ARMA 3 - General Discussion

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by the_antipop, May 20, 2011.

1. LINUX

LINUX Member

I think performance is fine on a decent rig, this was captured with my 4GB GTX 770:

Everything was maxed out, terrain view distance set to 12km and object distance to about 5km, looked pretty amazing. Naturally it wasn't 60fps, probably about 15-20, but it was smooth and playable. Dropping the view distance makes FPS skyrocket.

Multiplayer FPS, however, is somewhat of an issue. The drawing thread being locked to the simulation thread is a bit of an annoying design choice, no doubt throwing mutex'es around everywhere made the coding easier though.

2. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I got on board early with the alpha and didn't really play it at all coz there was no content..

Then last night saw that the final was out so downloaded the 3.4gb update, which then told me I had a disk read error. It wouldn't fix itself so I deleted the local content and downloaded all of 8.1gb again..

Loaded it up and was anticipating a lot.. and.. wtf.. there's literally no content? The campaign is to come? There didn't seem to be any scenarios either? just 20? training missions or whatever..

ummmm yeaaaaaaaaah.. i'll wait 6 months and try again, its quite clear that this was released way to early..

Or am I missing something.. Arma 3 is now just a multiplayer game?

3. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

The multiplayer is pretty good. Plus there is the Steam workshop for downloading user made missions. But yes, it is a little lacking at the moment in content...

4. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Just as a quick update, played about 1 hours worth of multiplayer on a 40/40 player games.net server. Ran quite well, much better than before. Even had someone commenting that ARMA always ran smoothest for them on that particular server.

5. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I don't play MP games..

6. Wizardx8

Wizardx8 Member

First instalment of the campaign due next month.

7. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Then definitely don't buy it yet. Give the campaign a few months to come out.

8. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Apart from the GPU, what are your system specs?

9. moist.au

moist.au (Banned or Deleted)

Anyone know the cheapest place to get this? Really want it but with GTAV, and BF4 pre-order, I can't justify $60 for this...

10. Blah72

Blah72 Member

An interesting read:
    http://www.arma3.com/news/report-in-marek-spanel-ceo#.UjPR-sZmwo5

"That’s a lot to look forward to! How about the Arma 2 content library? Will there be some form of backwards compatibility?

Originally, we had an idea that was similar to Take On Rearmed. Unfortunately, upgrading the Arma 2 massive content library to Arma 3 standards is beyond what we can do in reasonable time. So instead, what we are going to do will be similar to Arma 1: we are going to release the entire Arma 2 library to the community and allow them create any derivative work within Arma 3. More details will be announced very soon."

"And, in general, how do you see the community’s role in the future of Arma 3, and what are you doing to support them?

I think the next big thing could be opening up Arma 3 to paid user-made content. It’s great to see talented mod-makers pulling off amazing missions, add-ons and mods as free content, but if we manage to find some incentive for the best mod-makers to develop more content, I think we can raise the bar even higher. I want to push this effort in two distinct ways, and I consider these as a priority for next year. We are going to announce more specific details in the coming months."

11. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Playing on a co-op 40 player server is awesome fun, even with the computer struggling under the load?! :thumbup:

12. LINUX

LINUX Member

4GB GTX770
    i5-3570 @3.8GHz
    8GB RAM
    Some cheap Gigabyte MOBO
    FRAPS recording to the same 1TB HDD that ARMA was loading off

I used to run a Phenom II x4 with a HD6850, it was semi-playable but the CPU upgrade made WORLDS of difference. The GTX770 upgrade was less noticeable because the graphics got cranked upwards until the FPS was just acceptable (~35-40fps in singleplayer, adjusted with view distance).

In multiplayer FPS is always server limited (~50% CPU/40% GPU) so all the settings get left maxed out.

13. Syvirus

Syvirus Member

=/ Donno why you would by arma3 for then as thats what the games all about...

If you got this back in march you could have had it for $30 or maby it was $25. Now the prices have jumped like crazy.

14. Domokun

Domokun Member

Have they fixed the low GPU usage issues yet? If not, I'm tempted to request a refund and be done with it.

15. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

I haven't noticed much difference in performance yet, so I'd hazard a guess and say no...

Also just gave up playing online due to epic griefing from some dickheads. They really need to get some proper server votekick stuff in so the game isn't ruined if there are no admins around.

16. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

Playing some of the new missions tonight-

Tried to play escape from Altis- unplayable lag and bugs. I couldn't drive cars, inventory was glitching out. Was stuck and unable to move.

Tank mission- just shows people how shit the AI is. Why is there enemy soldiers just scattered around everywhere for no reason with no AT weapons. What's the point? Tank handles like shit too, good work on the pysx BIS :rolleyes:

Drone mission- is boring as hell. First thing I tried to do was close the lights of the UGV but everytime I connected to the UGV and switched them off and logged out, they would just instantly turn back on. Bugs out if you try taking control of the drone while in the mortar station. Very tedious to keep having to jump out of the mortar, use the uav and then go back and adjust. Just shitty boring mission design.

Why does BIS even bother.

17. Blah72

Blah72 Member

I played the tank mision, couldn't help but laugh at their implementation of physX on tanks...it was just bouncing around everywhere. Also what is up with the stupid conflict with targeting in vehicles and switching to 3rd person view? they both seem to be mapped to right click by default.....

Hoping the dev branch update tomorrow will do something for performance.

18. Linkin

Linkin Member

For anyone interested, PCCG have TrackIR 5's available - with the track clip pro included. Worth it if you love the ARMA games... you'll never want to play another game without it...

19. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

True that! Got mine a few weeks ago... chopper flying is awesome with it!

20. ugotdan

ugotdan Member

OMG $209!! And for those who don't want to fork out a fortune for a couple of LEDs! - Go here and build one for $15 -
    http://www.free-track.net/english/

Here's mine, it works just as good as my mate's TrackIR 4. What a rip off!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]