1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[PROJECT] ASIGN Observatory II is back on track!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Builds By Baz, Jul 14, 2012.

1. trash

trash Member

Thanks for the info on all the hardware that you use. My Skywatcher has an attachment for mounting a digital SLR camera. Obviously not in the same league as you. I am going to start of with this and attempt to task some photos of the moon using the guide that you have on your website.

I only got onto your project not longer after you finished version 1. I have been following this new project from the start. Excellent stuff. It is good to see things from start to finish.

2. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Builds By Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

My pleasure mate. keep at it! Don't overestimate my league.... I have to learn this stuff all over again now that the building is finished. I haven't used the gear or the programs for a couple of years and a lot has changed!

Baz.

3. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

ASIGN Observatory II logo design competition!

I'm getting ready to start capturing and processing deep space astrophotos from the new observatory.

As with my daytime stuff, I'd like to put a logo transparency in the corner of each image to identify my stuff online. Images will be predominately black space with a deep space object centred, so the design will have to be composed of light colours.

Who's up for the challenge of designing one?

How about I sweeten the deal with your choice of one of my images, printed 8x12 inches, signed and mailed out? Perfect for the astronomy enthusiast's desk or mantelpiece!

Send your entry to barry.armstead@grapevine.com.au in JPEG format*. Once I choose a winner, I will post it up on this page and announce the winners name!

*The winner will then be required to provide the image in illustrator or photoshop document transparency.

Design gurus - start your engines!!!

Baz.

4. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

ASIGN Observatory II from around 11 metres off the ground.

[​IMG]

5. Strange1

Strange1 Member

"MA! Dat crazy man be climbin' that tree again!"

6. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

No tree. Keep guessin'! ;)

7. upnat0m

upnat0m Member

pogo stick?

impressive set up ASIGN_baz... truly inspirational thread

8. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

I like that idea! Might have to try it!

Thanks mate.

Baz.

9. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

The flashing arrived today!! Fabricated perfectly to my measurements and diagrams.
    [​IMG]

Installing the weather-proof skirt around the dome.
    [​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

1. Flashing (weather skirt) installed. Peeling the protective plastic off all the sheets now.
    [​IMG]

2. First coat of light-absorbing matt-black paint on the inside.
    [​IMG]

11. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Are you proping your ladder up with a rock held in place with a broom? :lol:

Love the aerial shot. Was it taken from a cherry picker?

12. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

Hi, been enjoying the updates as they come. IS the lower level just a garden shed with an observatory on top or is there a grander purpose for the lower level?

13. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

I was going to do a handstand on my drill and spin, but I thought that would just be showing off..... ;)

Thanks mate. Bottom will be a lounge-room.

14. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

After last Saturday afternoon's severe sideways storm and rain flooding the observatory and everything in it, this week I got the silicone into all the joints and sealed it all up over the last couple of days. Today we had another big thunderstorm which was a great test.

I went inside during the downpour to look for leaks. I found one dripping through on the skirt, which I marked and will plug later when it dries. Also half a dozen other tiny drops which I also marked for sealing later. That should just about do it! The inside of the dome was 99.8% dry after the thunderstorm, so it's looking MUCH better!

15. brayway

brayway Member

Loving it so far!
    I enjoy just doing basic star photography with my DSLR, that whole setup would be awesome!

16. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I echo this. Been crap weather my way so havent been out trying the sky for two months now...

17. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

Yeah, it's commonly known that as soon as someone in your area buys astro-kit, the weather rolls in for around 6 weeks. Call it a, "grace" period where you can read up to full-bottle on all your new stuff..... ;)

Trying to get a free night with no clouds, no moon and no commitments is like trying to squeeze blood from a stone. :(

18. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

So bloody true. Got the new camera and not one night out yet. Work, rain, cloud, work I cant win lol.

19. OP
    OP
    Builds By Baz

This week our friend and family electrician spent some good hours in the observatory with me, planning the lighting, powerpoints and distribution board. The cabling has now all been run, ready to connect all the hardware.

As well, this week I got a lovely $50 donation from a Canberra local, which I was able to spend at Fletcher Insulation in Hume on a few bags to insulate from heat and sound. It is instantly cool in there now and OOOHHHHH SOOOO QUIET!!

Full construction page here.

[​IMG]

20. brayway

brayway Member

Finally nearing completion :D
    Looks great :)