Around The World 2017 - Business Class on Frequent Flyer Points [departed 9 AUG 2017]

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by nin82, Sep 9, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

busy busy busy!
    Got married, work got real busy and we had many family from overseas arrive for the wedding which meant we were going to the airport a lot, but tomorrow it'll be our turn to fly!

No changes to flights and accommodation is all sorted, we will be staying with family in Ho Chi Minh and Sapporo is booked.

Pulled a 'bank error in your favour' monopoly card :lol:
    Somehow a second $400 amex travel credit appeared on my account despite having already claimed it for the year :confused:
    So we used that to save a bit on Sapporo hotel. We will have to change hotels midway through our stay there, as it works out a fair bit cheaper that way.

Europe trains and some airport trains also booked, with it costing about $600 total for us to go via train:
    Berlin -> Hamburg ($73)
    Hamburg -> Copenhagen ($206)
    Copenhagen -> Jonkoping ($78)
    Jonkoping -> Stockholm ($143)
    Along with airtrains from Stockholm->Airport ($60) and Hong Kong Express return ($66) for our first daytrip.

Still to do:
    Buy second Hong Kong airport train tickets and Narita airport train tickets

2. josh_676

josh_676 Member

That's awesome, are any of your flights with Qantas?

I'm currently saving towards this with my Wife (she doesn't like flying,so is pretty resistant to the idea :()

3. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

The last flight from Sydney to Brisbane is on Qantas :lol:
    We wanted to avoid Qantas as the taxes they charge are too high compared to other carriers. :thumbdn:

4. josh_676

josh_676 Member

But what about the product?

I have been abusing the FF CC's for a number of business class upgrades with work (10k a flight, Perth to the east, well worth it)

I really rate the Qantas service levels / lie flat beds etc.

5. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

And we're on our way! I could get used to this :lol:

Currently in the CX lounge at HKG after spending about 4 hours in Hong Kong. Pretty humid here and showers in the lounge are well worth it.

Cannot comment on QF business class flights as we've not had the luxury of experiencing that before, but the CX flight from BNE was great, with excellent service and also lie flat beds.

We have had access to QF lounges before via passes at BNE/MEL/AKL/NRT, but this CX lounge in HKG is a lot better than any of the QF ones :thumbup:

Next stop New York!:D

6. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

Currently in Madrid, leaving tomorrow for Munich. New York was so damn busy with crowds everywhere all the time. Madrid is hot but not as crowded. The lemon beers here help cool things down.

Madrid has been quick to install some concrete obstacles around Puerta del Sol pedestrian area after the terror attack in Barcelona a couple of days ago. Police presence has increased slightly but it was already high before.

Had some dramas with my credit card earlier in the year (was used fraudulently and maxed out in about an hour), which at the end of the investigation resulted in the bank refunding the Madrid hotel costs despite it being charged a week before the fraud date. Hotel got their money and didn't ask for payment on check-in, so I think I pulled a second 'bank error in your favour' monopoly card :leet:

Some other quick flight/airport thoughts:

Flew out of JFK terminal 7 on Iberia with access to the British Airways lounge. This BA lounge has been the worst so far, showers in particular needs a refurb (like the rest of the terminal ). Bar was good, but food on offer was poor.

Iberia business class flight was good but not as good as cathay pacific.
    I found the lay flat seats were more comfortable but the layout with straight facing seats feeling not as private as the angled ones of cathay. Dinner was better with Iberia, but breakfast was basic. Overall service was more friendly too on cathay.

Madrid airport terminal 4 was much nicer and easier to travel via public transport into the city. Madrid metro doesn't start early enough for tomorrow's flight though so we'll be going via hotel organised shuttle.

Next stop Munich for a 23 hour transit :D

7. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

Busy times :lol:

Made our way from Munich to Berlin on Airberlin (economy - was a full flight) and then train from Berlin to Hamburg, then Copenhagen, Jonkoping and Stockholm.

Caught up with some cousins I haven't seen since I was 10 and they were pretty happy to meet us, and has been the highlight of the trip so far.

Currently in the Finnair lounge at Helsinki after spending the day in the city, waiting for our flight to Hong Kong

Comparing lounges so far on this trip and previous trips:
    1. Cathay Wing in Hong Kong
    2. Qantas Brisbane
    3. Qantas Tokyo
    4. Qantas Auckland
    5. Iberia Madrid
    6. British Airways JFK
    7. Finnair Helsinki
    8. Aurora Lounge Stockholm

Tight call between Qantas Brisbane and Tokyo, with Brisbane ahead because of the bar service and the fact that they walked around offering freshly cooked party pies and spring rolls when we were there. Otherwise Tokyo had better food.

