1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ars at CES 2013 $17,000 Linux-powered rifle brings “auto-aim” to the real world

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by f3n1x, Jan 10, 2013.

1. f3n1x

f3n1x Member

Finally i can teminate zombie processes with prejudice.

Edit: Derp link, http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/17000-linux-powered-rifle-brings-auto-aim-to-the-real-world/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

every teacher in the US should have one in the classroom.

3. xEnt

xEnt Member

i feel sorry for whoever goes to war against the US in the future, they are going to be whining to the server admin (god) saying wtf hax get these aimbots out of our server (world)

4. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

:lol:

i feel sorry for the deer..
    hes phucked! :Paranoid:

5. davros123

davros123 Member

nice.

want.

6. rthy

rthy Member

well, they already got unmanned drones bombing shiz in the middle east

7. stmok

stmok Member

Have you even looked at their drone operations? :rolleyes:

Firstly, drones don't bomb. They use missiles which were expressly designed to kill tanks (Cold War design that expected WWIII to happen and Divisions of Soviet tanks pouring through the Fulda Gap in Germany). Because of this, their warhead is oversized when killing a specific person they're after. As a result, nearby civilians get killed. They're trying to remedy this by experimenting with smaller, more precise weapons to limit debris spread.

Secondly, look at Syria when they don't get involved and stand up for what's right. United Nations becomes a limp d*ck without direct US involvement in leading a definite military response. Syrians who are fighting against their Govt refer to them as Useless Nations. They had waited for the UN for help. After a while, they realised help wasn't coming. France (among other countries) unofficially backs them by funding their arms through Ukraine...The shipping labels of crates of arms to Syrian freedom fighters reveal all to the world.

Obama's Foreign Policy is to appease Middle East radicals and send out a message of "you shouldn't hurt us, see? We're OK!" ...Radicals see this appeasement as weakness and continue their operations. :rolleyes:

What do you do when radicals hate you because of your existence? What do you do when no amount of dialogue helps? What do you do when radicals uses your generosity as a weapon against you? What do you when radicals have a strategic agenda of destroying Western civilisation from within? What do you do when radicals sow the seeds of division among the people by creating fear? What do you do when you realise radicals only respect you and leave you alone, when you demonstrate overwhelming force that often results in civilian casaulties?

I'm very curious, what do YOU do when someone threatens your way of life?

8. dazzawul

dazzawul Member

A little OT, but well said stmok.

And the problem with this autoaim system is that you still need to aim at the target and get a lock first, before the rifle corrects and fires...
    Wouldn't you just aim yourself?

Though I suppose you visually mark the target then the rifle just does all the distance\drop\wind calculations itself and makes it a touch easier to hit your mark.

9. SchRAMBO

SchRAMBO Member

The idea behind it is that you see a game target (deer) . You put it inside the cross hair and pull the trigger. The gun then calculates and compensates for wind resistance and drift (etc) and the gun will only fire the bullet once you have correctly lined up the target for a clean kill.

Its a rather good idea to aid in making a humane instant kill. Only targeting the chest (heart) rather than taking a bad shot and maiming the game. But I highly doubt that with the hefty price tag many people would bother even considering purchasing one.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I don't understand anyone who takes pleasure in destroying life, so perhaps I'm neither the target audience for this nor should really be asking such questions. But with that said, doesn't this take the "game" out of "game hunting"?

11. kreegor

kreegor Member

Yes it does. Seems kind of pointless from a game hunting perspective.

12. The Wolf

The Wolf Member

These type of ideas are old hat in the military areana. The Germans Infanterist der Zukunft project was messing with this type of stuff years ago. Which means there is no doubt the Americans have been, And in turn our future soldier project would have. So the chineese and Russians have too.

Not if your reason for game hunting is so you can eat. It would also have applications in culling.

13. SchRAMBO

SchRAMBO Member

Yeah, just like fishing. There is a real deep satisfying and pleasurable feeling in hunting. Can't say I have been hunting since I was probally 10 but rabbits, goats, roos and boars are real problems here in WA.

Totally agree with your point evils though. I'm a traditionalist. I like to do things the old fashioned way and this auto aim really would take the skill and fun out of it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  14. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

I choose, "Rant on an internet forum about radicals you hate," for 500.

Also, this is lame. There's a YouTube video out there of a dude who did something way cooler than this years ago with some scrapped together parts and a shitty laptop. It automatically tracked moving targets and shot them with incredible accuracy, even determining when they were behind cover or not.

All this does is line up a shot you've already lined up. Weak.

15. OP
    OP
    f3n1x

f3n1x Member

Got a link for said youtube vid?

I'd be curious as to what it's servicable range would be, and if it was more than a few hundred feet how it accounted for wind and thermals?

Also im not so sure making the it possible for a rifle to be fired by a computer is a good idea.

Who become accountable if the computer kills someone through a sensory/mechanism error.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  16. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

Sorry, it was a good year or so ago and I can't even remember the title let alone any other details about it. I do recall that he put the software online for free though and he used a paintball gun to demonstrate it.

The programmer.

17. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

18. 3stars

3stars Member

skynet.......

19. HunterBunter

HunterBunter Member

While some could see this as more dangerous - crazy people + this gun = more kills per spree, others could see it as safer - police shooting crazy person = less collateral damage.

Warfare has never really been about following "decent conduct". It's purely about extinguishing opposition as quickly as possible, and I can see armies jumping on this sort of tech.

The rifle also somewhat reminds me of the crossbow's arrival. People used to think they cheapened warfare because any fool could fire one after a couple hours. Accurate archery took years of training.

20. Philll

Philll Member