ASUS MX38VQ: 3840x1600 37.5"

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by awnm, Jan 13, 2017.

1. awnm

awnm Member

fredhoon likes this.
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Certainly good in the looks department.

3. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Another new item to drop into the option basket for a new monitor.

Should it be a 3440x1440 21:9 100Hz Acer Predator where arguably the 100Hz refresh niceness of a monitor where it comes to gaming for buttery smooth motion graphics would be alluringly lustful.

Or 3840x1600 21:10 60Hz of acreage with a niceity of Qi charging. I already game on a 60Hz panel so there's not going to be any significant viewable change in refresh but this the panel would replace 2x monitors. Horizontal pixels remain the same, vertical pixels increases by 400 and there's a loss of bezel in the middle.

What other factors should I be looking into for consideration for a new monitor?

4. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

If you can handle 60hz stick to 60hz it becomes expensive holding higher framerate and it's impossible in some games (60fps caps or poor optimisation) and then you may end up avoiding some games that aren't as buttery smooth as those that do hit the 100fps.

5. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Yeah, that's mostly my line of thought as well with this.

Given the fact that I've not experienced 100Hz, I'll not detect any difference in experience going from a 60Hz panel to a 60Hz panel.

There however will be a difference in visual usability within real estate. A single monitor with the same number of horizontal pixels will look a lot nicer in presentation than the current two monitor setup I have.

It also means not necessarily a bigger stress on the GTX980 card and trying to keep up with the horsepower race.

6. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Coming from an HD 60hz to a 100hz X34 i couldnt go back.

Anything lower than around 80fps is noticeable to me now.

That monitor is goddamn nice though, however the resolution is higher so dont expect to be gaming at 60fps on anything lower than a GTX1080

7. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Then for me, it's not of a great concern. I'm going to continue at 60Hz refresh rate and I normally play in a window to allow for easy access to other applications while on screen.

Children... pause and window switch FTW.

Plus this thing would be cheaper than the X34 Acer.

8. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Wouldnt bet on it being cheaper.

The RRP in the US is $999 i think.

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Well why didn't you stay at 1024x768 so your expectations are even lower?

I really don't understand the logic here, higher frequency monitors are beneficial in the majority of things you do.

The only time it doesn't apply is if you only play the very latest games in maximum graphics and nothing else. There is a huge benefit in windows.

10. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Logic is this:
    I recognise that my financial circumstances when compared to when I was young no longer allows for expensive and regular purchases of computer equipment. I now keep things until they break or there's something I really want to achieve in terms of making a change.

It's quite simple. 100Hz requiress a continuous stream of upgrading of video cards in order to keep up with the newer games.

11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

sure does, now some people are less bothered by the occasional crappy performing game but some people like me it annoys (as everyone here knows)

If you see 60fps @ 60hz and think wow thats nice and smooth.. Stick to it!

I am tempted to downgrade my 2k 144hz to a 1k 144hz so my 1070 lasts a lot longer, or even sell 1070 and get a 1080 for a double boost.. just less crisp image.

If you do venture into 100hz+ make sure you get a Freesync/G-Sync monitor it makes it much nicer to deal with FPS dips.

12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You could also say "games require a continuous stream of upgrading video cards in order to enjoy the latest graphics and highest downsampling"

If you have a 240hz monitor but only use 60hz in most games, you still get that amazing benefit in windows and the games you can run above 60hz... so whats the issue?

Its worth it for windows alone...

13. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

You could say that.

You however don't know my game purchase profile and type of games which I play. You also don't know that my current GTX980 is a second hand unit purchased to replace a GTX570 which previously replaced a GTX270. These cards are sitting on a i7-2600 platform.

I would be buying the new Phillips 40" unit because it's only just being released but I'm not because I want an IPS screen, not a VA one.

Don't get me wrong - I love technology and where our technology is delivering for us. I just have understanding of the reality of my situation and what compromises I'm willing to accept in order to get more toward the style, suit, sit, look and feel that I want to be in.

I'd like an Acer Predator X34... however this Asus is bigger in screen real estate and it's got a nice Qi charger for my phone at the base. These are both big draws for me.

14. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Before you disregard the X34 (or any other 34" UW) take a look at them.

I couldnt imagine a bigger screen than my X34, its the perfect size for my viewing distance. Anything bigger would be a PITA to look at.

Its a shame you cant just go look at the X34 in a show room, as next to no places actually have them to look at IRL. Luckily one of my work mates had one and was kind enough to give me a look at his.

15. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Seen it. :)
    Hardley Normals. I even have a photo of my kid, arms out-stretched in front of it so I can retain reference in terms of size with the screen.

In particular to my situation right now, the arms race to get and maintain a high resolution and high refresh rate I think is something I'm going to find difficult to enter and maintain. Just like you never see any difference in your TV's start-up time, colour clarity and quality unless you have another screen right next to it to compare against, it's going to be the same for me with a comparison between 60Hz and 100Hz. To power a 24:10 screen at 60Hz needs less power than a 24:9 at 100Hz.

Plus I like the Qi charger base. :p

16. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

LOL Qi chargers cost $30 :lol:

17. toolsncorpses

toolsncorpses Member

Yeah G-SYNC is really good at dealing with FPS dips. No loss of input or input lag just a slightly strange but wholly bearable visual distortion as the frames/Hz change a bit abruptly.

18. Brontarr

Brontarr Member

19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

That doesnt sound like G-Sync at all lol.

It removes stutter associated with FPS and refresh rate being out of Sync.

never heard of anyone seeing a visual distortion as hz change abruptly.