Asus Padfone - Finally out?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by ikonz0r, Apr 24, 2012.

1. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

Couldnt see any other threads on this.
    It appears the padfone is available in Taiwan now.. Theres a couple of things on ebay.

Who's gonna order one? I sure as hell am, just not sure where from yet :leet:

GSM arena specs:

[​IMG]
    http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_padfone-3965.php

Reviews/previews:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...e-phones/hands-on-asus-padfone-review-1066750
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Asus-Padfone-Hands-on-Review_id27415
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Gallery/295994,hands-on-with-the-asus-padfone.aspx

Official Site: http://www.asus.com/Mobile/PadFone/

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  2. anark1

anark1 Member

i am, the mrs has been waiting for one since i showed her a while back,.

3. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

I reckon this is an awesome idea . Definitely interested if the price is right . Surely this thing will have some competition ? . That's the only way prices will be reasonable , otherwise it's Apple pricing .
    The keyboard looks a lot like the transformer keyboard ... .It would be great if they were interchangeable .

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  4. reags

reags Member

I'm still in awe (shock) that they called it a 'Padfone'.

5. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Hmm, very interesting...

Actually, now I've read some other links... it's frigging perfect idea, pretty much 3 devices in one for multiple situations.

Also, who instantly thought of "putting the cassette in" when watching the phone get loaded? :D

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  6. sanjay

sanjay Member

i posted this on whirlpool, and im going to quote myself here for posterity.

7. andydev

andydev Member

8. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Well then it's not for you then. Obviously there are people out there who would find it useful, otherwise it wouldn't have been created.

I think it'd be quite useful... sometimes I'd want tablet-size, sometimes I'd just want to take the phone. I'd also only need ONE account/data plan.

Sure, if I could add one thing it'd be USB monitor support for Windows etc but that'd only be a sweetener.

9. sanjay

sanjay Member

so what happens when you want to use your phone but someone else wants to use your tablet? i honestly cant see the point of this...in much the same way that the atrix lapdock concept was a complete flop (when you could just have a separate, independent netbook and a smartphone).

you only need one data plan if you tether your phone to your tablet when you need some three-gees action. you wont use a tablet for voice so no issues there.

10. Fai

Fai Member

You really don't see the point?

example one - Mobile phone to work, come home put it into tablet on the couch. After dinner add keyboard, do some work.

Now this isn't my kind of product but I'm not closed minded enough to just dismiss it either. I can see this will be the perfect device/s for some people.

11. sanjay

sanjay Member

example one is already fulfilled by a separate phone and tablet? in fact a separate phone and tablet is better, as you can have a work one and a personal one.

mobile phone to work, come home and put phone next to transformer prime. tether. add keyboard to transformer prime to do some work.

in reality though, in your example, once youre at home youre within your wifi network, making the need to hook your phone up to your tablet/laptop completely superfluous.

that and following the WP thread, the padfone is actually going to be quite expensive.

im not closed minded, i love a new gadget as much as the next guy. when a new gadget shows poor implementation or does something worse than existing tech solutions though, it should be dismissed and derided because it does nothing to advance the state of technology.

12. Fai

Fai Member

Yeah that's all good. I get what you're saying, you have all three already. This isn't really designed to be used by more than one person obviously. It just adds freedom and while it may be expensive will it cost the same as having all three devices separately?

Like the guys said in the video, major selling point is the flexibility.

Only thing was I just found it strange that you couldn't see the point of a device like this at all :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  13. sanjay

sanjay Member

i cant see the point because the purpose is already served by a tablet + phone!

in fact, if the tablet worked independently of the phone (but the phone could be slotted in for telephony/data services, that would be a smart innovation.

14. pongie

pongie Member

The point is its only one device, so no need to sync anything. Everything follows you and it's the same interface and settings across your phone/tablet/NetBook. Easily pick up where you left off (I realize there are browsers with active tabs sync but this is taking that concept to the whole system).on the other hand it's a single point of failure now. Dead phone means you just lost your tablet and NetBook

15. OP
    OP
    ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

Not true. In my case this is the ultimate solution.
    I own:

Phone - Used Daily
    Tablet - Used Weekly (once to twice max)
    Laptop - Used Monthly. (once to twice max)

Reasons I like this concept.

- No 2nd data sim, (You can argue you can use tethering from phone but then your just using more data when you try to sync emails etc.)
    - No syncing needed. Always have when I need when I need it.

I only take my tablet with me for Intermediate meetings where I need to show a couple of graphs or pictures. My phone would be ideal for this but the screen is too small so this solution is perfect. It prevents me from having to manage a secondary device.

Laptop - Again I only use this for meetings maybe once a month where I actually need to type a fair bit of data.. Again brilliant solution just bring the keyboard along for the journey.

So instead of.

Phone - $600
    Tablet - $700
    Laptop - $1100

Ive got all 3 for half the price and a third of the weight... and more sustainable with a single data plan. :thumbup:

16. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I'd be looking at this if it comes here, for the same reasons as ikonz0r. It'd kill three birds with one stone if the price is right. I have like a 10 year old Nokia dumb phone, I rarely call anyone, but I'd like to be online while out and about and don't need an uber smart phone, the tablet+keyboard for laptop like use would be something I'd use as well at work or at home. :thumbup: Obviously it would depending on pricing and availability.

17. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

1) They can use their own bloody device.
    b) Sure, tethering is fine but then you're draining power on BOTH devices IF you're nowhere near a power source.
    iii) I prefer to have one portable device that does all of what I need, which includes telephony.

I don't own a tablet yet (mainly due to waiting for current mobile contract to finish) but I've been planning on getting either a Galaxy 7.7 or a Note. As I said previously, sometimes I'll only want to take a smaller device but other times a big screen would be nice.

The Padfone is aimed a people like me, not people like you who prefer multiple devices.

18. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Consider down the track when mobile tech is a little more refined:

You buy a tablet adapter and either a laptop dock or down the track they have a dock that allows you to plug it in to a PC monitor/mouse/keyboard and turn it in to a full PC. Both of which are much cheaper than buying stand alone devices because they're basically adapters with more IO ports (in the case of the tablet it has a screen too of course).

You go to work, you go out, you go home. You have all of your programs, data, etc with you at all time and you can seamlessly transfer between operating modes.

A year (or two) rolls around and it would be nice to have some more grunt and new features to run some things that have come out recently. You upgrade your phone to a compatible model and you keep all of the same accessories, so it only costs you the difference between what you sell your old phone for and what you buy the new phone for - no need to replace your tablet, dock or any accessories.

That all that said, I'd be very skeptical of it being at a worthwhile stage yet.

19. spammington

spammington Member

It's an interesting concept to be sure but I agree with you. I would only be using one or the other and most recent droid phones are nearing 5 inches and pack sufficient hardware for almost any endeavour, all a tablet does its adds a bigger screen and decreases portability.

20. koolkidd

koolkidd Member

For anyone interested mobicity is now selling these.

little pricy at 899 with no keyboard or stylus

still interested though.

Link here