Array corrupting on 2 different raid controllers

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Vampire, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Vampire

Vampire Member

Hey guys, having some annoying troubles with a RAID5 array I've been playing around with. Basically I built a raid5 array with a Promise Supertrak EX 8350 with 5 x 1.5tb seagate hdd's, installed Windows Server 2008 r2 on a separate disk for the OS. After 20 mins of use I would start to experience random file corruption only on the raid array. After a reconfiguring/recreating the array with different stripe sizes and what not, the exact same thing occurred. I thought it must have been due to the raid controller being faulty, so I gave up and removed it, then plugged all the drives into the motherboard to use onboard raid. I configured the drives again in raid 5 (with brand new cables if its worth mentioning) and fired up windows, within about 45 minutes I noticed further corruption occuring :(

Im not pretty confused as to what the problem might be... a faulty drive maybe? If so, how would I even find out which one? The raid shows up as healthy using both the promise controller and onboard raid. The only other thing I could think of is possibly a ram issue... but that wouldnt really explain why I only experience corruption on the raid and not the standalone OS hard drive.

Any thoughts on where I should be looking next? My only real thought is to run memtest and see what the results of that are.

Cheers.

2. saba

saba Evil Vizier

If the controller has memory, it could be dud. Also could be system memory, or maybe a dodgy power supply.

3. OP
    OP
    Vampire

Vampire Member

But I tired a controller card AND onboard sata raid with the same result, so that would have to rule out a faulty controller. Ill do a memtest on it, as far as power supply goes.... it isnt a cheap PSU so I doubt it, not quite sure how to prove it though.

4. young_einstein

young_einstein Member

I doubt it would be the power supply either, but it's pretty easy to 'prove' by just swapping it out with another one ...

5. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

ummm run seatools on the drives maybe?
    (I assume seagates diag program is still called that?)
    have you checked the power settings of the drives / sleep time and such, obvious question but it never hurts to ask does it
    tried different cables by any chance, have had corrupt files on single drives before caused by bad data cables

6. saba

saba Evil Vizier

Stop overclocking and run at stock for a while. Maybe even underclock if you've been running it for a while.

7. OP
    OP
    Vampire

Vampire Member

Its running at totally stock speeds. This isnt a box in my sig, its a different one. I should have mentioned that. Running a memtest now, if it comes out good I'll run seatools on the drives.

8. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

Perhaps its an issue with Server 2008 R2 and partitions over 2TB in size? Would explain why the OS drive isn't affected.

9. OP
    OP
    Vampire

Vampire Member

I actually checked the computer this morning and it had bluescreened with the error "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT". I am running a memtest as we speak and Im already seeing a LOT of errors. Im guessing the memory is the culprit. I'll swap out the ram and see if memtest improves, and go from there :thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    Vampire

Vampire Member

I randomly took out 2 ram modules and booted with only 4gb of ram, memtest passed with flying colours. I have put the raid controller back, rebuilt the raid and I havent had any problems or corruption since then. :thumbup:

11. T101

T101 Member

How did you tell it was corrupting. Did u run stress tests on it or just transfer a whole bunch of files and did verifty on them after?

I once had a problem like this.
    I kept replacing the memory thinking it was at fault (which it was) ..but for a short time. Ended up being a dodgy PSU from Antec.

12. OP
    OP
    Vampire

Vampire Member

A couple of ways, downloading torrents (they kept corrupting and restarting) and also large transfers (~1tb). Still going well now running with only 2 ram modules and not 4 :)

13. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

The last lot of RAM I had problems with, I ended up pulling it out, cleaning all the contacts and reseating it - Worked like a charm after that :)