ASUS RT-AC87U w/ TP-Link Archer VR1600v

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Rabe, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Rabe

Rabe Member

So, I accidentally purchased the Asus RT-AC87U without realising it did not have a built in modem, but needed a standalone. It was bought based on reviews (great), but somehow missed the fact it had no modem. Regardless, I have had a few attempts and basically raged quit and put it back up for sale. Some responses in the thread have made me want to try again.

I’m using the crappy TPG modem/router that is provided when you sign up for their NBN plan (TP-Link Archer VR1600v) and have tried numerous different paths to get the new Asus working, listed below.

1. TP-Link set up as normal (functions through its existing WIFI), Asus set up in wireless router mode (default) and automatic IP as below

upload_2020-2-14_17-29-48.png

Below message is received. I’ve tried aggressive / normal mode for DHCP query frequency, have also tried using the same MAC address as TP-Link as per random forum posts on whirlpool to no avail.

upload_2020-2-14_17-29-57.png

2. TP-Link set up as bridging, and Asus set up with standard credentials as below.

upload_2020-2-14_17-30-2.png

TP-LINK:

upload_2020-2-14_17-30-8.png

Below message is received.

upload_2020-2-14_17-30-12.png

If anyone can lend any assistance to what the issue could be, I would be incredibly thankful. To note, I have been able to set it up in AP mode, though it just means I can’t use a lot of it’s features (VPN etc).

2. caspian

caspian Member

TPG use CVLAN tagged connections, you need to use VLAN ID: 2.

3. OP
    OP
    Rabe

Rabe Member

Yep, all configurations have been set up this way. Sorry I didn't include that in original post other than the bridge seeing.

4. caspian

caspian Member

now I look further, I think that's what the VID value in the TP-Link screenshot indicates?

with the TP-Link in bridged mode though, all it is is an ethernet to VDSL2 media converter - the VLAN tagging needs to be in the Asus, because that's what is generating the WAN traffic.

5. OP
    OP
    Rabe

Rabe Member

Yep it's in the Asus as well, is just in another screen I didn't take a capture of

6. caspian

caspian Member

connection works OK with the Archer VR1600v in default mode?

7. OP
    OP
    Rabe

Rabe Member

Yeah, I haven't had any issues with it other than the crappy wifi performance.

If there is any other information or logs or anything you want me to grab just let me know

8. caspian

caspian Member

just working through it as it occurs to me.

I know the Archer showed as "Connected" in your earlier screen shot, does it show a DSL stats and WAN stats page when in that state?

9. caspian

caspian Member

10. OP
    OP
    Rabe

Rabe Member

I've set the ISP profile on the ASUS to "none" which should remove the VID ID configuration, and have set up the TPLink as per the above link. Have also moved the ethernet cable between both routers to their respective WAN ports for this configuration (as apposed to AP).

Still disconnected as below.
    [​IMG]

DSL settings on TPLink when not bridged
    upload_2020-2-16_10-58-56.png

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020 at 2:00 PM
  11. caspian

caspian Member

I think the cable should be into a LAN port on the Archer, not WAN. WAN on the Asus is correct.

[edit]

I think you may need to do an additional step to bridge one specified LAN port to the WAN/VDSL2 interface on the Archer.

see this WP post: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2717311

in the first imgur link, you specify the VLAN tag of 2. (delete any other configurations for clarity.)
    in the second, group the LAN port you have cabled out to the WAN of the Asus with the WAN/VDSL2 interface on the Archer.

(so WAN/VDSL2----grouped----LANx on the Archer, and cable from physical port LANx on the Archer to WAN on the Asus.)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020 at 5:25 PM
    zeggie likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Rabe

Rabe Member

upload_2020-2-16_17-46-31.png

You champion, thanks so much with the help!

13. caspian

caspian Member

14. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I ended up doing a similar thing yesterday - we moved into our new house on saturday which uses fibre-to-the-node NBN. My Asus is ethernet WAN, same as yours, so I had to dig out an Optus NBN router thing with VDSL support and break into it to get it setup with Exetel. Thankfully there was plenty of material on that (link) and more importantly, it's fast enough for good speeds on 100/40mbit.

I've got it setup in ptm bridge mode to minimise the work it has to do, and on the AC68U I've configured the ethernet WAN with PPPoE and the exetel username / password. Also means I only have to use the ASUS interface to change firewall settings

Attached Files: