Astroneer (Finally Released)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Sphinx2000, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Doesn't seem to be a thread about it here, a few people have been following or playing the beta/early access of Astroneer for a few years now, version 1.0 has finally released.
    It's a colourful and fun co-op NMS style game with up to 4 x players - from a small indie-dev team, which has developed in to quite a complex little game.

Available on Steam and Xbox.

https://astroneer.space/

EXPLORE AND RESHAPE DISTANT WORLDS IN ASTRONEER
    A GAME OF AEROSPACE INDUSTRY AND INTERPLANETARY EXPLORATION
    Astroneer is set during the 25th century’s Intergalactic Age of Discovery, where Astroneers explore the frontiers of outer space, risking their lives in harsh environments to unearth rare discoveries and unlock the mysteries of the universe. Players can work together to build custom bases and vehicles and use terrain to create anything they can imagine. A player’s creativity and ingenuity are the key to thriving on exciting planetary adventures!

2. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I was looking at this recently for the kids but was unhappy at paying $40 for what was reportedly an Alpha at the time. Good looking game but I'm not keen on buying 3-4x copies at full price just so the kids and I can play together for limited periods of time.

3. OP
    OP
    Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

20% off right now, for $32.

But, don't let it's bright and cheerful looks deceive you to think this is a simple game for kids, it can get quite complicated and hard to survive with low tech in the first few hours of play, if they are up for it.

You can't breath on any of the planets, so running and maintaining tether lines to your infrastructure is a must to survive. Also there is a lot mining deep underground many levels down and down in the dark where it can be easy to get lost and die.

Tech unlock trees and mat lists is quite complicated, i.e:

[​IMG]

The game also forces you to launch and fly between planets to obtain higher tier elements, but to do that you need to research and build everything you need for the trips - otherwise you won't survive or make it back. So the base infrastructure, power management, vehicles, tools etc to make that happen can be complex and enthralling.

Anyway, I lost 14 hours to this game over the weekend, good to play with friends makes things easier. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    fredhoon likes this.
  4. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

I have a couple hundred hours in the pre-full-version release. It's a lot of fun, especially with a friend. :thumbup:

5. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Bought it, put a few hours with the kids and then far too many myself last night (stupid addictive personality traits).

The tutorial is buggy - everything has to be done in exact order and if a mistake is made it might get stuck. The games itself is solid and a lot of fun. If the kids stay interested I might have to shell out for a few more copies so we can co-op.

Sphinx2000 likes this.
  6. Bourke

Bourke Member

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

I was looking for NMS to be on sale, Astroneer came up on my feed and was $32aud, so gave it a go.
    Done a bit over 30hrs now, and I skipped the Tutorial on purpose...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I spent a good 2hrs one day jus doing suicide runs into caverns jus to see where they go.
    The look on my face when I built a rocket and launched it, that was friggen kool/scary/rewarding.

I've built 4-5 bases and used the Teleport, trying to do an open cut mine type of arrangment, sucks I have no Chemical lab yet or Iron.
    There are still some bugs, nothing breaking jus annoying, like if using Soil Extractor and it runs out of power, into lock up and not restart and have items stuck in it, you can fix it by Packaging and the items fall out.
    The camera sometimes swings 90' degrees in split second, so you are running up a narrow ramp and into swing and you keep running and fall.
    And one bug which made me do a mean face, I picked up a Medium Solar early on, I pressed F while holding it and it vanished into thin air.

It's pretty fun, getting to the Mantle is gonna be hard and it's dark down there.

7. CMH

CMH Member

I just clocked the game single-player.

It's a fun little game which doesn't take itself too seriously.

If anyone wants to play multiplayer let me know, I'm keen to give mp a go, or at least to collect some achievements...