ASUS Launches Xonar DX PCI Express x1 7.1 + Driver support for EAX 5.0

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Borgod

Borgod Member

Xfi craps all over onboard, and D2X shits over Xfi

Do it, you won't regret it.

2. pugrot

pugrot Member

Just a quick heads up, Zonar DX can be had for $48.50 + postage, not sure why it is this cheap but I bought one on Monday from of one of the shopbot stores, it arrived Wednesday and I spent last night playing Crysis and CoD 4.

It sounds real good through the z5500s and also headphones connected up to front panel, dolby headphone makes a real difference listening to tunes as well.

http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-asus-xonar-dx-price-107204.html

3. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Woops.. i just bought one as well... $62 delivered.. who am i to say no? i don't even have a use for it.. really!

4. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

THANK-YOU! For this information, but it only half works for me. I can get UT3 to run easily by using the -nosound launch option, but obviously that disabled the whole audio system.

I did get it working without the -nosound switch, but that was with OpenAL completely uninstalled.

I have Driver Cleaned, registry searched, file and folder searched and destroyed everything to do with SoundMAX. I fear I am going to have to completely reinstall my entire operating system.

THANKS, FUCKHEAD DRIVER VENDORS. YOU WRITE FUCKING SHIT SOFTWARE THAT CAN'T EVEN UNINSTALL ITSELF. MICROSOFT, YOU PROBABLY HAVE SOME BLAME TO SHARE. FUCK YOU TOO!

5. fnwtmp

fnwtmp Member

Hi there!

New to the forums.

Anyhow, I'm contemplating getting a DX for my system. However, due to the huge ass fan on my 8800GT, both PCI-E ports below the card are blocked off (GA P35 DS3R)

There is however, a spare PCI-e port above the 8800gt. Very squishy. Just above that is a pretty big coppery thing coming out of the mobo that looks like a heatsink.

Do I need to worry about radiant heat issues with the heatsink and 8800gt?

I'd prefer to get a D1, but they don't seem to be available in Aus...

6. Xenix

Xenix Member

To those who used to have an Asus board with SoundMax or one of the Asus addon "sound cards" (SurpremeFX) and are having trouble with some games in regards to the X-Fi sound card try this...

The cause was my ASUS motherboard; more specifically, the Soundmax drivers for the ASUS SupremeFX card. Apparently the Soundmax driver software that comes from ASUS for its modern motherboards (including my Maximus Formula) leave a file on your system that conflict with Open AL-based games (ie-those based on Unreal 3 engine as an example) and render them completely unplayable to the point they will utterly not load. In fairness, this is not Creative's fault, but I would hazard a guess that they've heard about this since ASUS motherboards are very popular and this can potentially affect ALL of them. It's a bit disconcerting that this problem is not more widely known.

For the record, the delinquent file in question is: \windows\system32\adi_oal.dll. If you have an ASUS motherboard and have uninstalled Soundmax, just delete that file and all will be well again.

7. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

8. Xenix

Xenix Member

9. pugrot

pugrot Member

Pretty much same set up as me, P35C DS3R with a midly overclocked 8800 GTS 512, have had the DX installed above the video card for a while with no issues, I thought there might be interference from the video card being so close but haven't been able to hear anything. I also have room under the video card to put the DX but it blocks the airflow just a wee bit.

One thing that bothers me with this card is I have to physically changeover the front output cable between headphone / front speakers, as I can't configure the outout ports in the software, anyone got a work around for this? I've tried using front panel out but get heaps of noise from the hard drive.

10. willz

willz Member

Hi,

Just a quick question, does this card support digital out over coaxial?

Thanks,

Will

11. stevo4

stevo4 Member

No.
    The SPDIF output on the card is optical.
    A combo TOSLink (optical)/3.5mm stereo jack.

12. ihavesoldout

ihavesoldout Member

I'm looking at the Xonar STX + Audioengine A5s and a pair of MS-1's as I mainly listen to music.

Or would it be better to get the D2X?

13. flagger

flagger Member

Just installed Windows 7 64bit, and had major dramas with the win 7 beta (and vista) drivers. After installing the audio centre, I could not open 32 bit apps (I.e. ATi catalyst driver installer, 32 bit Internet Explorer). Turns out the installer for the xonar loads the 32bit and 64bit version of HsMgr.exe on startup. to fix this, just run msconfig, and untick the 32bit version and you should be good to go :)

14. KillerBunny

KillerBunny Member

That works, but disables game audio acceleration or something. It is a massive bug, but the vista x64 patch on the download page fixes it. What a stupid bug though I tore my hair out for a day trying to work that one out thinking I had a hardware error.

15. flagger

flagger Member

Ahhhh, was wondering why I was losing 7-8fps more in iRacing than I did on vista32. Using the win7 beta driver + the vista 64 patch and have both hsmgr.exe's running now. All good, thankyou! :D

16. KillerBunny

KillerBunny Member

What a huge bug LOL

17. Deity

Deity Member

Driver updates frequent?

I'm looking to pick up a Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E this weekend to replace my PCI bGears b-Enspirer as my motherboard no longer has any free PCI slots. Anyways, this is more of a side-grade rather than an upgrade. There are no specs on the bGears site, but the following review indicates that the b-Enspirer is specified as follows:

The Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E has the following specs:

Judging from the review at Hardware Canucks, the Xonar appears to be of slightly lesser quality on the analog components. Which is a bit surprising, but then I paid more for my bGears card at the time. Downgrade more than side-grade? :p

Anyways, I'm happy to accept the above if someone can answer me this: are ASUS driver updates frequent? Ever since ASUS signed the deal to buy-up all CMI8788 DSPs, driver updates for my card have dried up. A bit annoying but perhaps it's for the best, since I'd imagine that this brilliant little DSP would've gone unnoticed by the masses if not for ASUS' clout.

18. Munki

Munki Member

20/03/2009 was the last date they released a driver (beta). They released a patch on 16/06/2009...So they're better than Creative, I guess. Not too flash though.

19. Deity

Deity Member

16/06/2009 is not too bad. Looking at the driver downloads page at the ASUS website, there's one every quarter or so.

There's a driver release once every year for my b-Enspirer. :tired: Guess that's to be expected, they're supporting a product that they can no-longer sell due to ASUS.

20. Deity

Deity Member

Picked up a Xonar DX 7.1 today! :D

I haven't tested it with any music at this point, but I'm pretty happy anyways as I can now use the front panel connectors for the first time! :lol: I can't imagine it being any worse than my bGears b-Enspirer.