ASUS Launches Xonar DX PCI Express x1 7.1 + Driver support for EAX 5.0

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 29, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

I guess they are pissed they can't get EAX 5.0 to work with vista without the need for a seperate program or a cost to the consumer if you dont have a X-fi audio card.

Honestly i have nfi what they are doing.

2. Idryss

Idryss Member

If its reporting to the game that it supports it then in a way it supports it as the game wouldnt know any different IMO. So long as the hardware is capable of doing more than 64 voices, no issue. I bet creative are just pissed that they cannot create something that looks as cool as, and performs as good as under vista, as the Xonar.

3. Borgod

Borgod Member

When I first got Vista I played several games with my xfi and the sound quality was still magnificent... somehow it sounded even better than in XP.

I'm tempted to give this Xonar D2X a shot since Im going to give-up on dual booting and have a Vista-only system soon, and i want a PCI-E card.

Would be nice if they were under $200 but.

4. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

didnt the xonar series cards have shielding that covered the entire face and rear of the card?

5. Borgod

Borgod Member

Not sure about the rear of the card, front yes

6. PeppeX

PeppeX Member

Is PCI-E better than PCI when it comes to soundcards?

7. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

This is an interesting article..

Asus and Creative going to war over sound

Fremont (CA) – CPU wars, graphics wars and now we also have sound wars. Despite the fact that audio features in modern PCs have become a commodity and have received little attention in recent years, the move to high-definition is now increasing the rivalry between sound card makers. Creative sent an email to several websites accusing Asus of misleading users by not supporting environmental audio extensions (EAX) – which have been used by Creative since 2001. As you might imagine, Asus has a different opinion.

It is the first time, at least as far as we can recall, that Creative is directly attacking Asus, interestingly just as the Xonar D2 and D2X cards are gaining market traction. The company is clearly upset that Asus is converting modern EAX APIs, including EAX 3, 4 and 5.

In an email apparently sent to several websites, the company wrote:

So, is Creative right? We asked Asus for their view. Eric L. Chen from Asus got back to us with following statement:

More Here: http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36670/118/

So in simple terms, Asus are using their software to make games think that there is EAX 5.0 hardware in the system let it just uses the CPU to do the processing instead of the soundcard (like the creative X-fi).

With todays fast processors, the cpu overheads are reasonable and asus allow the use of eax on vista without no Alchemy crap or compatibility issues with creative have had in vista.

"Asus will contine responding to customer requests" yay, thats what i like to hear :D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  8. Borgod

Borgod Member

Here's a request: Stop ripping us off with motherboards!!! :mad:

OT, Good on Asus for sticking it up Creative. No-one likes a monopoly, and Asus are taking a bit of a gamble but I think they're quite correct. Current CPU power makes the overheads negligible.

All we needs is mature drivers, a sub-$200 price and they're certain to gain much more market share.

9. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

We at least I haven’t seen ASUS make like 5 revisions of the same model motherboard and then give users that have the "latest revision" extra features and older ones aren’t compatible though it the same model just a different revision. eg. Gigabyte motherboards..

That alone has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Can't win them all i guess...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  10. chinkiwinki

chinkiwinki Member

nope. not at this time anyways.

11. Borgod

Borgod Member

Evidence/links/references plz ?

12. jarnex

jarnex Member

As predicted many moons ago, dual core and quad core CPU's will render Creative's discrete sound card business obsolete.

Knowing Creative, their next step will be an API war ie. for games "certified for EAX 5 and X-Fi", they will make it a requirement that the games check the PCI ID of the audio device before enabling EAX sound effects.

13. Idryss

Idryss Member

Thats one way they could go. But then I'm sure there would be another work around, and now that Asus have shown one the community at large will likely take that as a challenge. Creative change how games have to check, community changes how they 'hack' (for lack of a better term) that so it works.

14. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

Interesting to see what happens here. I have also updated the wiki with this info.

15. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

It'll be interesting to see where this pans out. Software eax solution if it doesn't have a bad enough hit, will kill the xfi line essentially...

16. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

Don't expect much more that Creative's already spreaded fud on why they haven't made a real pci-e xfi.

I think I'll hold off on my soundcard purchase till some of this blows over a bit.

17. PeppeX

PeppeX Member

I got a x-fi fatal1ty and thinking if it is worth upgrading to prelude or the xonar. But some say PCI-E have better sound quality than PCI. So i probably hold off until more stuff comes out

18. TOFUGil

TOFUGil Member

Good to hear abt time someone stick it to Creative..hopefully this will give them a wake up call.

19. stevo4

stevo4 Member

I keep reading ppl saying the opposite.

I'm at yet to verify things one way or another.

Do you have anything to backup what's being said?

20. PeppeX

PeppeX Member

No i am just saying that is what i have heard and read on different forums, i really got no idea lol :p.