1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Astrophotography Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by holdennutta, Apr 27, 2019.

1. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Are you imaging in colour or monochrome? If you aren't really excited by the final image, I would be looking at a program like Sharpcap which does Live stacking and exporting direct from there.

In other news I am hoping to actually use my telescope in the coming weeks, I'm astounded how little time I have had this year!

2. synic

synic Member

Subbed to watch thread. Really interested. Got two Celeston Telescopes and a Canon Adaptor that fits the eyepiece. Problem is, one telescope needs to be Colomated (calibrated to correct focus - and I don't have the expertise to do that right now) and the other telescope I 'haven't had time to set up yet'. Living in Inner Citry BrisVegas and the light pollution around here is pretty bad, can hardly see any stars AT ALL what with street lights, planes and city 'blah blah ad it to the list'.

So, any tips would be appreciated. Keep up the posts peoples.

3. PAiZley

PAiZley Member

Was dreading the first time I collimated my scope. can't say I'm really any good, though the easiest way I found to do it is to:
    - take your scope out at night and point it to a reasonably bright star.
    - put your scope out of focus so it causes a ring shape on the star.
    From here there are 3 screws at the front of your scope that are around the center.
    You want to either tighten or loosen the 3 screws. this will change what you see through the scope.

What you are trying to do is make it so the white ring you are seeing has a white dot bang in the middle.
    If it is slightly off to one side, you probably need to slightly tighten or loosen one screw.
    If you can't get a ring or circles on stars when you put your scope out of focus at all and instead get arrow shapes then your scope is way off in collimation.

I'm possibly really bad at explaining this, there are a few guides to show you how to do it and there are a few different ways, though i found this the easiest way and after I got it right I was able to get much better focus on my C8 edge hd.

4. PAiZley

PAiZley Member

Thought I would share this really useful site.

When I was shopping for eye pieces, I really wasn't sure how big or small planets or other cool stuff would appear through my scope and it made it a little hard to pick what to get.
    There's a Telescope shop in Mitcham, Victoria and one of the staff there showed me a website to use:

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/astronomy-field-view-calculator/

you can put in your scope and any eye piece and select any planet or galaxy and it will show you pretty much the size of what you will see.

Really handy tool, I recommend bookmarking this one if you are new like me.

Deftone2k and die_piggy like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I've managed one night since I got my heater bands and Kendrick DigiFire FX Pro heater control thingo. I also got a refurb Dell Optiplex ultra-small form factor PC to run as the controller computer after the cheapy laptop I bought was way too slow.

But 3/4 the east coast is on fire so no point getting it out.

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

It says the attachment cannot be found.

7. Derfman

Derfman Member

8. Derfman

Derfman Member

9. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Finally!!! I've finally had a chance to get back to doing some imaging! 2.5hrs on Carina Nebula last night and aiming for the same or better tonight. Not an adventurous target but last time I got to use the stuff was in Jan so I'm taking it slow lol.

One thing I've learned tonight is that Sharpcap Polar Align is amazing. I've generally just used drift align on PHD guiding but always found it frustrating and slow. $19.50 tonight and I got a better than my usual alignment in about 1/3 the time. Super excited for less frustrating alignment in future.

Now I just need to relearn how to work Pixinsight.

10. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

I think I told you about sharp cap, right? Glad it working well for you!

I'm other news, my wife got frustrated on setup times and that she couldn't look through my scope...so I picked her up an 8inch dob so she can look through while I'm screwing around in the back yard. Still little to no sky time for me yet though! Hate being an "essential service"

Derfman likes this.
  11. Derfman

Derfman Member

Might be an ok night tonight in Sydney, moon still around though... ill have a crack if the clouds stay away

12. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Possibly. I have seen it in a bunch of places mentioned but I wrote it off for some sort of reasons I can't remember now. Thanks if so.

I got two nights in on Carina over the weekend and ended up with about 5.5hours lights time. Really quiet day today so I snuck in the laptop to do the processing only to forget to bring my bias frames etc so I've just been messing with the bath preprocessing script in Pixinsight.

2020-04-16 (3).png

Not bad at all!!! Night two has an annoying artefact where I think some dew snuck past a dew heater or started forming on the sensor or the filter I have in the camera. Shouldn't be too much work to photoshop out at the end.

With nothing except auto background extraction and some SCNR to take the green out they're looking pretty good!

von Stalhein and die_piggy like this.
  13. Athiril

Athiril Member

Does anyone know why there are no ports of DSS to anything else since it’s open source?

Is there a test set of R,G,B,L (H Alpha) images somewhere already stacked I can try processing?

14. Derfman

Derfman Member

15. mrthong

mrthong Member

not as good as you guys, something sparked astrophotography again and then decided to try it out again one night! Just a typical standard milky way photo! was quite surprised how it turned out.

Might look into getting better lenses if im still into astro after a few months

[​IMG]