ASUS Crosshair III + 965, 9.985s superpi 1M

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Team.AU, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Team.AU

Team.AU Member

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share with you a bit of fun I had with the Crosshair III, the premier AMD board from ASUS. This board is amazing with its northbridge clocking and on the AMD platform that means alot in efficiency not only in 2D benchmarks but 3D ones aswell, gains can be seen across the board.

Platform:
    ASUS Crosshair III
    965 C3 (thanks mate!)
    GSKILL 17600 8-8-8-24
    WD Velicoraptor 300GB
    and thanks vince for the kingpin venom pot..

This run was done at approx 6700mhz on CPU, 4800mhz on the northbridge and 930 6-6-6-18 on the rams. Congrats to gyrock in grabbing the world record and a full 0.001ms faster than my run, well done mate! Not a surprise to me gy is also using the crosshair III.

[​IMG]

This platform is a great deal of fun, obviously now we have gulftown and some of them can run at the same low temperatures as the AMD platform runs at it might make a few people make some choice. Certainly for overclocking on a budget this platform has an amazing value attached to it.

I guess it is also worth showing this 3d01 result, this is dual gtx280s on the hacked sli drivers, again using an ASUS board the ever-capable REX..

[​IMG]

one thing for sure, two things for certain, im still benching, you cant beat me that easy!

2. darth_wolf

darth_wolf Member

ive got the same mobo and cpu, so its nice to see what they can do, once you open them up properly :D

3. bob(nz)

bob(nz) Member

Nice work there James, the new Crosshair is definitely looking good :thumbup:

4. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Oh wow, sub 10sec on an AMD processor is always impressive :shock: Nice work :thumbup:

5. Sundarjee77

Sundarjee77 Member

An e8xxx at 4ishGhz can do this though cant it?

6. OP
    OP
    Team.AU

Team.AU Member

yeah it sure can mate,

but in terms of superpi amd is a long way behind, the is only the second time amd has gone under 10 seconds in superpi

7. Sundarjee77

Sundarjee77 Member

Wow thats pretty damn impressive mate, is there a short answer for why AMDs are so bad at superpi? I assume its their architecture because they seem on par with Intels for gaming etc.

8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Because it's very, very old code, using Legacy functions. It writen in the Era of the pentium 1

Therefore it's of no use for comparing CPU's of a different uarch Today. Being so old, It's extremely inefficent anyway. You certainly wouldn't go about displaying the computing power of any CPU with it, as there's much more modern programs that can compute pi much faster.. esp multi-threaded.

It's only used as a benchmark because it's simple, responds well to RAM tweaking, and has such a legacy. Perfect for fun competition.

Anyway great to see some sub 10s ;p Thanks to the coldbug in later rev's the old K8 never managed to quite break 20s (god knows I tried) I don't think anyone predicted K10 would be breaking into 9's even a couple of yrs ago.