, displays, HD, ram etc..

By the time I can afford a dual core 2.4/2.6/2.8Ghz CPU it should be around late 2006 to mid 2007..

4. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Sure, for that price! In the US a 2.8 GHz dual core Pentium D will be sold for around 310$$. Make it 10% more for AUS. And it seems there is plenty of production coming. I say: "Bring it on". :lol:

5. im_soo_sxc

im_soo_sxc Member

From the looks of the prices that the chips are going to be, i will be upgrading to them pretty soon after they begin to distribute. I'm going to get AMD DC :leet:

6. stalin

stalin (Taking a Break)

im gonna hope my 939 shuttle will support it.. and wait till my CPU is too slow and upgrade to AMD DC.

7. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

Seeing as i got a 939 board for the purpose of going to dual core i am going amd. Also from what i have seen in review the A64 X2's are bloody fast chips.

8. APFDF

APFDF Member

Judging by the monster e-penis in the sig, you have spent a very substantial amount of money.

Onward and upward, is there any more info re the new dual-socket ASUS board?

9. Jedi Jezz

Jedi Jezz Member

Yeah I'll certainly consider it, my ideal system would be a SFF with two sockets, hehehe 4 cores :leet:

10. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

2 years ago, when I went to pick up my 2500+, I said "My next upgrade will be dualcore". I'd like to thank intel and AMD for making my statement plausible :)

11. Howiefied

Howiefied Member

i'm undecided whether to wait off for dual cores to come down in price, or just get a single core amd 64bit cpu.... i'd like to see it's performance under folding@home first.

12. A.G.System

A.G.System Member

But myne are you going to go Dual Core (A64x2) or Dual Dual core (Opteron 840).

:p

It will never surpass the glory that was the BP6

13. bphelan

bphelan Member

Well, the AMD MB is $200 for a reasonable one, a dual 2.2 is just a bit more than 1 Opteron 248....go SMP :leet: I can see a nasty Folding Farm Upgrade coming..don't tell the wife :Paranoid:

14. OP
    OP
    stmok

stmok Member

15. Leopard

Leopard Member

I'm in the same boat, and I'm expecting this Suttle box to work with dual core.
    Current CPU is fast enough for now, dual core will remove those hiccups that occur with certain things.

16. Zieprus

Zieprus Member

Well I’m on socket 754 and have a AGP 6800GT.
    But I will be going DC AMD at around years end. Will likely get a next gen either 520 ATI or G70 NV in pci-e.
    So to go to DC I have the graphics card and a new mainboard to contend with.
    I am surprised however so few people have voted for the DC Intel variant despite it being cheap.

Edit: On second thoughts it depends on what is happening in the last quarter of this year. Reason being the M2 socket would be getting close by then so I may think about that. But not sure see what happen in the next 6 months.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  17. yujen

yujen Member

I'll probably get a couple of dual core 2xx Opterons when its available.... although I'll be waiting for dual core Xeons as well.

Personally, I would prefer 2 x single core Opterons at higher clock for my own personal workstation, dual cores go into multi-user servers :)

18. Leopard

Leopard Member

I bought the s939 SFF with full intention of going DC. If I wanted to go Intel DC, I would also need to fork out for a new shuttle/DDR2/PCI-E graphics as well.

With the current box, all I need (supposedly) is the DC CPU & a new BIOS. Much cheaper and better performance too :)

19. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Has anyone ever tried AsynchronousMP with the opterons?

ie, running a 10multi and a 12multi core together in a board?

It'd be interesting to see if it's possible to run a DC and a single together too.
    3 cores.

Reason I ask is, I had a dual celeron and I broke just about every rule there was with my SMP rig. Different steppings, different multipliers (333/433 5x and 6.5x) and overclocked on a mutually acceptable bus (90mhz). Ran fine till the board died one day after about 2 years. Only issues I had were a couple of games that had to be forced to run on 1 cpu because they behaved strangely otherwise.

20. proffesso

proffesso Member

i just bought a dual nocona rig....so end of the year is the likely upgrade time for me. dual core opteron for me...cheap 4-way smp...im there.