Astrophotography Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by holdennutta, Apr 27, 2019.

1. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

There's gotta be a couple of us kicking about in the forums. I know of at least one other. Might be good for a more southern hemisphere biased place to discuss.

I have only been dabbling for a few months since I got my gear. It's been pretty disgusting weather since so haven't had too many decent sessions. yet.

Current hardware setup is:
    • Skywatcher HEQ-5 Pro mount
    • Skywatcher BD ED100 900mm refractor scope
    • 0.85x field flattener and reducer
    • Piggybacked ZWO 280mm guiding scope
    • ZWO ASI 120mm autoguider camera
    • Literally the cheapest Windows 10 laptop I could find with 64gb hdd to run all the control apps (Acer Spin 11 I think it is)
    Current software:
    • Astrophotography tool
    • PHD2 Autoguiding
    • EQMod
    • Stellarium and StellariumScope
    • Pixinsight for all the processing.
    luBwOM1XRrSUqFkflozCTQ.jpg fdx8VfJ4TaWXFfaz5ND%qg.jpg

I don't really have a decent image to share yet. I've been focusing mainly on Carina Nebula for the time being because it's big and bright. I managed to get about an hours good exposure time one night and then 90min more exposure time a second night but being a noob I forgot to check my field rotation and can't integrate the two sets without losing a fair bit of periphery :(

Please tell us what you have!

2. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Awesome to see you posting!

We have similar setups as you know Holden. I currently have the following:
    • Skywatcher HEQ-5 Pro mount
    • Skywatcher BD ED80 600mm refractor scope
    • Piggybacked ZWO 280mm guiding scope
    • ZWO ASI120MC-S USB3.0 Colour
    • I am currently hoping to use my Surface Pro 3 to run it all, but with only 1 USB port I'm not sure it will work out unless I use a powered hub (reducing portability)
    I had a lot of trouble getting my guide scope focused, but finally managed to get that sorted...just in time to hurt myself at work. With 3 fractures across both arms, I don't have the strength to play and probably wont be able to for another 3 weeks or so. The concussion I caused myself at the same time has definitely addled me, as I have been struggling to sort out the software while I'm incapacitated and struggling more then I should be!

Anyway it would be great to see if anyone else is around, post your location if you are too, might be worth a meetup if anyone is relatively close by!

EDIT: I'm In Liverpool, Sydney

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Damn! That's a terrible thing to happen, mate. I hope you heal quickly!

I was going to PM you and see how you were going but decided I'd just make the thread.

Surface Pro 3 at least has a USB A style port though yeah? Could be worse and you need to use a USB C hub. I wouldn't trust one of them as far as I could throw it in my experience with the ones on my Macbook Pro.

I'm in Oxley, Brisbane.

4. Derfman

Derfman Member

Watching this thread with interest, I might be getting a loan of some gear soon...

5. Derfman

Derfman Member

So i picked up some loan gear from a friend, Celestron CPC 1100 - 11inch Cassegrain, Alt Az fork mounted with goto, but with a wedge, so hoping i can still take decent photos!

So much to learn!

die_piggy and holdennutta like this.
  6. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Hey guys, i'm at 90% health now, and starting to play again. The guide camera is completely useless, and I will be getting a replacement in the m,ail over the next week or so (it was broken as I originally thought)

The wife and I are going for a drive from Sydney down to Mungo National park at the end of the month, so hoping to get my gear sorted by then so I can have a good time in with the dark skies!

7. Derfman

Derfman Member

Good to hear Piggy, let me know how good Mungo is

8. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Any thoughts on a ZWO ASIair ? (https://www.bintel.com.au/product/asiair-asi120mm-mini-kit/?v=6cc98ba2045f ) Looks like its about to get polar aligning, and looks pretty compelling to me!

Only immediate issue for me would be that you would need a ZWO main camera to get the most out of it, although it would solve the issue I have with multiple USB ports on my Surface Pro 3 (Use the SP3 for imaging from my Canon's, control and guide from tablet)...hmm, decisions decisions

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I'm not a fan of proprietary all in one solutions. I much prefer my cheapy laptop I bought for just $299 which will let me run any mix of apps and gear I want.

ASIair is one hell of an expensive raspberry pi.

It's been months since I've managed to get outside and image :( Towards end of summer I was dewing up really early in the evening and it's been rainy/cloudy as lately.

10. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

I hear you on that, but the fact that it IS a pi makes me feel like it's less proprietary.

Shame I can't find an image of the OS somewhere to test it out

11. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Which is one of the problems I have with it.

I think something like windows laptop + indigo when it's in a usable state will be a better fit for controlling the gear from a tablet/phone.

12. Derfman

Derfman Member

Trying to get Stellerium +Stellerium scope up and running at the moment, it is a bit painful, do you need to have an autoguider for it to work properly?

13. DeathRider_au

DeathRider_au Member

Hi All,

I go in and out of my interest and its either because of the weather, or how much free time I have to do it. The struggle is also between wanting to do some visual or photography too! I have only ever imaged from my metro backyard.

My setup is:

Meade LX-90 8" ACF
    0.66 FR
    2" Diagonal
    Losmandy counterweights
    QHY8L CCD
    Canon 40d on piggyback
    Raspberry Pi running iAstroHub (for remote access/control)

Cats Eye
    CatsEye.jpg

I am starting to get the itch again and as the weather warms up I think will be getting back out again.

Derfman likes this.
  14. Derfman

Derfman Member

So with Saturn in opposition last night, did anyone get any good photos?

Im going to have a crack with the webcam soon

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 11:00 AM