ASUS ROG worth the dosh?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Tobes1990, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Tobes1990

Tobes1990 Member

Hey guys, due to some rather specific circumstances I need to purchase a laptop from Harvey Norman on an interest free deal.

I've found a Toshiba with a Gforce GT540M for $1500 or there is a 15" ASUS Republic of Gamer model with a GTX 560M for $2000.

Main uses are internet, media through an external monitor and some gaming (TF2, RFactor, CS Source, maybe BF3 later on)

Is it worth paying $500 extra and getting a shorter interest free period to get the ASUS model?

2. aeries

aeries Member

laptop? no.
    desktop? fuck yes.

3. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

EDIT: sorry i just looked at the date your thread was posted, hope i am not too late :(

what model is the toshiba ???

its a shame your stuck with having to get a notebook thru HN, your going to pay top dollar if your taking it on interest free terms, as they make their money from the higher retail costs they impose on their stuff, so they dont lose anything.

what sort of a reply is this ???

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  4. aeries

aeries Member

It answers the question in the OP. His question: ASUS ROG worth the dosh?

My response: laptop:no. Desktop: yes.

5. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

it was the way you typed it, however he mentioned 2 laptops to choose from, not a desktop.

6. Straferight

Straferight Member

I'd get the Asus, I like them a lot more than Toshiba (looks etc). If I'm going to be spnding 1k+ on an item I'd rather spend that bit more and get something I like.

7. aeries

aeries Member

Haha, what i'm trying to tell OP is that it's not worth it getting the premium ASUS ROG range on a laptop. If you want to game, just get an Alienware.

Edit: From HN? Get the Toshiba. In the end, my opinion doesn't really matter, get what you like.

8. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

We've got this coming out in the next month or so I believe. Should be interesting.

9. KriiV

KriiV Member

Wait did he type too quickly or something? :p

I've always found RoG products to be really good. I've run 2 generations of their desktop motherboards and my mates has a ROG laptop, its pretty good considering. :thumbup:

I'm not too impressed by Alienwares.. May as well get a desktop. ASUS ROG laptops (in most cases) are lighter and the battery lasts WAY longer.

10. MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

Might just be because I'm a design-y wanker but I cannot STAND the look of the new RoGs with the hump exhaust vents; the extra inch or so it pushes the screen forward just makes it look so bizarre to me :(

Which sucks cause they're awesome machines!

Out of the two definitely go the RoG.

Also a 14" one I don't think will go well tbh; it's like an m14x competitor and surely that didn't do well, way too heavy for its form factor etc. however I await details before I make up my mind.

Cheers

M

11. bigheadache

bigheadache Member

What we need is Asus to have a crack at making the successor to the Alienware M11x. there are already a few choices for 14-15inch and 17inch gamers, but nothing for gamers in the sub 11inch-13inch market aside from the W110ER.

12. Geno

Geno Member

ROG is worth the dosh if you'll honestly use half the features imo.

13. issa2006

issa2006 Member

Alienware M11x big failure, 100% hinge problems (splits = cracks), a customer of mine now looking into a new notebook, cause dell like many other scre him, fix, then splits again 2+ months later,

14. isaaus

isaaus Member

I have had my share of problems with Alienware, but M11x was no way a failure. Yes M11x r1 had hinge issue but it was resolved by the time Alienware released M11x r2. I have had it appear once in 4 M11x's I have owned. I have a M11x r1 bought shortly after it was available here in aus and its still going strong.

Have seen hinge cracking or plastic around hinge cracking in Asus/Lenovo and Toshiba, none fixed it under warranty and called it wear and tear or user damage. Alienware is still fixing hinge issues out of warranty.

15. power

power Member

Alienware have awesome warranty and ASUS while their warranty is pretty good is nowhere near as good.

Also they will only do so many repairs before replacing the entire unit.

Resale is higher too (if you are into that).

16. isaaus

isaaus Member

Spot on, while Alienware is pricey, they cannot be matched in warranty service.

17. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Can't agree more, Alienware, whilst very pricey, have excellent warranty support. I'd still go a Clevo though :)