ArmA II (Armed Assault 2) General Discussion

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by the_antipop, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Frag

Frag Member

Ospi, I managed to get SLi working. It does not seem to make a big difference in towns but in the hill sides etc i get 50fps avg :) (before 30-35)

use -winxp in your shortcut
    One other trick is to rename arma2 to crysis.exe (obviously uses crysis profile?)

What I had to do tho is use nHancer, clean driver installs and forcing my GPU to AFR: quad sli (not just sli). I spent 2 days on trying to get this working and finally did.. however in towns etc it did not improve performance much, but as i said in hill sides and villages it motors now :)

2. bojo

bojo Member

Finished my exams.

Now 15+ days to wait.

Godayummit this sucks!!!!!! This is probably the most anticipation i've had for any game ever.

3. Ospi

Ospi Member

hmm I did the winxp thing but it didnt seem to make a difference for me. problem is the ATi control panel is SO useless compared to the Nvidia one and getting profiles working as intended is a pain. I'll fiddle around with it though and see how I go.

4. Psycho84

Psycho84 Member

I wish you the best of luck as I have a 4850X2 waiting for this game!

5. Frag

Frag Member

Hrmm to be honest, I didn't notice SLi because I was doing the start of Razor Two mission to benchmark. I kept getting 30-33FPS no matter what settings I chose, so I had very high textures/Very high AF/ High objects/ High Shadows and no matter whether these were very high/high I pretty much got 29-33 so naturally for a cpl fps I left the candy on.

I tried 5 drivers, profile hacks, crysis.exe as the executable etc, still had same performance...

BUT later on in Manhattan mission, i decided to turn some detail down as I needed more fps in the action scene... Turned down shadows, turned down terratin (both to normal) and my FPS went from 28-33 to 48-60..

I left Textures on very high as well as AF as they made no diff yet again.

I run the SLi bar graph using nhancer and sure enough it was using both cards (Not fully load optimised but still)

So yeah, something in the "city" is causing a massive bottleneck... Some peeps have done tests where they run at a building from one side and they get 30 fps and run from the other they get 50 fps. I think they may have a bug in their culling code or something.

6. Frag

Frag Member

MINI REVIEW:

Ok, I thought I would put a mini review up since I have spent a few solid days on this game now.

Graphics: For a game of this scale, the GFX are very nice. You will need a beefy single gpu to enjoy them (at the moment sli/xfire is having some issues so I wouldn't be suprised if a GTX285/4890 beat the GTX295/4870X2). Also a beefy CPU is needed. To give you an idea on my system:
    i7 920 @ 4.2
    6Gb @ 1600Mhz
    GTX295 OC'ed 650/1400/1100
    Xfi XtremeGamer Fatality

I get approx 30-35fps in the "LARGE" cities, and 48-60 in the wilderness.
    This @ 1920x1200, Very high Textures, Very High AF, Low P/Process and normal everything else with 3.5Km view distance.

Basically don't expect to play this on full eye candy on ANY current system, next gen cards may be needed to actually push the engine. Oh and when you play at full detail, the game looks unreal.

The vehicles in this game look awesome, lots of details nice textures, superb.

The units in the game look 10x better then ARMA but still don't move as nice as they could, but still look great. Skins etc are good, but once again the mod community will be there to make new ones as game ages!

Sound: To be honest I wasn't super impressed with the sound, but as always ARMA mod community has already made sound packs, so I have been using VOPSOUND 2.0 mod and its unreal. Weapons definately take on a new flavour :) So yeah once again the mod community will be always brining out better and better sound.

Gameplay: Well I have only played SP, since most the action is in europe and playing with 500 pings was getting me kicked.

Now the game is buggy still, but patch 1.02 which will address MANY of these mission bugs should be released in time for the international release. Bugs include CTD's, Mission bugs where some scripts don't run, or run out of order, Most annoying one I have which seems to be common in later missions, is crashing while saving! If it does that you have to restart the mission! And since some missions may take 4hrs plus to complete you may want to put a bullet in your pc. Easy fix, each time you save manually copy the save files in case the next one gets corrupted.

The game play i feel has gone back closer to Op flash then arma 1. I am about halfway through SP in mission count (not hours left as each mission gets harder and longer), and absolutely love the missions.. Huge open ended missions, you have helis at your command to transport your recon team about, armour, you get to call in artilery etc.. Awesome... sneak up on a camp, paint the target and watch the fire works... then run through and clean up any survivors.

Just be aware that until 1.02 patch comes out I would say game is almost unplayable from half way in missions with frequent CTDs and corruptions.. So you need patience etc.. The german release was "forced" by the publisher when game was not ready, (German publisher wanted the early sales i suppose?). I assume patch 1.02 will address the major bugs in missions, and then they may look at performance issues. BIS is a small studio that is dedicated to their games and certainly backed by a huge mod community.

Replayability - Well, to be honest I think I will be playing this game for years to come :) There will be 100's of mods, best Co-Op multiplayer imaginable, just way too much fun.. So long as you like combat sims (COD4, BF2, etc are not COMBAT sims!), you will love this game.. LOL people still play op flash, with 100's of mods and missions that are better then the original!

Interface: Well pretty much like ARMA 1. They have made a few things easier, but there is such a depth to the commands that its always going to be clunky. I wish they gave more unit control on the map.. Could be better, and I hope they work on it..

