ASUS EeePC Discussion Mk II

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by McbLt, May 30, 2008.

1. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Grab them from the Asus website. They're all there.

2. Formage

Formage (Banned or Deleted)

just went out and picked myself up 2gb of ram and a 8gb SDHC :) loving this thing right now :thumbup::thumbup:

as for installing via SD i used this guide http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/installing-windows-xp-from-usb-thumb.html but replaced the usb with a card reader (then just poped it in and off i went)

also with the 701 webcam i check in the manage devices panel and theirs no unknown devices :S i don't know how i can test if its working :S

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  3. Seeker

Seeker Member

It may be disabled in the bios, go and have a look

4. sanjay

sanjay Member

after a couple more days with the eeePC 1000H:

im ready to throw my ibook g4 out! (5 hours battery life, 2 inch screen) - i can type at near full speed on this keyboard, its the perfect size for a netbook. as is the screen...marginally higher res would have been nice but by no means required.

the wireless range is as good as it was on my old 701 and it feels like it has been built fantastically.

the 6 cell battery is showing 5 hours, but im yet to use it for a full charge. tuesday is a 4 hour uni day, so we'll see how it fares. :D

im glad i got white and not black in hindsight, as i know the black would show up fingerprints like dogs balls, and i couldnt live with that. :(

5. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

yo, my 901 has been running great since you gave me those tweaks... :thumbup:

Interestingly though, the Juniper Network Connect VPN/SSL software used at UTS to login to the Wireless Network kept crashing...

After MUCH frustration and searching... I found out that the program doesn't like/can't deal with a /tmp not mounted in the same location as the root filesystem! WTF! (I was running it in RAM using tmpfs like you showed me)...

After disabling/commenting out the tmpfs mounts from my fstab, the program worked fine...

POS software :thumbdn:

6. Seeker

Seeker Member

7. Formage

i know the feeling, it support in building 10 told me that linux isn't supported and to not bother, something about 802.11 encryption, i just gave in and poped xp on it :) good to see a fellow uts'er.... NOW! back to my e-commerce lecture :p :D

8. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

They're just lazy and don't want to bother supporting linux.

It's easy to get working once you know how.

If you installed Ubuntu and didn't muck around with mounting stuff in crazy locations (i.e. non default) - then it works fine using the below steps.

All you do is install JRE, JDK and Java Plugin...

Then at UTS, connect to the Wireless LAN, run Firefox... go to a website... wait for the login screen to come up - put in your login details - wait for the network connect client to load and pop up an xterm window... press CTRL+D or enter or enter then y... wait a few seconds... Network Connect will pop up and should connect.

You can then browse the net in whatever browser/app you want :thumbup:

I should email them that written up properly with screenshots, and a note about the /tmp location thing... they should put it on their page for linux "unofficial" support :p

9. Seeker

Seeker Member

Question for the 1000H users-

Does the screen look grainy-ish like the EEEPC 701? If you have ever used one of these.

Also, is there a 1000H model you can get that has the SSD instead of the 80Gb mechanical hard drive? I heard the early models had the mechanical hard drives and after seeing this, I wanted to know if they made one with an SSD.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/eee-pc-1000h-faster-with-ssd-upgrade

I just bought the 701 and my parents want to nick it, perfect reason to get a 1000H.

Cheers

edit; did a bit more researching and found theres a "1000" without the 80Gb drive. Any differences CPU/Memory wise? ie, one has a bigger mechanical hard drive and the other has a smaller SSD?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  10. sanjay

sanjay Member

the eeepc 1000 has a 40gb (!) SSD, and is not available in australia as far as im aware.

the screen on my 1000H is just fine and dandy :)

11. Rexy

Rexy Member

The 1000H does not have the slightly "grainy" screen like the 701. It is a marked improvement in clarity and brightness. Side by side the 1000H really shines.

12. chicken-

chicken- Member

I picked up a black 40gb 1000 in hong kong for AU$680. It actually has two SSDs, a high speed 8gb one on the mainboard for the OS and a slightly slower removable 32gb one in the HDD bay for storage, it also comes with a voucher for 20gb of free online storage. Boots XP SP3 amazingly fast even with the stock 1gb of ram, im impressed so far having only managed a couple of days use out of it.

13. ozgamer

ozgamer Member

Bout time they had a bigger primary partition. 4gb is too small.

14. aurotaro

aurotaro Member

has the 901 arrived in here yet ?

15. T0fu

T0fu Member

how fast is fast ? im very interested cos with netbooks HDD speed probably helps open apps quicker than processor and ram

16. Seeker

Seeker Member

[​IMG]

17. chicken-

chicken- Member

With the stock SSD, and no optimizations (i.e. all services and startup apps enabled) boot timer clocks my 1000 at 28.5 seconds.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  18. Formage

hey guys, upgraded my 701's bios to the one that allows for bios overclocking (max performance mode etc.) now the settings are on the STOCK options aka. not overclocked, yet the fan seems to ROAR now, being audiable all the time, any idea as to what i should do? cheers..

19. BlaYde

BlaYde Member

Just a quick question guys; Can the 1000H have the 80g HDD removed and replaced with an SSD? If so, which one would you recommend?

20. Formage

hey guys, downgraded the firmware and were back to silent bliss :thumbup::thumbup: