[PROJECT] ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ASIGN_Baz, Jul 14, 2012.

1. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Finally!!!

Wowee, the plan is coming together! A while back I sent my design concept and dimensions to a building engineer. A couple of weeks ago I received the engineer drawings for the structural support. The drawings look fantastic, hi-tech and very professional. And get this, the awesome guy did it for free! Last week I started buying steel and cutting, drilling, welding and assembling.

The very next day, I got a message from a company called Diversified Computing and Consulting. They have very generously donated $500 to get the observatory started and have pledged $500 every month for the next six months! Wow! I am blown away and was really lost for words. Such generosity is rare and I am sure that future patrons of this resource will be very grateful. I know I am!

I also got a $100 donation from a troop-commander of mine from my army days, two astronomy mates, a church friend, plus a pledge at tax time from my insurance broker! There’s a long way to go, but all this certainly helps! At any rate, it gets it all moving and that’s often the hardest part.

This week I have bought the bearers and cut them to size, cut the support studs and cut and drilled all the joining brackets. The welder is coming tomorrow to weld all the brackets on then I can start bolting it and erecting it!! WOOOHHOOO!!

To keep up with progress, Here's a link to the project.

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Slowly getting little bits done at a time now. I only get about an hour of daylight after work at the moment, so it's frantic activity the moment I get out of the car.

Progress so far.

3. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

I recall seeing photos of the footings and slab for this poured Months and months ago ?

4. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Correct.

A few things have happened in life, notwithstanding waiting for engineer drawings and funding, I have had a change of vocation plus a new baby, so not much time for building. Things are starting to really move now though.

Baz.

5. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

WOOHOO! The Bearers are up! It took a few hours today and into the night, but the hardest part (heaviest) is done!

Progress report here.

[​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

It doesn't look like much, but I got a heap done today on the observatory. Tomorrow all the studs go up. I thought I would jump in the photo and stand still for 30 seconds tonight to give a sense of scale. (I'm 6'2)

[​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

This weekend was a marathon of time available for building. By doing some extra cash work after hours and with help from some awesome people and generous givers, I managed to get together enough funding to buy the wall-framing.

Click here for construction update.

Below: Studs in place - with some minor plumbing (vertical alignment) to be done on each before they are screwed to the flexi-track top and bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Deliverancexx

Deliverancexx (Banned or Deleted)

That looks great!
    Can't wait to see it completed.

9. yezzum

yezzum Member

An observatory in the front yard!! :lol: :thumbup: Hilarious and awesome as it's definitely not something you see every day. Quite a selling point too if you ever decide to move.

Did you get much grief from the council? Given how bad they can be for just putting up a deck or pergola, I can only imagine the potential grief in getting planning approval for this (at least in my local council area).

Sorry, only quickly skimmed the project page. Are you in a somewhat rural area? Just wondering as one of your shots shows a fantastic view of the nightsky so I'm guessing that there's minimal smog issues where you are.

Good luck with it.

10. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Thanks mate. Yep, the plans were all approved by the local planning authority. They were very helpful!

I'm in suburban Canberra, but having lived in Sydney for years, I can compare the light pollution and say that Canberra has way better night skies! :thumbup:

Baz.

11. C-NuT

C-NuT Member

That looks awesome. A great project. Good luck with it!

12. jastormont

jastormont Member

This is awesome and must be a talking point in your street. :)

Also just looked at your Photography and boy you got some great photos in there and I reckon you will get some great shoots out of this when completed.

13. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Thanks mate. It's about to become a talking point in the whole city and in a few months, likely the nation...but I will let you know all about that later... ;)

Baz.

14. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

You found the asteroid that will doom us all...?

15. hlokk

hlokk Member

Theres an observatory sticking out of a house around Claremont here in Perth, but I always wonder how useful it would be with so much light pollution. Certainly suburban Canberra would be a nicer location for those Milky shots.

With the way the pedestal and the telescope is mounted in your pic, it seems you'll need to go up to the second floor to see through the scope/set up the camera, etc. So what exactly is the point of the ground floor? Just trying to figure out the design :p

16. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Ground floor is office and warm-room. This will house desk, PC and servers etc. Plus some astro stuff for presentations etc.

Top floor in the dome itself will have a pier on top of the concrete pillar for the telescopes.

17. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

I just had a reporter and photographer from the Canberra Times come and do an interview with me on the new observatory. The story and photos will run in this coming Monday's paper.

Cheers and blessings,

Baz.

18. KonMan

KonMan Member

If you ever move and sell your house, Im really wondering what the real-estate agent will put in the ad "....with stunning views to most of the visible universe"

19. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

That's why this whole thing is bolted and screwed...so I can take it with me to my next house. :thumbup:

20. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz