ASUS Launches Xonar DX PCI Express x1 7.1 + Driver support for EAX 5.0

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 29, 2008.

1. l.lai

l.lai Member

I'm struggling to comprehend why there are hardly any options for a good gaming sound card aside from Creative.

Sure there's plenty of options for music and general sound, but for good gaming etc, why are our options so limited? Why are manufacturers not jumping on board and making competing against Creative?

After my nightmare with my x-fi XtremeGamer, i'm looking for an option, but im not sure if the Xonar is a good option to go with as it only supports EAX 2.0 (although according to you guys the new driver supports 5.0, but is this confirmed?).

(For the Xonar D2/PM card i mean)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  2. Neonkore

Neonkore Member

Thanks for your question. I use 8 channels in the xonar control panal with gx enabled. I've tried with it disabled also. I've set the vista sound manager to 5.1, i've also tried it with 7.1 settings. It's seriously just this game that won't output 5.1 for me!

p.s. congrats on 1500 posts

3. karnage112

karnage112 Member

Anyone notice MSY have this on their list for $105?

Its a very good price IMO, hmmm but i really cbf making my way all the way to their store. Open your chipping norton store already!! Its been listed as renovating for like 5 months already.

4. flagger

flagger Member

not so sure then, sounds like you have done what I would have done. I suggest lodging a support ticket, or signing up on the asus forum and asking why this happens. (forum doesn't do official support though).

5. Neonkore

Neonkore Member

Hmmm looks like I may have to do that then. On another note, when I power on the computer, the xonar makes a few clicking sounds, it's done it when drivers were being installed too and it has done it when movies have been played. Is this normal, or have I scored a dud?

6. flagger

flagger Member

mine does this too. happens if you disable/enable in the device manager as well. I'm guessing its a relay on the card. My amp does clicks n stuff too (like plugging in a headphone) just like the card does, so its pretty normal for me.

7. Neonkore

Neonkore Member

Good to know, thanks.

8. Laggy7

Laggy7 Member

perhaps there is a way to get the 128 sound setup on bf2, like enable it in the console or in the start up cmd line.

9. Joehax

Joehax Member

So would this card allow me to get surround sound in BF2/2142 when running Vista?

Trying to find a cheap card that has proper OpenAL, and I'd rather avoid Creative if possible..

10. tezwez

tezwez Member

Is anyone using the DX with a GA-EP35-DS3?

My video card cooler wont let one fit in the bottom slots, and the ram looks like it will be in the way for the top slot. I would need to bend the end of the card down ~5mm to clear the ram locking tab.

Will this be ok?

11. Capn_Cal

Capn_Cal Member

Question for those in the know...

Can you assign the outputs on the DX?

What I use on my current motherboard setup is 3 separate stereo outputs (2 straight speakers, headphones, mixing desk monitor) and one mic input (from the mixing desk). It's very easy to do because the motherboard sound detects a plug going in and lets you assign that output to do whatever you like.

Can this be done on the DX? Or does every output have a specific function that is no good if you're not using 7.1 or what have you? (I seem to recall owning a sound card with outputs for front, centre and rear, and the centre and rear did precisely nothing in normal stereo mode).

If anyone can answer that for me, it'd be much appreciated.

12. flagger

flagger Member

No, not as far as I can see anyway.

13. Capn_Cal

Capn_Cal Member

Arg! That's annoying. How are they set up, bees?

Provided they don't fight, I suppose I could always keep the motherboard audio running and have the speakers and mixer monitor run from that, and the mic and headphones from the DX.

The perils of not having an amp...

14. stablez

stablez Member

A Sound card would be nice even a no x fi with cmss 3d surround and crystaliser would show up nice sound effects and clear quality on yur z5500
    The Creative Extreme audio has a problem with just quiting mid song play so dont go there. But you will use to the full potential with a decent sound card.:)

15. karl_eller

karl_eller Member

My Xonar DX just got here today from Jantech, who were very fast. Ordered on Monday and paid via BPay, processed and shipped on Tuesday, and got here this morning.

Won't get a chance to plug it in until I get back from uni today, though.

Eller

16. Deadly Dude

Deadly Dude Member

I just installed one of these today, i must say i can hear a bit of difference over what my old x-fi could produce music wise and costs less. win win

17. karl_eller

karl_eller Member

Yeah, I went from the Supreme FX II that came with my P5E (A SoundMAX chip) to the Xonar DX, and the difference was quite noticeable. And then when I turned on Dolby Headphones, it's like my ears orgasmed. Now I need to spend the cash on getting a real headset...

Eller

18. Kaine[zof]

Kaine[zof] Member

very do-able. right now i'm running 2 sound cards + onboard and they don't conflict at all.(except when i have the i/o settings wrong) you just need to be running programs where you can select the input/output sources.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  19. stevo4

stevo4 Member

Amusing how ASUS are offerring a high end motherboard using a Creative X-Fi
    processor for sound and not a Xonar DX based solution.

http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=11707

20. jarnex

jarnex Member

Good isn't it.

ASUS is smashing the mid range sound market with the Xonar and Creative need to do some OEM deals to offset their declining share in the discrete sound card market.

As they say, beggars can't be choosers.