1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Argument about data cabling.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by A Gringo, Jul 2, 2021.

1. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Are you implying that is how people should be educated?

frnak likes this.
  2. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

I think the biggest danger for people cabling their own homes is falling through the ceiling and/or electrocution. If people are going to do this I strongly urge people to turn off their main switch whilst in the roof many electricians and other tradesman have been killed.

mjunek likes this.
  3. bucket23

bucket23 Member

S009 is the document that deals with safety and is mandatory to be followed.

4. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

haha ok so reading standards documents is how you think people should learn? Is that what registers data cablers get, a book dumped in front of them? You've gotta be taking the piss, right?

Videos, pictures, online quizzes, I mean you know it's 2021 I think there are more modern approaches to education. Hell it's not even modern, learning material has always been more than just standards documents.

Whatever you do for work, I really hope you're not responsible for training or oversight of other workers.

5. bucket23

bucket23 Member

I was responding to your post about free training. S009 is free if you care to read it. Alternatively you could pay for a course to teach you about S009. There are options out there that are both free and paid services. Choose yourself which one you would prefer to do.

6. mjunek

mjunek Member

I was talking the the context of safety of people working on the network.
    Whilst the electrical safety of the NTD may be compromised by illegal cabling, the safety issue does not extend past that boundary on FTTP or Fixed Wireless; no matter what happens with internal cabling.
    Hence the point I was making with these two statements:

This. And it's perfectly legal to get up in your ceiling cavity to do whatever you like with zero restrictions.

7. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

In that case, everything should be free. No need for mechanics, civil engineers, pilots, astronauts. The industries should just freely release education so that phreeky82 can do it all for free.

Pugs likes this.
  8. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Looks like it has gone flying right over your head too.

If the only argument for there being the law is for safety, as many seem to claim, then free educational material is far more effective than enforcing regularly-outdated and difficult-to-enforce standards.

Here, I'll give you an example of a gov org that actually gives a shit about improving (Cyber) Safety for some kind of comparison: https://www.cyber.gov.au/acsc/view-all-content/publications

Given that it would be a shitload cheaper for the gov to make some educational material available than it would to pay the medical bills of people actually injured from poor data cabling, colour me sceptical that it has anything to do with safety.

9. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

You are comparing personal cybersaftey with the electrical industry. You are one funny funny fella. I'm no longer wasting my precious battery power replying to your posts. I'd rather waste it on YouTube videos of paint drying.

10. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

The "electrical industry"? I'm talking about in peoples homes not in a commercial building. But cool, move along, you're wasting my time too having to reply to such narrow-minded views.

11. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Are you being serious? The electrical industry is pretty damn broad, it includes domestic settings as well as commercial and industrial.

12. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Own homes mate, personal jobs. I don't think ANYBODY in this thread has argued that you shouldn't be registered to do it for money.

13. McRutch

McRutch Member

you should follow the videos advice and work live on switchboards because you need light for your youtube video :lol:.. natural selection right there

14. bucket23

bucket23 Member

What do you think it has to do with then?

15. caspian

caspian Member

I have been doing my own basic electric work for at least 35 years, because despite the FUD spread by the anti brigade, it's quite simple and safe as long as basic principles are followed.

hippyhippy and mjunek like this.
  16. McRutch

McRutch Member

fair enough, the fact you haven't killed yourself, and may or may not have followed all australian regs doesn't really make a strong case saying that everyone should be able to, for every good DIY electrical job theres plenty more shit ones

17. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Joe Average doesn't necessarily have an understanding of the basic principles. This is why we have warning labels on things.

18. caspian

caspian Member

it demonstrates that it's perfectly possible to do your own basic work safely. no different to someone else doing their own brake pad change. I'm far more worried about that, because they might kill me in the process if something goes wrong.

I'm more than happy for them to put a warning label on a plug as long as I'm allowed to ignore it. I bought my lat barbecue on the basis of whom would sell me the NG conversion kit without any bullshit about being a licenced gasfitter. they will happily sell people chainsaws over the counter with just a warning label, and I'm pretty sure what causes more damage out of those and swapping out a single GPO for a double one.

19. MrSquiggle

MrSquiggle Member

Yeah, just like Joe Driver!
    I'm all for placing signs in every language (200+) every metre or two along rivers and coast lines just in case some one goes swimming without appropriate skills. :Paranoid:

I'm still curious as to how Rudd & Garrett copped all the flak regarding inadequate insulation workmanship. Wasn't it a case of pre-existing house wiring when some workers, going about their business got electrocuted. Were these deaths the fault of illegal wiring or just crappy licensed electricians? (I don't know, does anyone? - I do know the coalition rabble don't care about facts when beat up some thing for cheap theatrics.)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  20. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

I would argue, without knowing you, from your posts though, that you are not the average. The rules are not because of you, they're because of a whole heap of numpties that can't do wiring safely and think scotchlocks are the cutting edge of wiring simplicity.