Asus P3V4X question

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by StOo_Burger, Aug 16, 2001.

1. StOo_Burger

StOo_Burger Ex-Admin

I have one of these boards with an abit slotket on it... i can't overclock at all... would it help if i replaced the abit slotket with an asus one?

2. OP
    OP
    StOo_Burger

StOo_Burger Ex-Admin

r the jumpers on the mobo?

edit: ok, i just looked it up... i might try it later on tonight... but umm... i have no eye deer of what to do about the agp multiplier thing... someone help me plz?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2001
  3. OP
    OP
    StOo_Burger

StOo_Burger Ex-Admin

it says the agp bus frequency is set on 2/3 of the dram frequency as standard... do i leave it as it is?

also if i do, do i set it to 2/3 or leave it as default/auto mode?

and i don't have to touch anything on the slotket right? cuz i dun have a booklet or anything for that...

4. OP
    OP
    StOo_Burger

StOo_Burger Ex-Admin

ok thanks... i might go try it now...

5. OP
    OP
    StOo_Burger

StOo_Burger Ex-Admin

6.5 x 100 @ 1.65v seems to run fine at 6.5 x 133 @ 1.70v. i found all the settings for voltage on the back of my slotket [yay :D]

agp frequency bus set on auto, and my corsair pc133 cas3 ram is running on cas2... if this runs stable, i'm a happy man... well happier :D

thanks for the help bam... i really appreciate it

6. OP
    OP
    StOo_Burger

StOo_Burger Ex-Admin

umm... 45 - 50 degrees under full load for a p3 isn't that bad is it?

7. h2k

h2k Member

I think that's because the p3v4x reads temperatures incorrectly. But if it's true, then i would think that it's bad.

8. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Thats what my P3667 and 1ghz/133 ran at. remember old forum posts re cpu fan power takeoff run at 10v instead of 12v. I did notice that the same fan now on my TUA266 runs at 550rpm more and cpu is cool at full load.
    tony

9. OP
    OP
    StOo_Burger

StOo_Burger Ex-Admin

does that mean it's not that bad? it's only got a gorb on it... my case is pretty restrictive tho, like the psu is very close to the slocket, so i dunno if i could fit other coolers in there...

i'll go have a look at the temp in the bios

10. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

The cpu will take 90C so 50C at full load if the temp is correct should be no problem. I ran the 667 and 1ghz for a year without issue.
    Idle was 15C lower with 2 case fans.
    Tony

11. OP
    OP
    StOo_Burger

StOo_Burger Ex-Admin

the bios seems to think the chip is about a few degs hotter than asus probe sayz ie. sayz it's 37 in the bios. asus probe sayz it's like 27 - 29 idle, which would suggest that the chip actually runz at 55 - 60 under full load, instead of 45 - 50. i think this may be a tad too hot, so i was thinkin of gettin a fop32 to cool it, provided it will fit on my asus slotket...

any suggestions on if i should get a new cooler? and if the fop32 is a good option? the reason y i don't get a fop38 is cause i dun really want a delta, and also... i need a small footprint with a slotket... one other thing... it can't be too tall, or too wide, as my ram is in the first slot, and my psu is nearly touching the top of the gorb as it is...

i know that this has gone way off the intended topic, but at least i'm not makin new threads everywhere...

12. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Golden orbs fit it and I hear will keep slot 1 free. I ran at 55C at full load there was no problem at all. Except for 90C spikes that went away when I got an asus adapter.

I think probe does some software control method on the fan that may cause the slight difference in temps wrt bios. Have you tried motherboard monitor yet?. Do not run both at once.

Is the hs greased with artic silver that bumps 2C or so off readings wrt thermal pads.

link to MB in a reply thread i"where can i download latest via hw" in this forum
    Tony

13. OP
    OP
    StOo_Burger

StOo_Burger Ex-Admin

umm... sorry i wasn't clearer in my previous thread but i am currently running a golden orb on my processor...

if u say there is no problem, then i might leave it... i don't really play any games anyway... just some pong game, and heroes of might and magic 3...

i have some type of thermal paste on the cpu... not as good as artic silver, but i think it's good enough...

i have also tried motherboard monitor a while back... it gave me the same temps that asus probe was giving me, so i just stuck to asus probe, as it is kinda endorsed by the manufacturer...

i might look at getting a fop32 later... as i don't really have the money right now... thanks for the help tony... btw, that macase psu is still goin strong :)

14. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Member

Ok did not realise u were a client of sorts. Macase a good brand.

Cy