[PROJECT] ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ASIGN_Baz, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Great thread, many thanks for sharing the build. Was a good read-through the other night. I'm more than a bit jealous!

My Dad is turning 60 this year and we're all planning to put in to a gift for him. I've thought an astro telescope he can connect his camera to might be good. Are such telescopes also good for terrestrial use? His house has some lovely views.

Maybe it could lead to him building an observatory over his big shed? :thumbup:

2. Zevensoft

Zevensoft Member

Whats the scope for doing false color x-ray and infra-red photography? Do you need special sensors and filters or can the current set up do it already?

Sorry if it's already been explained before, this thread is over 23 pages!

PS. Great work dude, good to see you're following your passion.

3. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Baz just seeing it on the front page again (nice work fella!) it occured to me that your observatory is just begging to be repainted in the colours of an R2 droid! Be funny being in the droid looking at a galaxy far far away...

[​IMG]

4. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Typically a telescope built for astrophotography is a fairly specific instrument with lots of things to consider like, focal length, stability of mount, ability of engineering to support the weight and balance of a camera, precise polar alignment, tracking capability for long-exposure work, the list goes on.

It is certainly NOT simple nor is it cheap. Spend a few hundred dollars and you will get rubbish. You need thousands. Plus LOTS of research first.

Thanks mate. It's not exactly the telescope, but the imaging equipment. Typically the camera is a mono CCD, preferrably cooled and a series of narrow-band filters like hydrogen alpha, oxygen and nitrogen filters etc etc. My camera is a CCD, but it is a colour camera so when I do long exposures the filter over the sensor is an array of RGB matrice. I haven't got into narrowband imaging yet.

Thanks mate. Unfortunately, the council was very specific about colour to comply with street-scape policies here in Canberra.

5. trash

trash Member

Is the observatory getting a workout tonight with the eclipse?

6. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

i hope it was

7. Deathwalks69

Deathwalks69 Member

If you got images of the moon last night can you post them up???!!!

8. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Unfortunately he can't get photos of the Moon as it is too close...... :D

9. trash

trash Member

Damn Baz and his flash, long distance viewing equipment! I was at work and only saw it at half time. It was not red where I was, just black and white.

10. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

I've actually been away in Queensland and just got back tonight. No telescope up there either, only a cheap DSLR and a wide lens so I have nothing really to contribute. Sorry folks. :(

Baz.

11. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN II's big new telescope starting to prove itself. I still have a few tweaks to make and need to improve my processing, but it's getting really exciting now!

Picture one is my first complete stack from the new telescope. This is one hour and twenty minutes of exposure on NGC253, Sculptor Galaxy.

Distance - 11.4 million light years away.

[​IMG]

This second image is six and a half hours of exposure on NGC 2070 Tarantula Nebula.

Distance - 159,800 light years away.

Apparently if this bright nebula was as close to us as the Orion nebula, it would cast shadows.

[​IMG]

12. ZXR

ZXR Member

Awesome. As someone who has loved seeing pictures of galaxies and space since I was a kid in the 70's, I just wanted to say I'm glad there are people like you out there spending the time and dollars on getting these amazing shots.

I just think about what it would've been like for the first scientists with their massive telescope looking at the very first photo they'd taken like this. When you look at the stars, they're just white dots, but then when you see them like this, with all of the gasses and patterns, it's mind blowing and makes you feel very very small in a very large world.

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

-ZXR

13. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Glad I could share it with you mate.

Baz.

14. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Awesome! So selling all those other toys to upgrade the telescope is paying off! :thumbup::D

15. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

As painful as it was to let go of my entire professional business, studio and all pro photographic gear.... it is still painful. I miss it terribly.

16. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

As one door closes, another one opens. Maybe later you can pick it up again.

17. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

That's the plan. :)

18. brayway

brayway Member

Wow, amazing pics!

19. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Hey Baz,
    Its all part of history making, some people have trouble seeing everyday stuff, you have given many an insight to how small a planet we live on:thumbup:

20. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

TWO CLEAR NIGHTS WITH NO MOON IN A ROW!!! As tired as I am from last night and with a splitting headache from overexposure to the sun on an open tractor all day - I can't pass up the opportunity for such clear and dark skies. Currently shooting M78 in Orion, here's last nights image of the Horsehead nebula, (Barnard 33) in Orion. 20 x five-minute exposures combined for a total of one hour and 40 minutes exposure. At 1500 light years away, this dark nebula blocks out the light with it's concentration of thick, dusty stellar material. Below it, the blue reflection nebula NGC 2023 glows from it's burrowing inner star.

[​IMG]