I was excited to get into the Finnair lounge at Helsinki as it looked flash, but the food on offer was pretty disappointing. Tried some but it wasn't to my taste. Walked outside the lounge and got a burger from burger king instead. There is some sort of Japanese sports team here and they also have takeaway burger king bags too.

British Airways at JFK had bar service and better food despite being in need of renovations.

Aurora lounge at Stockholm had no bar and basic everything so it gets last place.

Hopefully the Finnair flight to Hong Kong will have good service. 18 hour transit then onwards to Ho Chi Minh :thumbup:

8. Shags

Shags Member

Cool thread!, I'll be looking to do something similar, i've gone from zero to 500K Qantas points in 2 months - it's cost me ~$800 in CC Fees but that's a cheap price to pay for 2 return trips to London in First class

9. josh_676

josh_676 Member

But how???

10. Shags

Shags Member

This is all off the top of my head so might not be 100% right but -
    Amex $450 ($450 Flight Credit Incl, 2x Qantas Lounge Passes), 100k,
    Westpac Qantas Card $200(Half normal Price),(2x Qantas Lounge Passes) 100k,
    GF Amex $450 ($450 Flight Credit Incl, 2x Qantas Lounge Passes) 100k + 30k Referral
    ANZ Qantas Card $0 Fee(normally 1 or 200), 100k Points & 70 Status Credits
    NAB Qantas Card, $400, 100k Points

So that cost me $1500, but i've got 6 Qantas Lounge Passes, $900 in flight credit per year. provided we make use of that, that's cost us $600 for 530k points. I'll be cancelling every card as soon as they allow - and trying to do it again as soon as i'm eligible in a year or two :)

11. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Nice! Life hacks FTW

12. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

Nice one Shags :thumbup:

Seems that the days of bonus points on a card with a $0 annual fee are gone (with the exception of ANZ) :upset:

Have been thinking of doing something similar to get another RTW trip, because even with card fees it is still worth it. (Looking at roughly $2k in card fees and flight taxes for another RTW business class trip) :lol:

And for anyone else following this thread - yes I have finished the trip and will post an update soon-ish... :tongue:

13. Shags

Shags Member

Have you got any thoughts on upping to first instead ? I can't decide

14. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

You will have to plan accordingly, as first class is not available on all flights/routes.

I can only remember seeing first class available on one flight that we went on and whilst it looked pretty good walking past, I wouldn't bother as it was only a short flight (HKG to SGN, <3hr flight).

15. Shags

Shags Member

This is 380k, 24 Hours in Emirates First class would be nice :)

21:50
    Amsterdam
    Duration: 6h 40m
    06:30 Wed
    Dubai
    Stops: 0 Flight operated by EmiratesEK150
    Seat Available EK150 Economy

Seat Available EK150 Business

Seat Available EK150 First
    EK = Flight EK150 is operated by Emirates
    Flight 2 out of 2
    09:25 Wed
    Dubai
    Duration: 16h 25m
    07:50 Thu
    Melbourne
    Stops: 1 Flight operated by EmiratesEK404
    EK = Flight EK404 is operated by Emirates
    Total duration: 26h 00m

16. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

Just be aware that whilst you are certainly able to book an Emirates flight with Qantas points, I don't think you will be able to use this as part of a RTW ticket as you would need to fly with a oneworld carrier which Emirates is not a member of.

It is 420k points for a RTW type ticket, so for another 40k points you can get some more first class flights.

17. Shags

Shags Member

The best value i can see at the moment is -
    Amex Qantas Card $450 - 65k Points + 30k to the person that refers you (otherwise 55k)
    Qantas Amex $200 ($150 off)- 60k Points
    Westpac Amex - $200 (Half off) - 100k Points

18. archie

archie Member

great use of points but I'm not sure I'll ever be in a position to book 12 months before a trip.

Not having any qantas status also makes it harder.

for this reason alone I've stuck to krisflyer which has great J & PE availability even with short notice, even booked on points 10 days before a J flight.

19. Shags

Shags Member

There's a great ANZ card if you're elligble, completely free, 75 Status Points & 75K Points.

Also OP - What happened to your flight reviews? :p

I just purchased a business ticket from Syd>Mel for my father - apparently it wasn't much better than economy which was disappointing.

20. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

what were you expecting on a < 1 hour domestic flight?

archie likes this.