ARMA 3 - General Discussion

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by the_antipop, May 20, 2011.

1. Blah72

Blah72 Member

The IGN review for this game is laughable. Seems the reviewer was to dumb to figure out how to play properly. I know it isn't quite as simple as the usual FPS but it isn't that complicated to play. I thought they would've complained about performance etc but apparently not...

2. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

He still gave it a 7.0 (Good) rating. A lot of what he said I actually agree with, but I'm surprised he didn't mention anything about performance issues?

3. Blah72

Blah72 Member

I don't care about their rating, i just thought there was a lot of whinging of the controls which aren't as complicated as he made it sound. Its pretty hard to accidentally put down a satchel charge and blow yourself up with it....

But yeah, I expected more complaining about performance and lack of campaign, the main negatives are apparently "Tough to learn and Uncurated". Also i think the sound is alright....definitely not one of the worse aspects of Arma3.

The guy is right about team work and communication though, its so frustrating trying to play when most people don't have a mic, or even bother typing. You just cant communicate properly and people never seem to stick with their squad.

4. gibbz

gibbz Member

Does this have loading of multiplayer games yet? Just tried a beta copy and there was saving, but no loading of multiplayer games :(

5. Wilf55

Wilf55 Member

The game is out of Beta now, and what do you mean by loading/saving multiplayer games ?

6. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Just saw on steam that latest Patch is out today. Appears to optimize the Altis map and the AI for better performance, along with a few other things. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Will do so later if I can get the time.

*Edit: Wow, performance is much improved now! Playing on a 40 player coop mission at night just then. Major battles over towns are now running very smoothly, as opposed to before when it would turn into a slide show. Very happy!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  7. owner

owner Member

Running with 40+ players on our servers ran perfectly with little to no fps loss due to mp.

8. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Yup, I'm very happy with the latest patch, its running very smooth now! And damn does the game look good. Playing on a coop DOM night server last night, watching 40 players trying to take a town from the AI is spectacular. I especially like it when you see an enemy tank get disabled by an AT missile, the crew jump out, numerous tracers converge on the poor tank and crew lol.

The game feels great, has great graphics, and nice effects. All in all, I'm very impressed now. Just need some decent mods to start coming out... :thumbup:

9. Blah72

Blah72 Member

I was on the beta branch but swapped back to the normal one since there are basically no servers running it. Haven't seen any improvement in MP performance unfortunately. Wish there were more people playing though, there's only like 2 servers with a decent player count at any time.

10. Linkin

Linkin Member

I forsee many physx_x86.dll crashes in my future

:tired:

11. FiShy

FiShy Member

Pretty much this and the game is unplayable due to it

12. Blah72

Blah72 Member

Why is that? Have they boned the physics or something?

13. FiShy

FiShy Member

In the latest patch when ever an explosion happenes it has a chance to crash to desktop anyone with in a few km's with that error.

Its taking out 25 people of a 45/60 server constantly.

14. LINUX

LINUX Member

Thanks, I was wondering what was causing that!

15. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Think I witnessed this the other night. Out of nowhere about half the people on the server suddenly disconnected?! Was a bit amusing actually...

16. Blah72

Blah72 Member

After playing a bit i started encountering the error. Hope they hotfix that asap. Damn irritating after preparing load out, getting in chopper, arriving at destination, begin assault, game crashes :tired:

Performance has improved heaps on some servers, Lanbox ones are great, other servers still have huge performance issues though.

17. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

That's an interesting point. I've only played on lanbox servers since the patch was released, so my claims on massively improved performance may be a bit inaccurate. I'll test some different servers tonight to compare.

18. Blah72

Blah72 Member

Its literally become unplayable now for me. It just crashes every 5min with the physx error. Pretty pissed off...i never encountered a bug this bad all through the alpha and beta.:thumbdn:

19. Sammells

Sammells Member

Any news/updates on when the piece of shit will be optimised? I cannot pass 30fps, it's unplayable.

My system is more the powerful enough (3930k, 16GB ram, 2x680's). No matter what settings I run (2560x1440p) it has no impact whether maximum or minimum. Was really looking forward to it, now really over it.

20. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Everyone whos experiencing performance issues have u got hyperthreading turned off in bios?