1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

ASUS RT-AC86U

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by bitmonster, Sep 26, 2018.

1. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Have you set it to SMB 2.0, not SMB 1 +2 in Merlin? I think it falls back to SMB 1.0 if you select the default option, which means Windows 10 can't see it, since they removed SMB1.0 support a little while ago.

If that doesn't work, you can reinstall SMB1.0 in Windows 10 under Control Panel>Program and Files>Turn windows features on and off - tick the SMB 1.0/CIFS... box then reboot.

Make sure you've created at least one folder on your drive, such as Movies or Files or whatever, as it typically can't see just the root directory.

Then in File Explorer, right click on This PC, select map network drive, then enter \\192.168.1.1 and click Browse, and it should show the folder(s):

Untitled.jpg

If you still can't see the drive, then I'd recommend using NTFS rather than a Linux format like EXT4.

It should be $179 in store as well, I grabbed mine a few weeks ago in JB at that price.

2. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

Thanks.. I hadn't done the mapping step so I'll try that.

Yep SMB2 only.

My range is 192.168.2.x though.

Tried Diversion? It's pretty amazing.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

Yep drives show when doing that (is there a way they can be browsable).

If there is no way to make the first level directory shareable I will have to push it down a level .

Damn this router is nuts.. Loving it

4. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I don't have much expertise with network-related stuff, but as I understand it, network shares using Samba are done via folders, not the entire drive, so you can't just browse the root directory. Until someone with some expertise can provide some input, at least you've got network shares up and running and you can experiment a bit more :)

5. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

I worked it out..my drive was called Movies so I thought that was a directory.

Created a directory called Movies and moved all under that.

Fixed

6. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Great, enjoy!

I took a look at Diversion, seems interesting and I might play around with it later when I get the chance. For the most part, uBlock Origin on Firefox, and Adguard free on my iDevices does the job well enough - the main benefit of Diversion I assume is in blocking ads in things like apps. Does it block YouTube ads?

EDIT: Here's the link to Diversion for anyone else who's interested.

7. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

YouTube ads are different, I don't think anything can block a server side action.

But yes it works globally across all apps and devices. Surprising how much it catches.

Even Windows "telemetry" from the OS.

8. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

A new Merlin version came out a few days ago, seems to working fine.

Just wanted to see if you'd sorted everything out - you seemed to be enjoying getting the most out of this router.

There are some "Australian" RT-AC86U units selling for around $275 on ebay, e.g. these ones, but I'm not sure if they're actual Aussie units or imports with Australian plugs switched in. They're supposedly sealed brand new boxes, so they should be AU units...

9. caspian

caspian Member

I'd be careful about that. the seller's feedback history pretty clearly shows they're shipping from overseas - plenty of comments from other sales complaining about international shipping delays and devices with foreign power packs supplied with an adaptor.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  10. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I didn’t check carefully as I was heading out at the time, but that makes sense, ASUS isn’t going to allow anyone to undercut their exclusivity deal with HN with legitimate units.

I don’t really need the 86U as my 68U is doing its chores just fine, but if it dies it’d be nice to have a better option than giving Gerry $450.

11. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

Agreed, just stump up the Whingey Gerry tax and get the legit version but only after negotiating $50 - $100 off.
    It's a fantastic router and I don't want dramas with warranty and support if anything goes wrong. Don't buy from any dodgy dealers unless you're happy to risk it. Some are region hard coded too.

Very happy with it so far.

I now have a laptop with several SSH terminals open monitoring various aspects, and have Diversion and Skynet installed and blocking all sorts of junk. My partner mentioned she is seeing less ads on everything now which is remarkable.
    I have VPN set up with an Android OpenVPN client that auto-connects back through the router when I leave the house now so I leverage the protection even when out or when the phone used to annoyingly auto connect to open WiFi hotspots - now I don't care.

The range is out of this world. It actually gets 5G in the back yard where I used to struggle with 2G - even across the house. I may still get an outdoor 5G AP however it's very adequate for now and certainly not necessary. They really did well with the radio.

12. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I think for most people the AC68U is sufficient even though it's pretty old by now, and given it's almost half the price, that's why you won't see many people with the 86U. I still think it's a shame, because more people would probably upgrade if it was sub-$300.

Anyway, it sounds like it was a bargain for you at any price because you're really getting the most out of it :)

13. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

Yeah it's great. But generally it's a good idea to only upgrade every second leap - not every leap. So it is very reassuring to hear how overwhelmingly happy many still are with the previous model 68u.

I am a total Asus convert now. If I get a laptop it will be an Asus next time - not a Dell or Alienware or anything like that. Asus really seem to go hard and deliver for consumers rather than exclusively for shareholders.

Couldn't be happier with this router, it's the gift that keeps giving. Sure someone will come over and say 'oh I'm sceptical about all-in-one boxes blah blah blah' but whatevs it works and it's dead easy to set up and maintain - even with all the customisations I have going - namely Diversion and Skynet (they're just scripts that hook in to the existing system with minimal change or additional overhead).

VPN is a dream. I have wanted VPN for fifteen years or so and even had a router years ago that claimed to have a VPN accelerator but I long since gave up - just too hard.

So that Asus use actual standard open source kit like OpenVPN with in-built DynDNS is wonderful. VPN now just *works*. The minute I leave the house the phone dials home and connects in a flash. So easy to set up.

And the range is insane. 5G covers most of the yard. I still can't get over that. Every router I've had in the past struggled to cover the next room with 5G let alone the house or yard. Even 2G was always flakey in various corners of the house or yard. Not any more.

14. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

VPN is probably the biggest reason to upgrade from the 68U to the 86U, because as I understand it, the 68U is simply too weak processor-wise to encrypt at a high bitrate.

That was also a huge surprise for me even on the 68U - and the 86U has better antennae - the fact that when I switched from 2.4GHz to 5GHz in my long narrow house, the coverage is virtually end to end, through a range of materials which should by rights totally block out the 5G signal (glass, tiles, steel, multiple walls and doors). I tried 5G a couple of years ago on the same router and I could swear it seemed weaker than this. The one thing I can't be totally sure about is whether the Merlin firmware has anything to do with the 5G range. Logically, I doubt Merlin could do anything to boost 5G range legally, but because I switched to 5G exclusively, immediately after installing Merlin, I suppose I'll never know. What probably played a factor for me was that I did a full factory reset after installing Merlin, which may have helped. For the most part, the only real 5G tweaks I know of are to select a higher channel (149 and up) as that provides greater power to the signal.

bitmonster likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    bitmonster

bitmonster Member

Re: VPN - yep it's awesome. OpenVPN and paid Android "OpenVPN Cient" all the way.

Re: 5G - I doubt the firmware does anything, it's just an awesome design. I don't bother tweaking it. It works fine.