ARMA 3 - General Discussion

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by the_antipop, May 20, 2011.

1. irR4tiOn4L

irR4tiOn4L Member

So how does Altis compare to Chernarus?

2. watto86

watto86 Member

Welllllll, I was on Lanbox, so....

3. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

In what way? It is absolutely massive and beautiful but it doesn't have that post apocalyptic feel to it.

4. supernom

supernom Member

After all the talk I'm a bit dissapointed with Altis

sure the scale and size is surely impressive! But a lot of it just feels so empty and wasted space.
    could be smaller, with more stuff.
    I only had a quick fly around but didn't see any properly dense forest area?

5. Blah72

Blah72 Member

I'm loving Altis, there's plenty of forest from what i've seen, loving the really dense bamboo stuff as well. Cant say im disappointed at all, i prefer it to chernarus personally, feels like there is more variety in terrain. The textures seem better than on Stratis as well.

Performance is good as well, luckily im not affected by the issues people have reported. Unfortunately MP is unplayable still, i get something like 10fps. Might have to retire my trusty old q6600.

Not sure what they were going on about with the rain effects, rain is available now but its just as shit as it was in OFP.....cant see any improvement.

I wish the editor was easier to use though, just basic things like choosing a units load out etc.

6. Philll

Philll Member

It's surprisingly easy once you read up on it a bit, it's very simple code

On the subject of UAVs... I know how to connect to one, fly it, shoot things etc, but what is the point of the laser on them in single player? You can mark objects for who? How do you fire on something a UAV is marking?

7. budzilla

budzilla Member

When I first played I thought the same thing but it isn't the case. The mountainous area in the western part of the island is 3 times the size of Stratis. The town areas are now the size of the original Arma and all the buildings are now enterable! There is more empty space but there is more to do. If you want to see a truly empty island load up Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

PC Gamer tour of the island. Tall grass!

My only concern is that dickhead map makers will think that they have to use the entire island for making a mission.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  8. LINUX

LINUX Member

On this note: are there existing or planned laser guided missiles?

9. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Stupid question time: I'm assuming aircraft are coming on release day in September?

10. Blah72

Blah72 Member

I think there will be one aircraft on launch day. People haven't stopped bitching about it on the BI forums for the last month, apparently most of them wont make it into the launch though from what i understand.

11. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Gotcha, just making sure I hadn't missed something with the dev update. Bring on the final release, can't wait to go flying.

12. irR4tiOn4L

irR4tiOn4L Member

Just went through a 1.8 gb update only to realise I didn't check "dev build" in the properties/betas box and need another 2.6 gb update for Altis

*groan*

I'm a little concerned to be honest that Altis is a return for the series to the more barren, arid environments that most Armas with the exception of the original Flashpoint and Arma 2 have featured. Chernarus was a huge breath of fresh air for me, being more of a continental Europe setting (a part of the Czech Rep to be exact). It harkened back to the cold war setting of the original Flashpoint, which is probably the only real competitive and plausible matchup between first world forces in the modern world. And it was extremely refreshing to have woods to hide in again.

How do you guys find Altis as a setting? It seems a lot like going back to the setting of Arma 1

EDIT: Well I've tried it and it is certainly expansive and well modelled, but it is definitely a return to arid and sparse environments which I personally just don't find as engaging. Guess Chernarus will remain my favourite for now. Anybody know if it's possible to port it over from Arma 2?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  13. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Yes totally possible. I have flown around chern, in the editor and have been playing Day Z in Arma 3 Chernarus map for about a month or so now.

14. power

power Member

15. Blah72

Blah72 Member

If you have Arma 2 installed you can use the All in Arma mod to import Chernarus and all the Arma2 content into A3. Chernarus looks a lot more bright and colourful in A3 than it does in A2 though.

16. budzilla

budzilla Member

Sahrani wasn't barren? It is probably the most varied map out of all the Arma games, with the north having a temperate landscape and the south a tropical climate. The north was kind of boring, the south was interesting and fresh with the largest cities of the series.

I guess Altis from an aesthetic point of view feels a lot like South Sahrani.

17. Blah72

Blah72 Member

A new dev update is out which adds all the remaining vehicles, tanks, boats etc. Only 7days till launch. Apparently a build has been sent out to reviewers, be interesting to see how it gets rated...

18. Philll

Philll Member

No my screens, but still:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Can't wait to try it

19. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Anyone else having ARMA 3 die on them a few minutes in?

20. Blah72

Blah72 Member

Its fine for me, i dont think its crashed even once for me since day 1. im noticing severe performance hits around forests or anywhere there's more than 4 trees since the last few patches....Usually performance is very consistent everywhere, except towns...now around trees i get a 50% performance drop. :(

I really hope the final release version has more performance tweaks.