Overall:
    Ok, well assuming there are no bugs left I would easily give this game 9/10 if not more. Though currently with all the bugs/crashes I wouldn't give it anywhere near that.. The game will need a good couple of months to settle and when you understand the sheer scale of this game you will realise why there are so many bugs still. Each mission can be approached in 100's of ways, so naturally bugs will take some time to iron out. BIS are well known for their support so sit tight, basically you get a diamond in the rough... just wait until it gets cut and you will be a happy camper :)

Some random screenies:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  7. Blah72

Blah72 Member

so what is the performance like compared to something like Crysis? I've got a 8800GTS and a Q6600, both OC'd and i get about 40-45 avg FPS in Crysis with high-very high detail. What kind of performance would i expect in Arma2? people seem to be having mixed results, i find it hard to believe this game would be much more demmanding than Crysis is so im expecting it would run ok on my system with high or maybe normal+high details?

8. Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

Had a <5 min burl on one of the training missions. I cranked everything as high as it would go (although i didn't restart the game, so perhaps not all changes took) and it ran smooth as butter. 90% usage on both CPU cores. Cant wait to fiddle more tonight! :thumbup:

9. Frag

Frag Member

Depends on your res, but say 1280x1024 should run nice.

I will do a fresh install on another partition and see what results I get. So far i am not too impressed with performance for my rig, but as I said mine is not using Sli properly _yet_. Some people report that game runs super smooth on their rigs, yet their armamark scores are much lower then mine.. so could be I am just used to 100FPS plus in everything.

As for this game vs Crysis.. I would say this game is more intensive. Remember crysis is a small game compared to this, in terms of sandbox size. When you set everything to very high the game is super impressive.

If you get over 30fps min the game feels fluid thanks to blur effect etc, but each persons expecation is different and well i set mine very high :p

10. Ospi

Ospi Member

warning about training, it runs wayy smoother than normal maps for some reason (less active crap maybe?). I get 60fps in the training grounds but it's only 25-30 when campaigning.

11. Borgod

Borgod Member

Thanks for the review Frag.

Got me worried about my PC now... similar to yours Ospi except just HD4870.

12. Ospi

Ospi Member

Well I think it might just be me a bit, results seem to vary quite a bit. I'm still messing around with settings and stuff but will see. im gonna try a different OS as well.

13. Blah72

Blah72 Member

well i like to run 1920x1200 but i know thats pretty intensive on my system even in Crysis. I'd be hoping for 1680x1050 or something, with AF, no AA. I can deal with 30fps, so long as it isnt below 20 i can live with it.

I know the scale probably makes a difference, but how much performance is there to be gained by lowering the draw/view distance in ARMA2?

I'm guessing though when it's actually is released here, outside of germany, nvidia etc will release some new "optimised" drivers which will probly make it run a lot better than it currently does, thats usualy what happens. The performance your getting does seem really low for your system, makes me worry about my poor dated pc.

Is it possible to have AI players in online games? i'm hoping with the scale of the game something like a quad core cpu would be useful..

14. eddigan

eddigan Member

yup vundo virus alright, serves me right for being desperate :tongue:

15. Borgod

Borgod Member

Report here how you go :)

I'm running Vista64 and also 1920x1200 res so it aint looking good :/
    My 8gig ram might help a fraction, but I might have to start doing some overclocking on the CPU again in readiness!

16. Ospi

Ospi Member

yeah I think a CPU clock will be the most beneficial.

17. Frag

Frag Member

I don't know.. I think there is still something screwy with the engine.. I think the AI is doing something crazy, and eating cpu cycles it shouldn't need to or edges are not culled..

I played game for 30 mins, and the most my CPU was used was 27% ...i7 @ 4.2

Now the GPU reached a whopping 55C!! GTX295.. Lol thats a little over 10c from idle.

What I am trying to say that I could run arma and 2 other games and Arma would run the same.. In fact I ran 2 arma's once and it did not impact performance a huge amount.. Dunno, I think I may try it on 32bit XP (some claim massive gains!).. I'll keep playing as i can't be stuffed with SP due to CTD in later missions

EDIT: If anyone has a 4980 / GTX285 and wants to come past so I can whack it in my PC and do some testing.... :p LOL I was thinking of picking up a 4890 just to test out :) then sell

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  18. Foliage

Foliage Member

Could someone perhaps post a guide to aquire a copy of arma 2 and get it working with a legally purchased cd key? Basically a list of what patches etc you need to get it in English and so you don't encounter fade.

:)

Basically what I've heard is you just download a pirated image, install with legal cd-key, apply patches and off you go, but what about cd check? wouldn't using a no cd crack cause fade to kick in?

19. Ospi

Ospi Member

Maybe you can get the digital download from somewhere?

Anyway I'm getting impatient waiting for this to be released everywhere because multi sucks are atm, just completely disorganised with idiots runnings around like chickens with no heads and seemingly zero actual strategic warfare.

20. Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

Well finally got setup with this game! Works over hamachi too :)

Sooo confusing, and i've even played Arma :weirdo:

I reckon from about 5 hours of rootin around, i killed about 4 people :lol:

Most game's learning curve= /
    Arma's learning curve = |

I take back what i said about the performance too. Must've just been because i was the only one on the map. It runs like absolute cawk on max detail. Probably around 10-15fps. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to be GPU loading, because my CPU was sitting on 95% load. There's one particular slider, something about filtration, that almost seems like it's a resolution slide. All the way to the left and it looks like 1024x768, all the way to the right and it looks crisp. That slider destroys frame rates. That being said, it does look pretty nice! Just gotta find some well balanced detail settings.