ASUS EeePC Discussion Mk II

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by McbLt, May 30, 2008.

1. McbLt

McbLt Member

Click here for the original thread

Computex 2008 looks like it's where it's going to be! Gizmodo are expecting this to be the launch arena for the Asus EeePC 1000 and 901.

In the meantime, vindicator posted some awsome looking ubuntu versions for your Eee - definitely worth checking out: eeeXubuntu & eeebuntu

There's also been a lot of talk lately about the release of a desktop version and tablet version of the Eee.

2. Scandrew

Scandrew Member

3. N1zmo

N1zmo Member

hmm just wondering, are these laptops capable of running cs 1.6 or warcraft 3?

4. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I've seen people get the eee700 to run WoW so I suspect you could do either of those just fine. Might struggle on some of the more intense War3 maps though.

5. N1zmo

N1zmo Member

hoping it wouldnt struggle with dota =D

6. konholyoh

konholyoh Member

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  7. nrl_bulldogs

nrl_bulldogs Member

I play dota on uni wireless during lectures on my eeepc 701 :lol:

Runs well with it overclocked to 900mhz using eeectl and on 800x480 (640x480 stretched) with all settings on low. Only lags in massive fights. Might be a bit worse with the increased resolution of the 901 though.

Edit: oh forgot to mention I have 2gb ram so that would help.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  8. stedyedy

stedyedy Member

9. TheLobb

TheLobb (Banned or Deleted)

Just so you know, ItEstate has the eeePC for 598 i think. i would buy local.

10. stedyedy

stedyedy Member

lol thanks for that, should always do the static ice first aye

11. stedyedy

stedyedy Member

Wait a seccond, Don't the ones on EBAY have a 20Gb SSD not removeable or antyhing, and the ones from umart and it and stuff are 4gb plus a 16gb card??? i am confused so the ones have built in 16gb card and 4gb sdd and then u can also add a extra SD card ye??

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  12. UB3R

UB3R Member

Awesome! i will get one of these for sure!

13. impact_player

impact_player Member

'Cept they don't. I've been emailing them because I need one for my G/F's parents and they've been saying early next month. Unless something has changed since about wednesday, and I'd be keen to know if that's the case.

14. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

All of them have a 4GB SDD built in and a second SDD (of 8 or 16GB), which I believe is the card.

15. impact_player

impact_player Member

I haz one now. Who wants to see some pictures? :)

Edit: There we go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First impressions
    I like the screen. It's sharp and doesn't seem to have viewing angle problems.
    I don't like the CPU fan. It's intrusive when it cuts in.
    The keyboard is a little more flimsy than I expected, but it's okay.
    It's more than quick enough with XP. It doesn't really feel any different to how I remember my old P4 2.4/1GB Ram desktop system. It's more than fast enough for just ordinary tasks.

...and it is unbelievably small and light.

No names, no pack drill as to where it came from - it took some arguing to get it because they said that they weren't supposed to be selling them yet. And they said it was the only one they had anyway.

The two-finger trackpad scrolling stuff is pretty useful, but I turned clicking off because I don't like 'clicking' with trackpads in general.

It came with the 5800mah battery.

I used it to post the photos above pulled off the digital camera SD card.

16. n00by

n00by Member

OO OO OO I wanna I wanna lol (raises hand like little school kid lol):weirdo:

17. Scandrew

Scandrew Member

Vedi vedi nice.

How are you finding the screen compared to the 701?

18. impact_player

impact_player Member

I used a 701 a few weeks ago briefly in store, and while I thought it was a pretty decent system for what it was, I didn't like the screen because it just didn't show enough on it. The extra width really is good for browsing web pages and stuff.

I think it's a nice screen personally - I've got a 2407WFP to compare it to, and I don't see a massive difference.

Now I've just got to work out what I should do with the eeePC.

....Superpi?

edit: argh I have to go do some stuff. Will post more stuff later, but if people are wanting to know something about it/how it does something, let me know this afternoon and I can try it.

Update: SuperPi 1M = 1m31s109

19. master sneak

master sneak Member

I picked up my Eee 9000 white windows XP 12gb from JB HIFI, they gave it to me for $580.

Here are my thoughts:

1. The new bigger screen is excellent, really makes XP usable on this system.

2. The trackpad is much improved over the old 701, its wider, the buttons are easier to use, it just feels nicer, and it supports multi finger gestures.

3. I have been holding off buying an Eee for some time now waiting for the 900 to come out and I can say I am glad I waited because I love my new piece of tech.

4. I typed this on my Eee without any dramas using the smaller than normal keyboard.

20. SOP

SOP Member

My wife picked one up from Myer Chermside on Saturday. 7 black ones in stock this/next week sometime, the salesperson said.

I had Windows XP crash on the second boot while trying to browse wireless networks which made me laugh.

So far, so good. Has the 5800 battery which seems to last ages, Skype video is reasonably clear and smooth. Keyboard will take some getting used to, the keys are tiny and are in what seems to be different places to each keyboard I am used to. Time will tell.

Recommended.