1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Asus Monitor Question

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Burgerknife, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Burgerknife

Burgerknife New Member

Not sure where to post this but, i have a 22" Asus VW222U, its a great monitor but i really want HDMI input and 1080P support. I saw the Asus 24" VW246H and I just wanted to know if there would be any difference in colour and brightness compared to the one i have now.

I only ask cause i read some where that they reduce colours in higher res monitors to bring the refresh rate down.

Thx

2. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I suspect that what you heard was in relation to different LCD technologies. Most of the really big screens (30" and 27") use IPS or PVA panels, which generally offer 24-bit colour (16.7 million real colours). Smaller and cheaper screens tend to use TN panels, which are almost always 18-bit (262,144 colours) with dithering to make that look like 16.7 million.

TN has the advantage that it's very fast and very cheap. However, it doesn't offer particularly good colour reproduction or viewing angles. As any given monitor size becomes more common (not restricted to graphics design people who are really picky about colour) manufacturers will start uisng TN screens to save money and get faster response times (because that's what a lot of consumers look for).

If you went from an IPS or PVA panel to a TN one, you may well notice worse colours. In your case this is largely irrelevant, because your current monitor is a TN one. I'm 99% sure that the VW246H is too (not many 24" panels are still using IPS or PVA) so you shouldn't notice any change at all.

3. OP
    OP
    Burgerknife

Burgerknife New Member

Thanks very much for the information.

4. g0bbles

g0bbles Member

How do you identify what your buying is TN or whether it is the alternative? I am interested in a new upgrade, but would ike 24inch with Good Colour replication? Any help??