1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Assistance with optical audio output on 4K TV

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by roweysvn, Sep 25, 2016.

1. roweysvn

roweysvn Member

Hey Team

I was recently gifted a new 4K TV, it's fairly low end, but after having a quick look at it, I was under the assumption it should work with my Logitech (don't judge me!) 5.1 surround unit. But after connecting everything I can't get the audio to work.

The TV in question is a Kogan KALED55UHDZF Prior to this I was using a Sony 40" TV connected to a Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker setup via Toslink Optical Audio Cable. The speakers were working fine prior to unplugging from the Sony, so I know it's not that, it just reads as 'No Optical Input" on the Logitech panel

* In the TV manual, it shows the following image for connecting via optical - http://i.imgur.com/QgIlY27.jpg

* The TV has the following jackpoint on the side which corresponds to the diagram (Note: The black jack is for heaphones not optical) - http://i.imgur.com/CAnG56I.jpg

* This is the back of the Logitech control unit, I have been connecting from the Digital Toslink jack, to the yellow jack on the tv in the previos image - http://i.imgur.com/Qi7jLzI.jpg

* The cable I'm using is reversible, you can have one end toslink, and the other looks like it's a 3.5mm jack but with a small opening at the end - http://i.imgur.com/5ddyDff.jpg & http://i.imgur.com/tQJ80Qt.jpg

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong here, the manual seems to indicate I need to run coax as well as a second CVBS cable, then into some kind of adapter, which I am unfamilar with. But looking at the Logitech control panel, I'm not sure this is going to work.

Is my speaker unit no longer compatible with my tv? Could there be another alternative to get things working?

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

That socket on the tv serves dual purposes:

1. digital audio out, and

2: Composite video output.

So you dont need to run a second cvbs (aka composite) cable. Your tv might have come with a y splitter/adaptor that is meant to be used with that socket. Did it?

3. OP
    OP
    roweysvn

roweysvn Member

Thanks for your reply! No splitter/adapter was included with the TV unfortunately.

Would you have a recommendation on what that adapter would look like?

4. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

5. OP
    OP
    roweysvn

roweysvn Member

Appreciate the links to the cable/adapter. Excuse the ignorance, but will this still be able to carry 5.1 audio, or will this just be mono sound now?

6. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

not sure why the confusion - its just digital via coax. You just need to plug your coax into the TV (yellow plug) and then into the coax plug on your logitech.

you probably need to go into the settings of the TV and tell it your using digital out via Coax

you shouldn't need any adaptors or anything like that

7. Ryansta

Ryansta Member

The problem is it doesn't seem like the Coax on the tv is the same connector. Looks more like a 3.5mm jack

8. OP
    OP
    roweysvn

roweysvn Member

9. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

both are 3.5mm - coax and rca are the same size, just a different standard in the actual cable.

What happens when you use the "coax" ends of your toslink cable? In the settings you will need to tell the TV your using digital out (generally anyway)

This seems to be made very complicated - but it shouldn't be?

10. OP
    OP
    roweysvn

roweysvn Member

I used the coax/3.5mm end of the toslink cable on the TV end and no luck with the audio, however it wasn't going into the COAX jack, it was going into the optical port shown in this image - http://i.imgur.com/Qi7jLzI.jpg I checked the settings in the tv and it had SPDIF audio already enabled.

I'll have another look this afternoon when I get home, I wasn't sure it was meant to be this difficult, but it could verywell be a case of user error!

11. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Your cable is SPDIF over optical (3.5mm optical to TOSLINK), your TV appears to output SPDIF over coaxial (so you need 3.5mm to RCA coaxial).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  12. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

yeah, coax to coax needs to be

13. OP
    OP
    roweysvn

roweysvn Member

Definitely appreciate the help guys, I'll look into a 3.5mm coax into RCA coax

14. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

15. nico6

nico6 Member

16. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Nope, SPDIF is a digital standard.

17. neoprint

neoprint Member

Digital yes, however actually getting 5.1 out of a TV for anything other than FTA TV or inbuilt apps can be an entirely different matter. The vast majority I've seen won't pass 5.1 to the coax/optical from HDMI inputs.

18. nico6

nico6 Member

So as long as it connected to a digital coax jack, the 'mono' spec of this cable is irrelevant? Cool!